Hr 6946

Just received this back from my Rep,

“Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 6945, the No Retaining Every Gun In a System That Restricts Your Rights (No REGISTRY) Act. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

By way of background, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is the primary federal agency responsible for administrating federal law governing firearms and explosives commerce. The ATF is prohibited from maintaining personal records of gun owners and dealers unless specifically permitted under federal law. Recently, in responding to a letter authored by Representative Michael Cloud (R-TX), the ATF disclosed that they are currently managing 920,664,765 firearm purchase records. These records are designated as Out of Business Records (OBR), since they were obtained after licensed gun sellers went out of business.

As you know, H.R. 6945 was introduced by Representative Michael Cloud on March 7, 2022. This legislation would amend Title 18 of the United States Code to terminate the collection of firearm transaction records of discontinued firearms businesses by the federal government. Additionally, it would require the destruction of already collected firearm transaction records accumulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).

H.R. 6945 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee for further consideration. Though I do not serve on the committee of jurisdiction, please know should H.R. 6945 or related legislation come to the House floor for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

To stay up-to-date on legislation being considered on the House floor, please visit the Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy’s website to find the weekly schedule. The schedule is updated at the beginning of each week the House of Representatives is in session in Washington, D.C. Additionally, you may watch the House floor proceedings on the livestream, here.

I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your opinions and hope you will continue to contact me in the future. In closing, please know I consider it a privilege to serve and represent you and your family in Congress.

Sincerely,

Mark E. Amodei
Member of Congress

8 Likes

So if he 6946 in enacted wouldn’t we be destroying the evidence of breaking title 18 just sayin.

1 Like