The Danger of Social Engineering

I would like to respond to Leo23 and others regarding encounters with “dumb” people. These posts generally fall in the category of, “They Walk Among Us”.

Everyone enters life with different levels of intellectual potential. Logical-Mathematical, Linguistic-Verbal, Visual-Spatial and Musical intelligences are a few that have been identified. Not one of us is perfect at anything and the most intelligent among us do “dumb” things. We are, after all, human.
In my opinion, many of the choices and errors we make are caused by deficits of formal and informal education. Some of this can be attributed to our education system. I say this as a retired teacher, knowing there are thousands of very dedicated educators teaching our children.

However, some appear to be obsessed with social/cultural concerns. Here are three examples:

1. Focusing on sexual orientation/identity at an early age.
  2. Trashing our national identity and history.
  3. And, most recently, promoting antisemitism.
    Is there anyone who believes these are more important than the foundational skills of communication, math and logical thinking?

Recent data tells us only 23% of high school students are proficient in math while 32% achieve proficient reading levels. These statistics portend a dysfunctional society with a high percentage of unemployable individuals and the attendant crime, drug use and homelessness.

Following our formal education, many focus on entertainment (sports, movies, partying, etc.) with few taking the time to study the social/political environment in which we live. Don’t believe me? Watch one of the “man-on-the-street” interviews in which ordinary citizens cannot identify the most basic knowledge that leads to informed voting choices.

We appear to have lost sight of education as the great human equalizer. Using it as a social engineering cudgel is leading us down a very unhealthy path.

14 Likes

People should discover and listen to Thomas Sowell.

8 Likes

Well said

3 Likes

This is my go-to on-line reading …

Mises Institute

2 Likes

Life is hard, but life is hardest when you’re dumb …

Life Is Hardest When You’re Dumb - YouTube

4 Likes

Thanks for your wisdom and caring about education. Congrats on being retired. What subject/subjects did you teach? Do you miss being a teacher? Did you love it? What have you been doing to stay busy besides USCCA Forum. Any more words of wisdom feel free.
We don’t need no education :notes:

1 Like

@BeanCounter I have listened to Mr. Sowell for awhile and he just answered a question that has perplexed me for a long time and again recently. :thinking:

4 Likes

This is a reply to Robert1246 who asked some personal questions. I taught automotive technology at the HS and JC levels. I loved the challenge of creating meaningful curriculum that gave my students the tools to succeed in life. Ten years ago, my wife and I retired to become missionaries for our church. Our jobs were to support the young missionaries. I took care of their cars and bicycles and my wife was secretary to the mission. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

We appreciate your wisdom and knowledge and I hope to find and look forward to more of your “nuggets of knowledge and wisdom” posted on our site. This is meant in the deepest of respect. I know, this unusual for me, but truly meant.

1 Like

back around 76 or so I attended college…

ran into a teacher there that IMHO was going to be our future…

he constantly hammered capitalism and everything American…

crowed about anything that did so…and always had wonderful things to say about the CCP…

I had things to say and said them… he took me aside and offered me a solid “C” grade if…

I would stop coming to class???

wrote some letters about it to some people in power but never got a reply…

I consider him as one of the first… “social engineers”…

3 Likes