Taurus G3C and Hollow Point Ammo

Greetings, I own a G3C and I’ve read that because of the steepness of the feed ramp some hollow point ammo will hang up and not feed smoothly. As I haven’t run any hollow points through my G3C yet I can neither verify or deny these claims. I’m looking for first hand accounts of whether this has been a problem for anyone and what they did to rectify the problem and also what hollow point brands seem to feed just fine.

3 Likes

have seen some claims the way to prevent that is very fine sand paper and a dowel that fits the ramp…

and then very carefully smooth out the ramp???

never tried it myself so can’t claim it works…

3 Likes

You should contact the manufacturer. WRT to @Vipertech1971 post regarding sandpaper and the feed ramp - don’t do it. If the manufacturer say it is acceptable you can try polishing the feed ramp (plenty of online vids on proper equipment and technique). Also, not all hollow point cartridges are alike. On some there is a noticeable ridge transition from the bullet to the cartridge, while others have varying degrees of dimpling or creases on the bullet itself. If you slide the tip of your pinkly finger from the nose of the bullet down to the cartridge and feel any ridges or rough spots there is a good change that round is going to cause problems. This may occur randomly in any box of ammo. After doing all of this if you still have ammo problems you may want to try a composite (graphite/copper, etc.) round.

3 Likes

Larry130, thanks for the advice. I had heard about the polishing but that it would void the warranty. I currently have Winchester jacketed hollow points which according to other G3C owners is supposed to feed just fine. I still have to make my way to a range to verify that fact though.

2 Likes

Not what you’re looking for but things like this are why I can’t help via experience as I won’t buy a Taurus, too many things like this

1 Like

I get it. Taurus makes a very good firearm at a great price point. It’s a joy to shoot but I just have to make sure the self defense ammo I choose is reliable.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the Taurus. But I have a Ruger LCP2 and LCP Max that both have essentially vertical feed ramps at the point the bullet first contact them. I actual thought that was contributing to the many issues I was having with my LCP2 when I first got it. But after I sent it back and they replaced almost everything but the frame it worked perfectly with FMJ and hollow points. The same with the Max which worked perfectly out of the box. I’m still not sure why they designed the feed ramp that way but it doesn’t seem to impact reliability with the several different HP rounds I have tried.

For me if the firearm can shoot a couple hundred FMJs with no issues I will then usually run at least 100 rounds of my preferred HP SD ammo through it. If it handles all those with zero hiccups then I feel pretty confident that it is a reliable combo.

1 Like

The Hornady critical duty has issues feeding, I believe its because it has a longer bullet, its longer and a bit skinnier, I have had no issue with regular hollow points like gold dot

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Jonah6

Thanks for sharing your experience!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Jonah6

2 Likes

In my wife’s G3C, we have used Hornady Critical Defense and Federal .147 HST JHP with no feed problems.

2 Likes

I have a couple older millennium 111 g2 both have issues with hollow points that have a rubber (?) Tip inserted into the tip. Doesn’t like to feed these.

2 Likes

I have the PT-709 and that gun will eat anything, mix or match. Never a hiccup.
Now if the trigger pull didn’t suck I would still love her. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Made it to the range today and ran 50 Winchester 147 gr JHP through it without a single issue. Every one fed smoothly with no hang ups whatsoever.

5 Likes

I actually had feed problems with many name brand hollow points after buying my G3c. I sent mine back to Taurus. They replaced some springs ( I don’t recall which. It was over a year ago) and it eats everything now. I use Hornady gunner 124gr +P.

4 Likes