Supporting Law Enforcement

What I’ve noticed - smaller community → better understanding of 2nd Amendment.

11 Likes

All the LEO’s I know are pretty pro 2A, some extremely pro 2A. :grinning: I have found most lean more towards CHL vs Constitutional carry, not sure why.

Most are Sheriff deputies in a small town area.

6 Likes

“Sheriff’s Associations” are…

That’s different than trouble from street officers.

1 Like

I can understand why they might favor the additional regulation — same reason they’re not excited about exclusionary rules. They also know that bad guys carry guns.

The added vetting with the CHL might make it feel like a citizen with a gun is more likely a good guy (and if not, they have good ID, prints, address, etc). Also, a bad actor found in unauthorized possession is an easy, or additional, charge.

5 Likes

Sacramento County goes against the flow and I hope it stays that way with a pro-2A sheriff and crime-fighting DA. We have a battle in our hands in 2022.

5 Likes

Around here we shoot at the LEO shooting range. I have shot with all of them even the Feds, DEA, Ports Authority around here, they all knew that I had their back if needed. Even if it was nothing but ammo, I normally had 500 rounds or better back then in the car. Now, all of those people are gone, retired. Back then I took care of the range because no one else would. Spent my own money because I just about lived there if it was daylight.

4 Likes

Having been a LEO and knowing a great number in the area around Louisville KY, while our mayor and some local legislators are anti 2A, the majority of law enforcement are very 2A. The only reason some do not like Constitutional Carry as it takes a tool away for checking someone’s background. Granted there are some who think only cops should have guns but they are a minority here.

12 Likes

It has been my experience with LE that I know or have had contact with, that most actually prefer civilian carry/ 2A rights but agree that it should be with training. For me there was never a second thought about training, it was how I was raised. I wouldn’t support mandatory training because I feel like its a very slippery slope if you force training ect to own. That said it seems like irresponsible ownership to have a weapon and no almost nothing about it. If you buy a car and couldn’t drive, you would certainly learn before you jumped behind the wheel and went out into traffic. And from what I see in the news, there are plenty of irresponsible owners, as the incidents of ‘accidental’ shootings seem to continue to grow.

3 Likes

Not my experience at all. Past and present LEO friends are very supportive. My Wednesday morning breakfast bunch includes: past and present County Sheriffs, past and present Chiefs’ of Police, neighboring County past Sheriff, and a retired Judge. Not to mention a dear friend who was CPD before he retired and later passed away.

4 Likes

But the street officers remain silent therefore they are no better than the political opposition on police letterhead.

And studies have shown that CCWs are more law-abiding than the police…

1 Like

Retired LEO here.

I am a 2A supporter, and the people with whom I worked directly were also.

The issue seemed to be the (frequently) appointed chiefs of the department. They were usually picked by the governor, who very much wanted someone to parrot his opinions as “official” police thought.

A few years ago, the governor proposed a ban and registration of assault weapons.” I was not there, but the then superintendent and I had been in the same graduating class. I always thought him a good guy.

During the discussions about this proposed plan, the superintendent apparent advised the governor that he could not support the plan, and that if it was pushed to law, the governor would be responsible for the bloodshed to follow.

8 Likes

This is spot on. The current head of the ISP is a lawyer, not a LEO that was appointed after he lost an election. His is a puppet for JB Pritzker. Many of his subordinates do not share his point of view.

7 Likes

Maybe it has something to do with the “small town” lifestyle. Most small towns, are people raised on primarily agricultural communities. We shoot guns, we hunt, and we are taught to be self sufficient. Just my opinion.

10 Likes

Town Population 7700, County Population 36000. See the beauty in it!

7 Likes

My county sheriff was at the forefront of making our town and county a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary. Gun rights are respected to the fullest and gun ownership is high. As a result I feel extremely safe here.

6 Likes

That is not really fair to any LEOs. You have a first amendment right to say whatever you like. Government employees first amendment rights are much more limited than an ordinary citizen’s rights to freedom of expression. Police can be terminated for voicing messages that go against the message being professed by the bureaucrats. Here’s a prime example - Virginia police officer fired after donating to Kyle Rittenhouse defense fund

7 Likes

My town, Bellevue, NE, the command staff bought pizza and protested with blm terrorists… so much for limited free speech.

And the Lt, will get his job back with a whole lot of tax dollars.

Thanks @Elza1 for letting me know about the Lt. I am very happy that the Lt. got his job back and I will pray for him and his family.

1 Like

Not to mention that the information that the operator of the vehicle they just pulled over is a holder of a Concealed Carry Permit can be disclosed by the dispatcher during a records check prior to the officer approaching that vehicle. One thing about permit holders. They took the time and money to get them, have an intense desire to keep them and are less likely to intentionally break the law. While the officer must still be alert, he may take some incremental solace that the individual he is about to confront poses less of a threat to his/her safety.

6 Likes