Supreme court decision

I found this interesting. If anybody has more in depth details, please share.

4 Likes

Does this mean we no longer need CCP? Or does it depend on each state? Also, does this mean we can carry on all 50 states?

3 Likes

I just noticed a similar posting in the bullet points forum. Didnt mean to double up posts.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Welcome, Joel!

The short answer to that question is “no”

Right now the move is to do nothing different than you did prior to this decision.

8 Likes

Not an expansion of rights; it is a RESTORATION of rights.

7 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Joel84 and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

From the article in the link above-

Justice Brett Kavanaugh, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, noted the limits of the decision. States can still require people to get a license to carry a gun, Kavanaugh wrote, and condition that license on “fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.”

Per that statement it will likely still be up to the States to decide if a license is needed and what you will need to do to get one. I doubt this ruling will directly led to National Reciprocity. It does open the door for it but I’m not holding my breath. But this ruling should at least make it so someone residing in another State cannot be denied a permit to carry in one of these restrictive States. Though I suspect many more years of court cases to affirm that right. If it is affirmed before the court sways back to the left then you will just have to jump through all the hoops and expenses each State sets up if you want to exorcise your right to self defense there.

4 Likes

I believe that NY may establish a similar format as IL. I have an IL CCL and I’m hoping that NY allows it for out of state Residents.

2 Likes

Unless I missed it, nothing from SCOTUS hints at reciprocity, and unless truly forced, I don’t see any possible way any of the may issue states will recognize non res

2 Likes

I agree that this is unlikely to affect reciprocity from the restrictive States. Unless those States continue to refuse to issue licenses to people who live out of State. That could force another ruling leading to some form of forced reciprocity.

This ruling should protect the rights of anyone seeking a license to carry in any State regardless of residency.

1 Like

Ammoland pointed out that abbreviated…this is BS (Bipartisan Safer) Communities Act.

2 Likes

This is not over in NY. The Dems will probably follow the ruling, but instead of jumping over a 2 story house to get the license, you will only have to jump over an SUV. Then, as with D.C., back to court.

1 Like