Tennessee Pro 2nd bill

There is a bill before the Tennessee House. All Tennessee residents need to contact their state Reps and voice their opinions!

4 Likes

The guts of the law provides …

“On or after July 1, 2024, a public office, public officer, or employee of this state or a political subdivision of this state shall not enforce, attempt to enforce, or participate in any way in the enforcement of a federal law, executive order, administrative order, rule, statute, ordinance, or regulation regarding firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories.”

and

“(1) Notwithstanding another law to the contrary, if a public office or political subdivision of this state employs a law enforcement officer who knowingly violates this section, then the public office or political subdivision employing the law enforcement officer is liable to the injured party in an action at law and is subject to a civil penalty of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) per occurrence”

A couple questions, for what they are worth …

1. Who pays the $50,000/occurrence fine? It appears that it is the taxpayers who employ the offending public employee who violated the law since the fine is levied against the “public office or political subdivision employing the law enforcement officer.”

2. Does this ban on enforcement of federal firearms laws include possession of firearms by drug users, illegal aliens, persons under 18, those charged/convicted of domestic violence, and felons, firearm prohibitions that fall under federal law?

4 Likes

By my non lawyer self interpretation,….

Yes,

And yes.

You’re the lawyer here, you tell me in common tongue what this says?

1 Like

That’ss how I read it, as well. Not sure TN gun owners would be keen to: (1) pay the $50k fines or (2) walk away from the federal bans on prohibited persons.