Thanks state of NY for making me feel like a criminal

Well I guess I did it to myself but it is of course due to goofy laws in NY. I just drove to Corning then Lake George for a few days and only after I arrived in Lake George did I realize my IWB Glock 19 was still fully loaded. I had completely forgotten about the 7 rounds in a magazine law and I can legally carry in all 50 states due to LEOSA. But from my understanding NY makes no exemption for this. I’m sure someone from NY will have better info on your state laws. But I did download to 7 rds in the mag with 1 still in the chamber and went out. At the end of the day I say screw it and threw all the rds back in the mag. This was a chance I was going to take. But thank you NY for making me feel like a criminal. When I attended a retiree cookout with a bunch of retired friends from my agency a few years ago we discussed this 7-rds law and we all agreed that there is no chance in hell anyone of us would have done anything but look the other way and advising the person download to 7 just to be safe. (If this was a VA law) Anyone in NY hearing of this being enforced around your state?

5 Likes

I was always a proud to be New Yorker, born and raised. Served in law enforcement for 20 years. Now with all this nonsense going on I’m glad I relocated to VA. I go back to visit family and that’s about it. I would never live there again. I even lived in NJ for 2 years and will never go back. Sorry they made you feel like that brother @EODK9Trainer, it’s a damn shame.

5 Likes

Hey Johnny,

VA since 73. Shenandoah Valley. I love much of NY with the Finger Lake regions and I love the Lake George area. I’ve been into the big city numerous times for work and fun and no more. Great state being ruined by the masses in the city.

1 Like

Reviving an old thread here… I saw metion of my old home town, Corning. I was born and raised in the Chemung valley, then Buffalo, then lived in Wayne County before finally moving to FL at age 40. The Finger Lakes were my summer stomping grounds. I really don’t think there is a more beautiful area in the country.

Now, with all that, is it possible at all for a non resident to even bring a gun into the state? I want to be able to drive there, and my FL CCL allows me to go through every state between here and there, but I don’t think NY makes it possible for me to even keep a gun in the trunk once I cross from PA. I’d end up driving the whole way unarmed because I can’t even possess a handgun in NY (let alone have it on me), if I’m reading the laws right. Is this correct?

1 Like

Brother @Joseph488
I wouldn’t even chance it. If I happen to travel through NY or PA I would then read up on the laws extensively. I went to visit family and went unarmed, that is sad. Even though the I served in LE for 20 years they would probably treat me like a criminal.

1 Like

Yeah, as I’m reading their current laws now, it looks like they’ve made it impossible for anyone without a NY license to even possess a handgun in NY, and only residents can apply for a NY license. That must be one safe, crime free state, LOL!

1 Like

You risk felony arrest and prosecution if you take a handgun to or through the state of NY. Or NJ. And possibly others but definitely those two.

3 Likes

Yeah, that does now seem to be the case.

I’m probably one of the most lawful, careful people out there. To think that the simple act of even possessing something I’ve lawfully purchased here in Florida (and the Constitution absolutely guarantees I can do), and habitually have on me all day long like my phone and wallet, would somehow make me a felon just because I drive across some invisible line on I-90 south of Lake Erie, is hard to comprehend. Its no different than somehow being arrested in NY for saying FJB, but I’m allowed to print it on t shirts all day long in Florida. The Constitution says I have that right.

We have a very long way to go, brothers and sisters.

3 Likes

I see this thread is discussing a LEO carrying in NY, which I am not, but looking for any alternative to being unarmed for a week in the northeast… In a few weeks I am heading to ME, NH and VT but will be spending a night near the finger lakes in NY; based on everything I can find online, I should not risk carrying due to the risk of a felony charge. I assume disassembling the gun, like for a thorough cleaning, and locking the parts in a lockbox would not satisfy the anti-2A laws of New York. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1 Like

Left NY a few years. It was an amazing state where I raised my kids and had some great time (I lived in a solid Republican town and county). Taxes going up every year by over 10% and idiots in government getting elected statewide forced me out. The current owner of my old place is now paying over $30,000/year in property taxes! Screw them…

Moved South and it’s much better on all fronts but the NY cancer is growing South bringing their BS with them, so I’m headed far west and leaving the whole Eastern USA in my rear view mirror forever in about a month.

I’ll NEVER set foot north of Virginia ever again as long as I live. (Where’s the one finger salute emoji?)

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Steven468 and you will be happy here. There is a lot to learn and good people to learn from.

2 Likes

You coming to Utah?

1 Like

Close and maybe. Joining son in Phoenix first and using it as an home base and then we’ll be exploring Nirth and slightly east. to figure out final destination to grow new roots in.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Steven468

My understanding is you would still be violating NY laws. There are Federal laws that should allow you to transport your properly stored and unloaded firearms through NY if you are going from a place you can posses them to another place you can possess. But you wouldn’t be able to stop in NY and it’s my understanding that many NY LEOs will ignore the Federal laws and arrest you anyways. Which would likely result in some time behind bars and a whole lot of legal fees with questionable chances of proving your innocence until your case made it to a Federal appeals court.

One option would be to ship your firearm to an FFL in VT, NH or ME and then ship it back when you leave. But you would likely have to pay the transfer fees both ways unless you find a sympathetic FFL.

MA, CT and NJ are other States to avoid if possible as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @Shamrock. This is what I expected. I guess I should have selected south/southwest for my vacation… :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the welcome from all and the knowledge sharing.

2 Likes

Folks. I am a member but did not sign up for all these emails. Is there a means where I can be removed from this list?

Thanks,

Wayne

1 Like

Click on your avatar

Pick the Body Figure at the bottom of the right column
Pick Preferences
Pick “Emails” in the second row - Set it up however you’d like

1 Like

I see no Avatar on this email. Should I be on a particular site?

Click on the circular picture in the upper left corner of your post, just left of “EODK9Trainer”

1 Like