Washington Examiner
](https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/)

Follow

The Marines remind us that China is coming

Opinion by Tom Rogan • 1h ago

[image]

The Marines remind us that China is coming

The Marines remind us that China is coming© Provided by Washington Examiner

The U.S. Marine Corps recognizes that war with China over Taiwan or in the South China Sea will mean conflict on a combined naval, air, and land scale unseen since 1945. And unlike in 1945, space will be part of the battle. In turn, and with far greater speed and intrepidity than the other service branches, the Marines have been reforming to maximize their readiness to fight and win if the China war arrives.

These efforts have centered under Marine Corps Commandant Gen. David Berger’s “Force 2030” vision. It’s about making the Marines more nimble, survivable, and lethal in the face of the People’s Liberation Army. Returning to the Marines’ 1940s amphibious roots in the Pacific, hard service that included my grandfather (now 98 years old), Berger wants his force able quickly to get small groups of Marines on reefs, islands, and other positions in the South and East China seas. The intention is then to use these forward bases to sustain anti-naval, anti-air, striking, and intelligence operations for the rest of the U.S. military. These Marine units would also provide screening for the Navy, protecting vulnerable forces from surprise attack.

Put simply, the Marines intend to maximize what is known in military parlance as “friction” for the enemy. And they intend to do so at great risk to themselves, openly declaring their intent to operate in the “adversary’s weapons engagement zone.”

This bold effort to get Marines into harm’s way and keep them in the fight isn’t born out of some delusional gung-ho excitement for bloody war. Like my grandfather, today’s Marines know war is hell. On the contrary, Force 2030’s first design is the opposite effect: reinforcing Xi Jinping’s trepidation over what any war with the United States might entail so that he doesn’t launch such a war in the first place. As Berger put it to Congress in March, “Persuading an adversary that a quick win is not possible by demonstrating an ability to generate, regenerate, and sustain combat power is, in itself, a deterrent.”

Yet reform isn’t just complicated in terms of training, operations, and theory. It’s also complicated in terms of politics. To generate this new Marine Corps, Berger has divested the Marines of their cannon artillery and tank units. This has earned the ire of those who apparently want the Marines to fight the PLA’s superb Type-055 air defense destroyers with Abrams tanks.

The Navy has been slower to adopt a similar revolution in thinking, unable to generate forces quickly enough or to mitigate the threat posed by the PLA’s Dongfeng-class anti-ship ballistic missiles (dozens of which would employ redundant targeting capabilities to seek out U.S. aircraft carriers in war). It should be noted that the Biden administration and members of Congress, including those who know better, have further complicated the Navy’s situation.

Still, there is good cause for hope when it comes to the Marines. A Marine Corps video released on Thursday outlined the rapid progress that has been made. In a not-so-subtle rejection of other services that are lowering standards to boost manpower, the video pledges not to lower unit entry standards. And as a Marine narrator put it, “It’s not a question of if we’re going to go back to combat. It’s a question of when … we’re not interested in prepping the last fight. We’re interested in fighting the next fight.” This video fits with the Marines’ quite overt recognition in its more recent recruiting ads that a violent engagement with a Pacific nation is now its core focus.

To Biden’s credit, he has nominated Berger’s deputy and Force 2030 manager, Gen. Eric Smith, to become the next commandant.

10 Likes

My biggest worry is if a conflict with china arose, I think the draft would have to be reinstated. With today’s education system how many would opt to run to Canada or Mexico ot simply flat out leave?

3 Likes

In an all-out war, maybe. But I don’t think a war with China in the 2020s is going to look anything like the war with Japan in the 1940s. Throwing more people at the problem may or may not help, especially people who don’t feel the call to serve a higher purpose.

4 Likes

Just look at Russian young men who fled.

3 Likes

I wonder who will build the best killer robots, China or the U.S.?

But the question isn’t all that relevant. The real question is how long it will take for the autonomous war machines to join forces and turn against their human oppressors.

9 Likes

To many would run. They want all or nothing from our country. I got turned down for military service because I was born with Astma. Also my father who served 40 years was in Vietnam and in the agent orange. So I turned to being a firefighter/emt for 21 1/2 years. I am willing to stand and fight for our country and patch up the wounded.

6 Likes

I was fortunate in that I was able to get the best of both worlds. Serve in the Navy, but assigned to the Marines. I had a pretty unhappy youth, and wound up getting myself adjudicated as an adult and got my GED, this borked me with the Marine Corps. The Corps was not accepting people with GED’s. So I worked the system to get what I wanted.

4 Likes

You realize that you dont just serve thr country, but also setve under leaders. If military leaders want young men to put their lives in peril, it is wise not to condemn their skin color or make them worship drag queens.

1 Like

Holy Duck, is that really what you think of the military? You think today’s Soldiers are just a bunch of racists running around in drag? You need to find some different news sources.

1 Like

Having served in the Marine Corps infantry during the gulf war, I have all faith in the Corps on the platoon, company and battalion levels.
The problem for the Corps, and the other branches, is modern PC political ideology, which is too fixated on what ‘feels good and fair’, this infects the generals and civilian DOD staff and will ultimately lower the combat readiness of the Corps and other branches.

3 Likes

Sounds more like we are ‘coming’ (or, planning on going)?

When I was in the army , 87-91, there was a heavy emphasis that everyone was green not white, not black, not latino but green. That came from everyone that had any rank,sgt and above. If the above is true; what happened to respecting rank over ideology?

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, up to the rank of Lt. Colonel (and SOME bird colonels), you have leaders, for the most part. After they acquire their first star, many of them begin to morph into political animals whose focus is to do whatever is necessary to get the next star. Apparently, this involves less emphasis on leadership and more emphasis on checking the boxes to advance the next higher rank. A talent for administering copious numbers of hickies to long lines of distinguished posteriors also isn’t a handicap in that endeavor.

1 Like

It’s still there. I’m still plugged in to service organizations and I’ve never seen the garbage that people like to talk about. Joe is still Joe, regardless of what the politicians and the politics-as-entertainment new organizations would have us believe. And some of the worst offenders are veterans who get their kicks belittling those who are still serving (I hate to say this, but it’s too often true).

3 Likes

Marines will always be Marines, not to sure about the army. Navy & airforce not an issue…

3 Likes

What kind of rage did the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs want to understand? What is the recent cringeworthy drag promo campaign in the Navy?
What do you expect an average Joe who saw this would think? I cant dismiss this as junk news report.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Not getting into the mud slinging about the military. Just speaking about the Village People and “In The Navy”. That is a meme not an official recruiting song. The Navy gave the Village People access to Naval Frigate Reasoner. But did not approve the song. If you were part of the Navy, you know the crew would show up to anything as boredom was a real issue. I can remember playing epic “Risk” games where we had to play in shifts and made our own tokens for armies because we would run out of tokens that came with the game. Could have 4-5 guys playing for each side and as one sailor would go on duty, another one would tag in to play.

As far as that f**king song, I hated that song with a burning passion. I was 17.5 when I joined the Navy and I can’t tell you how much crap I caught being…

A) Young
B) Skinny asf

So that song became something I hated anytime we were in an American port on liberty/leave. If you were at a venue where alcohol and music were. You were guaranteed to hear that song if the civilians knew you were Navy. The very first thing I purchased after boot camp was civvies and some Porfram/Poromeric footwear (mirror shined, not needing to be shined).

P.S. Not only civvies played it. Also other branches of the military.

P.P.S. I was very thin skinned at that point in my life and not the comfortable in my own skin, dead :skull: sexy beast of a man that I am today :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

If I recall correctly, that photo is from a USO show. When it started floating around the interwebs, I recall one retired Sailor say something along the lines of “As if it isn’t hard enough to stay straight after 8 months at sea.” :laughing:

I get your point about the song, though.
Edit: Do you suppose Randy Savage felt the same way about ‘Macho Man’?

2 Likes

China all ready has about 5 divisions all ready on US soil
they been crossing the southern border for a wile now
so see the fight but watch your 6
hopefully us old codgers can clean up the roaches here at home

2 Likes