Tactical Tuesday: The Reset Drill

The Reset Drill is a great way to warm up when you first arrive to the range. It helps you to become comfortable with getting rounds quickly and accurately on target.

Start from a high ready position, fire one shot on command and keep the trigger pressed to the rear. On the command of “reset,” slowly release the trigger forward until you hear the pistol reset and feel it with your trigger finger. Then fire one round on target and repeat.

The Reset Drill is a great way to practice good shooting fundamentals!

How often do you train to find your reset point with your trigger?

12 Likes

I haven’t yet, but I’m going to start doing that drill. At the range and when dry firing at home.

4 Likes

Good drill.
Not needed anymore… till the next firearm’s purchase. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I used to do it on my Ruger but it had a really long pull. My Glocks I haven’t really practiced, it lately, as the trigger pull on them is fairly short.

Once I start doing IDPA again I will have to work on it as my
FN-FNX Tactical has a long trigger pull.

4 Likes

It’s become normal routine, I found you can stay on target for a very long period of time and place controlled pairs more precisely. I also found that calling the shot will assist in precision.

4 Likes

Right now with the shortage of 9mm in my area it is hard to get any practicing in

6 Likes

This drill can be done at home WITHOUT ammo.

Just rack the slide, aim, sight picture - press the trigger. Keep it pressed, then rack the slide, aim again, sight picture.
Speak to yourself “reset, reset, reset” and find reset on the trigger. Then you can press it again to simulate the shot.

You will have the same result to be familiar with trigger reset.

Additionally you can use laser cartridge and laser target to find out if you’re jerking the trigger.

8 Likes

I shoot from the trigger reset at the range often and I practice dry fire drills at home in front of the mirror. Since I started practicing and shooting from the reset my shots are more accurate because it is easier to get back on target.

4 Likes

Most of the time when I’m using my Glock with my DryFireMag. It’s an awesome tool.

3 Likes

Its always good to know where your trigger will reset. I only really started doing this a few years ago and definitely see in increase in accuracy and speed at the range. And thanks to USCCA I have been practicing stovepipe malfunctions with the nifty 9mm snap caps they sent me.

2 Likes

We always keep trigger to wall, fire, back to the wall. Faster double taps. Our sigs have short reset triggers. We were trained to accomplish this task years ago. Short reset is not advisable for a beginner as the second shot fires unexpectedly. Dangerous.

2 Likes

I still teach and live by the reset trigger for most of my handguns. Anyone with the new 90 degree trigger on the Sig Sauer, just laughs at the reset, and rocks on!

3 Likes

@William401. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry, my reset occurs during recoil and I built the gun that way.

There was a time when I could shoot faster than a 1911 could cycle. Ever since that time I build my pistols to reset during recoil. Now when I shoot something other than MY 1911’s I am very conscious of the trigger and reset. If I am tuned up and running hot I will “go flat” on any of the new pistols on the market. I think the M-11 (Sig 226) and the M-9 (Beretta 92) are the only ones I don’t do that with only because of the 10’s of thousands of rounds fired with each, they are their own handle.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

Welcome William401

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it but will the next time I go to the range.

2 Likes

Just a reminder, if you are going to do this at home. please make sure you are doing it w/out ammo in your gun. check and check again. or use dummy rounds. safety first.
Train safe

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

I… 2nd that Please be safe and make sure there is NO LIVE AMMO in or round where you are training.

1 Like

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like