Clarity

I have, for a long time, been under the impression that firearm purchase records were held for 1 year. This morning while reading the things Biden is being asked to sign executive orders for, gun confiscation came up. The article in my email stated that the atf has records of all store bought firearms dating back 50 years. Does anyone know the true number? I’d like to hear from you.

1 Like

The ATF has the records of FFLs that went out of business, and other circumstances. Otherwise, the FFLs have the Forms 4473 until they retire or whatever. The ATF can inspect FFL records, but they are not allowed to copy the Forms 4473 to prevent any type of national registry. The ATF does have the records from the NFA items that we are required by federal law to register with them and our state police, but that is another story.

7 Likes

Thanks. Much appreciated.

1 Like

@Dave17 is right. You know how Walmart was talking about closing their gun sections. Say one of the stores does, they have to transfer the FFLs to either another gun dealer or to the ATF. when the ATF does inspect them, I would bet money that they make copies. Can’t say for sure of course, but their Trixie little hobit’s.

2 Likes

They can make and keep copies, but these copies cannot be legal grounds for a search warrant, are not admissible in court, etc. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Gun shops (FFL’s in General) are required to keep the 4473 for on hand 7 years and then they can destroy them. That being said they are required to keep the “hard bound” log indefinitely. This rule was written prior to the advent of computers and the authorization of computer “Hard Bound Logs” primarily for storage purposes and fire hazard. That said if a shop goes out of business it is required to turn over their hard bound logs to the ATF. So theoretically yes the ATF “could” have logs that date back 50 years but I’d be willing to bet on say 1995 or so as IIRC that was when computers were authorized for use by FFL’s. I’m probably off on the computer log date but it was somewhere around then. The real worry is the NEW 4473 which has ALL the information on one page as opposed to the “OLD” version that had your personal info on one page and what you bought on the 2nd. That said 4473’s are serialized so with scanning tech now that’s not an issue. Essentially if you filled out paper there is a better than even chance that the ATF will have access to it, that has always been a real thing.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Can this de-facto registry be used as grounds to issue a search warrant? I.e., John Smith didnt register his AR(as may be required soon), but ATF kinda knows he’s got it.

2 Likes

If they write the law that way, then yes. Our current laws have nothing to do with what they will dream up next.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. I guess I was hoping to hear that there was a timeline when the info got trashed. So much for that thought!

That’s good to know. I knew I should not worry :slight_smile: about registration, cause it’s a done deal.

ATF

4 Likes

I’d shop there.
Why has no one opened this store?

3 Likes

Ummm, an FFL from the F.B.I.? L.O.L.

Sorry, had to do it!

When the feds changed the name some buds and I were sitting around over car parts yukking it up and one surmised that he would open a shop under the new department’s acronym.

ATF & E

Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.

rebranded to

BCG & S

Booze, Cigars, Guns & Strippers.

I think we are all mostly still willing to kick in on the idea.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Federal Vice Squad?
Fun Police?
National Nannies?
Bureau of Bomont (Footloose reference)?

1 Like

National Hall Monitors.

3 Likes