Summer Carry Question

My solution is to wear pants and shorts with deep enough pockets to conceal a good—in my case a Bianchi 152— pocket holster.

4 Likes

Stick with polyester/spandex, it wicks and breathes much better than cotton. Can find them inexpensive on Amazon.

4 Likes

I don’t like cheese grater grips. There are plenty of patterns out there that give as good a grip and do not make you bleed. Any gun that come to me with those hyper-aggressive sharp grip patterns get replaced with a nice set of thinner, milder patterned grips. I have never noticed a difference in my shooting but I have certainly noticed a HUGE difference un my comfort while carrying. Besides those cheese grater grips are hell on my hands when I do one of my 300-500 round sessions. I don’t want to stop shooting because my hands have blisters. I mean I have, but that was for length of shooting session measured in days, not because of uncomfortable grips :smile:.

I wear an undershirt all year round. Even when I lived in South Florida, unless I was headed for the beach and all I had was a light T-shirt on I always had an undershirt under my dress shirt or collared knit shirts. Cotton or synthetic materials make no difference to me, both are comfortable and wick moisture away from you so they keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

4 Likes

Rather than wear a complete additional compression shirt under my shirt, I have considered wearing a belly band holster under my shirt - not to actually carry my gun in, but rather continue using current IWB, and let the belly band protect my skin from the grip. If you think the G10 grips are rough on your skin, try some rubber grips :-1:

5 Likes

This would work, but I sweat a lot. I would feel like I needed to clean it more frequently than I care to. The plus would be a few extra pockets though :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

@Scott52 I’m not sure what the name of it was it was the standard wear it under your cammies tee shirts, puke brown, light weight poly something. I know for a fact they perform under a cotton tee shirt and a cammie blouse and plate carrier in temps in excess of 110*F. You “feel” dry but when you take your cotton tee shirt off and throw it at a wall it goes “SPLAT” and slowly slides down. I took to getting a size too small as I used it as a “second skin” under a regular tee shirt due to a ban on wearing them in case you caught fire, they melt. Cutting the sleeves off is sometimes handy as they can bind if too small. Being in a leadership position I had to look the part but that didn’t mean I had to be stupid. I figured if the fire was that bad to get through everything else I was already screwed.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Alien Gear is good, and so are some others that have neoprene backing.

In summer, even when hot, I wear a T-shirt under another shirt, even if it is 100. It simply helps with removing moisture and providing a protective layer.

Some clothing is designed to ‘wick’ moisture and be cool as a base layer even in summer.

The other option is wear OWB holster and wear a covering button up short sleeve shirt, even if you do not button it up.

6 Likes

I always wear t-shirts. I always use OWB holsters. The holster I use is the Crossbreed Snap Slide with Sweat Guard and Combat Cut. The photo just shows the regular cut but the combat cut puts leather up the slide all the way to the back of the frame/slide so no part of metal touches your body. It’s soft brushed leather and very comfy. USCCA has discounts for Crossbreed on their vendor page.

6 Likes

Look at the N82 holsters. They are designed to protect your skin against the grips and are very comfortable. I was a 100% Alien Gear guy until I saw a N82 (Nate squared). I also use the cheap “wife beater” tank tee under my shirt. I am in Sacramento area and it is hot in the summers. Stay safe and best of luck.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Dale25 and thank you for the info. I’ve not heard of N82 before. I’ll check them out.

2 Likes

Nice holster I like it.

2 Likes

Scott, I never wear a weapon next to my skin. Too many problems (itching, sweating, etc). I wear an IWB holster, and in hot weather, I wear a plain (gray or white), light tee-shirt, tucked in. My over-garment is a light, very loose-fitting shirt - such as a simple button-down that might fit in a casual office setting - untucked. I leave the bottom button undone. Not perfection, but it certainly works well for me.

4 Likes

Try a Tropic Concealment vest, Very light weight and breathable.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard Ronald and God bless you.

2 Likes

Hey Brother, I use StealthGear holsters for my P226. They have some IWB holsters that are “breathable” and do not cause you to sweat as much with the holster against your skin. I will sometimes wear two t-shirts for greater comfort.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Ronald16 and @Michael348 and thank you for the help.

1 Like

A good leather holster with a sweat shield. I carry a commander in either a Milt sparks or a Muddy river. They both make inside the waistband holsters that work for me

6 Likes

Welcome to the family Craig and god bless you.

3 Likes

I live in Arizona and I carry a Springfield Hellcat in a Sneaky Pete with a EMT sticker on it. No one has ever questioned me.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother Michael and God bless you.

4 Likes