That's not an OK thing

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/gun-owners-arent-scary-or-scared/

Every interaction we have as a responsibly armed American represents everyone who carries - whether we want it to or not.

How would you have guided the woman who spoke so graphically about her desire to hurt another? Would you have addressed it in the cab?

4 Likes

In my opinion it’s far far better to think what you would like to do in your head because when you say something or write something that which you want to do or would like to do then you’re done. It’s committed to paper for all time. My advice is keep those kinds of thoughts to yourself in your own head and do not commit those thoughts to paper or so other people’s ears can hear and process the words you just negligently and foolishly said. Keep those types of thoughts private and shut thy pie hole in other words. It’s far better to say something to yourself out of frustration than to speak or write something like I said committing the written words to paper or voicing to others is asking for a lifetime of trouble and grief.

2 Likes

I would want to address the statement but not publicly. I was taught long ago to praise openly and counsel privately. People say a lot of things they do not really mean without thinking it through. I also understand the sentiment of her having been a victim of a crime and think back to the what ifs. We have no idea what the crime was committed and her “feelings” may be justified but it is never a good idea to verbalize that in public.
I would want to discuss the specifics and work toward a generalization from “shoot him in the face” to “adequately defend myself.” I’d also suggest that some counseling might be appropriate as there may be some repressed feelings that need to be explored based on the comment.

3 Likes

I read that from Beth earlier this week and thought, ok we all need to drink a cup of “simma down now.”

The woman was recounting an incident that caused her great trauma and assuming she wasn’t just talking about the local coffee shop getting her order wrong, I think we (society) need to allow for some basic/natural venting.

She said “I wish I had shot him in the face”…if we’re honest, how many times have we (any of us) heard about some dirt bag in the news (think child molester, rapist, murderer etc), where we’ve said out loud, “boy I’d like to put a hole in his head” or “string him up and gut him” or worse?

Yeah, we maybe we should keep those thoughts to ourselves, and maybe it doesn’t represent us (as gun owners or human beings in general) but if we’re discussing topics that are emotional then how can we not expect for emotional responses to be made?

So relax, unless she started plotting and drawing out how she was going to go about getting some revenge, then chalk it up to an emotional response to a tragic event that had occurred to her. It’s to be expected.

My two cents.

2 Likes

That was my thought as well.

I’m not sure the chill had entirely to do with the face-shooting comment… perhaps it had to do with having just been witness to a womans outpouring of pain, rage, and vulnerability, or intimate information about her assault.

I’m not actually that bothered by what she said… “I wish I had…” was an expression of her experience and frustration and anger and sense of impotence, not a declaration of her plan for revenge.

I don’t think I’d have addressed it with the driver, and I don’t think I’d be addressing it with her, unless it became a repeated wish or a recurring theme.

In that moment I think she deserves the grace of being allowed to express her personal distress, and not to have to carry the weight of “representing all gun owners”. In that moment she was representing her own wounded self, and that’s allowed.

1 Like