Struggling to get training

I live in northern Wyoming with Sheridan being the closest town to us.
So, I have what I am sure is a common small town problem but… Pistol classes aren’t that available in my area, and while I have heard of a woman’s club, I’ve never seen much about them doing anything or setting up a day/time. I’ve fired rifles and shotguns, but never a pistol.

What do you guys recommend? I tried to get into a pistol class, I even got on the email notification list. But even though I got to the sign ups an hour after they were put up, the class was already full. Covid certainly isn’t helping anything.

We have a pasture where we shoot sometimes, but I can’t easily get out there on my own. I have a bad leg and honestly, we all know that rattlesnakes are not uncommon out there (another reason I don’t want to go alone).

6 Likes

@Meagan1 What is your zip code. You have only 8 USCCA Trainers in your state.

1 Like
  1. I already checked the training tab. Nearest person to me is 2hrs away in Montana
2 Likes

Using the Training locator, it looks like Billings, MT was the closest it could find.There’s a class at Basics on August 29 with available seats.

Maybe someone local will respond and help you out.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Already looked there.
I can’t go up to Billings, sadly :frowning: Too much of a trip. I take care of my 91 year old grandmother.

2 Likes

Have you checked out Big Horn Trading? According to their website, both owners are NRA instructors. Maybe they can help find you a local class or instructor.

Big Horn Trading LLC
John and Kathy Lundberg
933 Werco AveSheridan WY 82801
(307) 675-1894
john@bighorntradingllc.com

2 Likes

Well, you are in a pickle when it comes to USCCA training then. You’d really have to travel. My wife says I’m a fixer but I can’t think of a solution that doesn’t involve you traveling.

Wait, I have an idea… Would you be able to get together a bunch of fellow students and have an instructor brought in? It would be more palatable if you offered to pony up a bit more cash but also pay for their gas, hotel and food. There maybe an instructor who would love a get away.

I know I’d do it if it were for a small group and only a couple of hours away.

2 Likes

They don’t really do any of that. I’m taking a CCP class through another sporting store here, but theirs is more theory and no fire.

2 Likes

I could see if I can find anyone else I know who is into guns! As of now I know… one person in my total friend group, haha. But, she lives in Billings. That’s another one of my struggles.
Is self training… I don’t know, viable? I can go to the gun range here and shoot, but I won’t exactly have a dedicated instructor.

2 Likes

Megan. There are many training vids here or on YouTube for free, and yes you can self train, any training is good. Watch the vids and get ideas for when you can shoot and dry-fire training at home. Get creative.
I taught myself rappelling many years ago with just a book and practice. :+1:

6 Likes

Just another thought about self-training. When I set out to learn rope work I started a log of what I needed to buy (gear) and what I did know and what I needed to learn, It helps a lot. :+1:

2 Likes

Try this… Look online at www.uspsa.org for a Practical Pistol club in your area. From your post, it’s just what you are looking for.
Also at www.sassnet.com for s (SASS) Single Action Shooting Society club. They will be more than happy to “learn ya”.
With either you’ll get to network with other women shooters as well.
Happy Trails!

4 Likes

Check out Kennedy Defensive Solutions, Travis is top tier. Here is the link. Hope this helps, train hard. https://www.kennedydefensivesolutions.com

1 Like

@Keith69 Welcome to the community. Thanks for posting. :+1:

The classes are being given by the USCCA you just may have to travel. If you go to your DASHBOARD on your USCCA portal, if you are a member, go to training and put in your zip code and it will give you the schedule of the closest classes in your area.

@Meagan1 ,
You might look into contacting the DC Project . The WY state rep is Ashlee Lundvall.
While they are primarily a political organization, they are also quite involved in training. Our Arkansas rep is actually making a living now giving classes on defensive training and CCW licenses.
If Ashlee doesn’t provide training services herself, she may know of someone who does. It might be worth investigating.

Let us know what you find!

3 Likes

A couple of ideas for you, @Meagan1 - check with your local police or sheriff’s department to see if they do a Citizens’ Academy. My local police department had one and that’s when I shot a handgun for the first time. (It was a while ago :wink: )

Also, the local place that sells out quickly, do they have a waiting list? Or get in contact with their instructor directly and see if they will do a private lesson. Most of the instructors I know also do private lessons as well.

4 Likes

I already asked about private lessons~ And I was on the waiting list, but it’s not so much a waiting list as it is: We’ll email you when slots are open, BETTER GET 'EM FAST. And I missed out. I’ll see about the police department though~

3 Likes

@Meagan1, if you won’t find anyone for live training - online videos and training plus dry fire practice are better than nothing.
These days, during Covid-19, a lot of Firearm Instructors teach over internet. You can also use USCCA videos to train your skills - these are available on USCCA Dashboard.
And I ensure you - these worked for me ! Maybe it doesn’t make you Master of Pistol… but at least you become Master of Dry Fire :wink:. But being proficient and efficient without live ammo gives you big benefit when you start range training.

3 Likes

One of my neighbors used to be the president of the Gillette chapter of the Well Armed Women but the girls got too “catty” and the organization turned too political (not meaning left or right, just politics within the org)

I think that chapter is no more or that would have been a option.

1 Like