Tennessee proposing law to deny people on SSRI's right to buy/own a gun?

I don’t understand why this is so complicated? If your taking medication narcotic or not, thats been approved by the FDA on valid prescription and your using it properly you are fine. If its not been approved by the FDA or your not taking approved medication with a prescription, buying it off the street and abusing it your not fine.

Your adding all these complications. It seems your more interested in making a political argument about the ATF, when this comes down to what narcotics are legal for use per the FDA. Come off it man.

1 Like

I have watched what is happening in Tennessee with a fair amount of alarm, considering it’s a Conservative Southern State.

I would have never believed anything like what Tennessee is considering, to have been even remotely possible in what is considered the Deep South.

4 Likes

FYI, only a part of TN is considered deep south and not all agree to saying that.

I think it was in this thread, someone said a paper clip could be considered an assault weapon…

3 Likes

I did a search Ctrl-F, and the only posting of paper, clip or paperclip was in your post.

Forgive me, I’m old senile and can’t read any more. I trip when I chew gum. :crazy_face::grin:

4 Likes

I may believe old but I’m not buying senile, I’ve seen your posts, to me, your pretty well intact.

3 Likes

This legislature would cause a stigma towards those who need mental health support, and serve as a deterrent to getting the help that they need.

This would result in an increase of untreated or unmanaged mental health patients who would be afraid of being singled out and denied rights.

4 Likes

And add to the the number of untreated mentaly ill people that are carrying guns.

2 Likes

Short step from 10 drugs to any/all drugs. Or people who don’t drink only Bud Light Or people with certain tattos. Or anyone over the age of 55.

3 Likes

What does Bud light go to do with this? I care about the american constitution. Not people’s culture wars.

It’s about the gradual erosion of our rights. You can’t give an inch because then they’ll take a mile.

5 Likes

It was joke. Lighten-up, Francis (reference to the movie Stripes). So you have no issue with his comment about those with tattoos, or over 55, but God forbid he further the humor by adding a comment about Bud Light. His entire comment was:
“Or people who don’t drink only Bud Light Or people with certain tattoos. Or anyone over the age of 55.”

4 Likes

Thanks Dave17!

2 Likes

I agree with you Karacal . If so one is psycho or skiso kind of problems , I could see CONSURN and people with mental illness should have their doctors!! Say . If their patients are mentally sound!!! And if they are seeing things that are not there!! Or running from any thing that is not chasing them. Or they want to harm them selfs or OUTHERS!! The I BLEAVE they should .!! Have A doctor to say if they are crazy . But as for taking medicine that is prescribed !! The DOCTORS SHOULD BE ABLE TO DECIDE !!! If they are . Willing to stand GOOD FOR THEIR patients. State of health!! Because they will get to . Say if you take ALEEVE. And TYLONEL. ASPIRIN!! And just use anything and every thing to take our firearms !!! And no I do not take mental medicine . Just Like if you drink alcohol. They will say that you are an alcoholic and they will take your firearm’s because you pissed the bed . It’s big brother control for all at the end of your the only one in your right mind! Just think about that! An alcohol kills more people than firearms!! And then they will want every one to take the train or bus. Because you had some wine with your dinner :question::question::question::owl::feather::feather::us::chile:where do we DRAW THE LINE. About our FREEDOM :question::question::question:

It was a joke, haha

1 Like

I BLEAVE if you smoke marry Jane or eat it your High and braking the LAW :bangbang: FEDERAL LAW,!! And they will take you firearms away and if anyone is high I do not want them around me with a LOADED .BB ,GUN. Being stoned is VERY DANGEROUS WITH HANDLING A FIRE ARM :bangbang:Bobby Jean :owl::feather::feather::us::chile::100::100::100::bangbang:

1 Like

People on SSRIs have diagnoses that are a far cry from things like paranoid schizophrenia or any related psychosis. Why are we not seeing the same for people prescribed lithium? Not that I am for that either.

3 Likes

Also I know there is quite a bit of discussion in this thread about marijuana and stimulants as well as opiates. It is much different to take an SSRI than it is to shoot up heroin or snort a line of coke. If you are impaired…you shouldn’t be handling a firearm…the same as if you have been drinking.

4 Likes

My position is just because you are prescribed the medication, it should have no bearing on your gun rights. I will leave mental health issues to question H. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

5 Likes