Struggling to get training

Great Idea!
And if you have the time, you might consider joining your LE agency’s Volunteer Patrol Unit. One of the perks with many such groups is access to their range. And I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to find someone willing to give you a few pointers.
Plus if you ever had to shoot or hold someone at bay, it would be nice if all the responding cops knew going in you were one of them.

3 Likes

I agree with @Jerzees. If you can’t find any live training, there are an abundance of training videos on the interweb and YouTube. Not as good as the real thing, but it will definitely help, and you’ll be more prepared for the live classes when they become available. Don’t forget to leave the live ammo in a different room or in the safe while you train… don’t want any accidents!

4 Likes

Two words… SNAP CAPS :wink:

3 Likes

Greatest thing about USCCA, you asked for help and I know someone will be there to reach out to you in your needs. USCCA has many areas of training as well and the instructors are the BEST and will point you in the right directions. The best to you and if no one has said it to you, Stay Safe. Thank you!

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this will help you, but I’m in the same situation. I am a new gun owner and the closest training is a ways away. I found this guy on YouTube called Carry Trainer. I’ve been watching his videos about holding and site training. So when I go to the gun range, I put an ear bud under my head gear (hearing protection) and I follow his instructions. I have went from all over the place, to one foot groups at 45 feet. Some say that’s not great but for only doing this 4 times at the range, I say it’s working for me. And for the record I am shooting a S&W SD40VE and no lie it has some kick. Love the gun but do not recommend for new shooters.

Anyway I hope this helps.

5 Likes

I believe he travels places to train people he’s a good teacher. A bit intense but you can’t do stupidity in his classes. I have watched his YouTube videos. :+1::+1:

1 Like

I feel for ya. I’m in KY and though there are instructors listed seems like none of them are teaching. I’m only 30 miles from Lexington and Bud’s gun shop. When I look at their web page, not class dates are listed. I can guarantee 2 students, my brother and myself.

3 Likes

Meagan1

I used to live in Grand Teton National Park near Jackson Hole, Wyoming, so I have been in your neck of the woods. First off, It’s fantastic you’re seeking training.

Here are some excellent options.

Good Online training platforms.

Defensive Mindset Training.

This online training program is a year-long program that includes monthly dry fire and live fire training drills. You practice clearing handgun malfunctions, reloads, drawing from concealment, moving and shooting, static shooting, and deterrence. The instructor Is Beau, a former Army Ranger, and excellent firearms instructor. I have been a subscriber for about six months, and it has increased my skill level and confidence. He does an excellent job of teaching you the skills you need.

Utilizing this program will give you the skills to defend yourself and your family without leaving Wyoming. This is a monthly subscription program that is about the price of Netflix.

You can print out courses of fire and take them to your local gun range, and you do what the sheet says, and you will improve your skills.

If you don’t have a reliable internet connection, Buy the Concealed Carry Masters Course from them, a DVD program that comes with a workbook. This program was the result of a collaboration between Navy Seal Larry Yacht and former Army Ranger Beau.

Here is what is covered

• Shooting Fundamentals
  • The Draw
  • Deterrence
  • Reloads and Malfunctions
  • Dynamic Weapon Positions
  • Situational Awareness

Dry Fire Training

Ok, assuming you use the above program to get quality instruction on how to use a pistol. Purchase a laser cartridge for your handgun online and use it to develop your accuracy. The laser has two benefits; first, it makes it impossible for a real bullet to end up in the chamber so you can’t have an ND. The secant benefit is you can see exactly where your shot would have hit.

The best thing about dry fire with a laser is you can improve your speed and accuracy from the comfort of your own home safely.

Video Feedback.

After you practice the material taught in the Concealed Carry Masters course for a while, then you could record yourself shooting with your smartphone. I sent my video footage to former Delta Force Commando John Shrek Mcphee, the Sheriff of Baghdad, to evaluate. He will look at your stance, grip, and presentation and give you tips for getting better.

I have trained with “Shrek” in person, and he has a wealth of real-world experience and is an excellent teacher.

Once he offers his feedback on your performance, then you implement it and send him another video once you’re ready to take the next step.

Here is the link to his site.

Ammo

I shoot a minimum of 50-100 rounds once a month, and I use the courses of Fire from Defensive Mindset Training. I have followed this rule for four years now. So I purchased 1,000 rounds at a time.

In my opinion, 50-100 rounds once a month is the bare minimum needed to develop your shooting skills.

I hope this helps.

Jon

6 Likes

Yeah I have some of those for dry fire~ It took me a bit to get good at even just racking the slide reliably, and I got them because I knew if the cap flew out then clearly I had racked it correctly~

2 Likes

Thankfully our internet is great! (Phone service… it exists at least lol)
Yeah! I watch what youtube videos I can find on the subject. It would be nice if I could get real training, but admittedly I’m coming to terms with the fact that between the fact that I can’t easily get out of town and the fact that my town doesn’t have much… It’s going to be the school of do it till you figure it out.

2 Likes

I’m decent with longer guns~ Shotguns and rifles. This is just my first handgun. Part of me is hoping it won’t be all that different but it’s hard to know! I doubt my groupings will be great at first, but practice is all you can do! Good luck at it :smiley:

1 Like

Same situation for me, I grew up with long rifles. I have a Marlin model 60 that I can hit accurately 50 yards with a straight site. No scope, no enhanced site, just a normal site. I have a 10/22 Ruger with a scope, I can hit 50 yards accurately. I raise a handgun, look down the site, breathe out then fire. My first shot is always good, dead center of the target at 25 feet. The rest, well let’s just say I hope I don’t have to take more than one shot. :rofl: Otherwise I’m in trouble. I think the difference for me is, I don’t have the butt of the gun resting on my shoulder. With a rifle you have hand control, full arm control and shoulder control. Handgun You’re relying just on your hands. Lol I guess that’s why they call it a hand gun lmao.

2 Likes

Megan1, Hello.

My name William Smith. I started out green as a lime and I am very proud of you in your adventures in learning how to carry and conceal a firearm.

But you have a beautiful photograph of the Great USA that it is in your whole backyard. What a training ground. Supplies of ammo is very short and the cost is very high. Defensive Ammo is a pain and very hard to get, then rationed.

Good work and I know you will be your best.

I have the famous Glock 20 Gen 4 10 mm and a Springfield XDM 5.25 " 10 mm.

It gets a little easier as you grow. The 10 mm has good reports on large animals that are not friendly and attack. They pack a punch and they have a standard size. Not a pocket pistol. Thank you !

1 Like

Meagan1 - look up “The Well Armed Woman Wyoming” on FB and reach out to them. I think a Chapter lead in Cheyenne is Renee Kwawiec. Reach out to these different chapters regarding one closer to you. They have a tight knit community and contacts. They may have a chapter instructor near you or know of one that can travel. Since you are so close to Montana, I would reach out to their groups as well. @Meagan1

1 Like

I do see the Gillette chapter of the Wyoming Well Armed Woman has re-started !

1 Like

Megan, one of my colleagues will be happy to come to you and anyone else in Sheridan. His name is Shane Clevenger, of Able Tactical in Guernsey, WY. His number is 843-575-1911. Good luck.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community, from Michigan

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

I you can’t make the tip to Billings, I’d inquire about the training officer for your local LE agency. Maybe they could point you in a safe direction. Another source might be your State’s NRA affiliate

Wyoming State Shooting Association, Inc.
Box 942
Worland, WY 82401
Phone: 307-335-9323

2 Likes