Out of State CCHDF Instructor Course in NY- firearms transporting question

Hello all!
I’m fairly new to the community as I only recently signed up for the CCHDF Instructor Certification class (in NY). I wish I had considered this prior but only as I was reading the NYS concealed carry laws did it become a concern how an out of state student might need to proceed. I have my enhanced permit to carry in SD (where I currently live) and will be traveling to upstate NY to visit family and also to take the CCHDF instructor certification while there. I had no intention of trying to carry my pistol other than locked in the same approved case for air travel, and during the actual class, but if I were to be pulled over with the locked firearm in my trunk, would this be in violation of NYS laws?? As a resident of a different state, am I technically not able to even have my pistol in that state? Hoping someone has some insight into this issue! TIA!! :blush:

3 Likes

Welcome to our group! Unfortunately, as best as I can interpret the NY State laws, and I am not a lawyer, they make it almost an impossible catch 22 trying to bring ANY handgun at all into NY.

As best I can tell, you have to have a New York Pistol Permit to simply possess any handgun of any type in any way within the boundaries of New York State, and the only way to get a NY Pistol Permit is to be a permanent resident, and go through a long, drawn out process. If you own handguns and want to go to NY with them, you need to find someplace out of state to store them, move to NY, establish residency, apply for a pistol permit, wait, get said permit, register your guns on your permit, and finally go bring them to NY. Then, if you want to carry a gun, you need to go through an additional process of getting a concealed carry license, which, again, can take a year from what I understand. This is after SCOTUS told them they were violating the Constitution.

I have family in WNY and have wanted to carry while driving there (even if it meant not carrying while in NY) and basically gave up hope. I’m in FL and have the FL CCW, bu5 it’s worthless according to the geniuses in Albany.

8 Likes

In general as an out of State resident traveling in NY your 2A rights are denied. I believe there is an exemption for people taking part in certified shooting competitions. Not sure if they also have an exemption for training. I believe there also is a hard and fast no ifs ands or buts magazine capacity limit. The law says only 7 rounds but they are supposedly allowing 10 round mags due to pending court cases.

Your best bet would be to see if you can borrow a firearm from the person giving the training but I’m not sure if that would be legal in NY. Either way your best bet would be to contact the instructor and see if they know the answer or better yet consult with a NY lawyer with experience in firearms law.

Also be aware that in States like NY you can follow all the applicable laws and still face criminals charges if caught in possession of a firearm.

6 Likes

If you reside outside of NYS, you don’t have a permit for a handgun issued by NYS, and you go to NYS with that handgun, you are committing a felony and should expect to be arrested and charged as such as soon as a law enforcement entity finds out

Do not go to or through the state of New York with a handgun, without a license for that handgun issued by the state of New York, unless it is worth the very real risk of felony arrest and prosecution

5 Likes

Ok, so the good news is that the class is actually right over the Pennsylvania border, not actually in NY. And it looks like they’ll honor my enhanced carry from SD. :raised_hands:t3: The only downside sounds like I’ll need to ship it there for my arrival, which sounds better than the situation I would’ve been in if it were in NY. :grimacing: Thank you for chiming in with your guy’s expertise! I appreciate it!!

6 Likes

Yeah, as crappy as it is, if you have to drive through NY, shipping it to yourself (which is a pain in the butt itself) is the way to go

5 Likes

I can at least handle that part…and thankfully it doesn’t involve committing a felony. :woman_facepalming:t3:

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Stacy14 just take the red marker and fill in NY on the Reciprocity map.
If Pennsylvania accepts your permit why do you need to ship your firearm, or did I miss something.

3 Likes

I’m flying into Albany and staying in Upstate NY with family.

5 Likes

@Stacy14 Welcome to the community, and glad you found a solution for your travels, good luck out there, and stay safe.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family @Stacy14 and you are in the right place at the right time.

5 Likes

From what I’ve read about NY (and NJ) gun laws, traveling there with a firearm is a dicey proposition. I’d rethink going to any training there if it requires that you bring your own firearm. Maybe borrow a gun when you get there.

3 Likes