So, You Check Into Your Hotel, and it Is NOT Gun Friendly?

AZ is INCREDIBLY gun friendly. I love living here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Kinda like Bill Clinton, depends on what ā€œunauthorized isā€.

10 Likes

I ran into something similar with a Whole Foods store in Montgomery. It says no guns allowed in the store with signage at the front. Iā€™ve never taken my gun off because of it the few times I was there (after Amazon took the store over because it wasnā€™t like that before). I even looked online for laws regarding such things in Alabama and Iā€™ve read the weapons law PDF like 6 times and never saw anything like that.

3 Likes

The laws about this vary widely from state to state, so be sure to check your state laws and act accordingly.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an awesomely accurate way to word that. (For my state) But, they can kick you out for it, and if you dont leave at that point, itā€™s tresspassing.

4 Likes

Except when housekeeping doesnā€™t abide by your wishes. I came back to my room after a day at a client site to find housekeeping in the room after I had requested no service. I called the front desk immediately, but housekeeping had still violated my request.

5 Likes

As far as the loophole, maybe this is it?!
carry a firearm openly under local, state, or federal law, are not exempt from this policy
It says ā€œcarry a firearm OPENLYā€, and does not specifically say concealed carry.
Just a thought when reading through it. If they did happen to call the police instead of trying to work with a person, you could argue that it says open carry, not concealed and, depending on the officer(s), you may be able to walk away no problem.

4 Likes

I donā€™t actually leave it out. If I canā€™t take it with me, it is locked in a case I travel with and itā€™s locked in a suit case.

5 Likes

But, that is the issue. There are not ANY no guns allowed or no CCL posted on any of the 3 doors I saw, including the only door you can enter without a keycard, the one the office is located in. I think there is one other side door, butā€¦

I certainly will be calling any place I intend on staying at in the future, to avoid this issue in the future.

3 Likes

@Henry4 what state are you in? Weā€™ll look it up.

In Missouri the signs do not have the force of law, but if asked to leave, and you refuse, they can call the cops and cite you for trespassing (not a firearms crime).

7 Likes

Heres what the USCCA site says on Arkansas:

No Weapons Allowed" Signs Enforced?

Are ā€œNo Weapons Allowedā€ signs enforced in Arkansas? If yes, violating the sign would be considered to be a crime. If no, violating the sign would not be considered a criminal offense.

Yes. No license to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to this subchapter authorizes any person to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following locations.

• Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than 10 feet that ā€œcarrying a handgun is prohibited.ā€
    • If the place does not have a roadway entrance, there shall be a written notice placed anywhere upon the premises. There shall be at least 1 written notice posted within every 3 acres of a place with no roadway entrance.
  • A written notice is not required for a private home.
  • Any licensee entering a private home shall notify the occupant that the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun.

[Ark. Code Ā§ 5-73-306(18)]

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ar-gun-laws/

2 Likes

If you think about it - since legally they donā€™t have a leg to stand on if they donā€™t have it very clearly displayed at entrances, during registration on the website, etc., what they are saying effectively is ā€œif you have a weapon, we donā€™t want to see it here.ā€ So donā€™t let them. When I carry, I want no-one to know I am carrying. I have no desire to pop my weapon off casually when I sit in a lobby or restaurant, even when Iā€™m in very gun friendly locations. Other than my immediate family travelling with me, the only time someone should EVER become aware that Iā€™m armed is if they threaten my life or the life of my family members, in which case, offending the hotel is no longer a concern. To me, concealed means concealed. If you donā€™t like the hotelā€™s policy, then use a different hotel next time. But if I was in a hotel and I saw that notice, it would mean nothing of consequence to me because they are never going to know what Iā€™m packing, or how many! :slight_smile: Even if they have a big sign at the check-in counter, unless they try to physically search me, or have metal detectors, they will never know.

9 Likes

If you donā€™t like their rules donā€™t play their game.

5 Likes

You sure have to dig to find itā€¦but thanks, canā€™t say as would stay there.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @Paul34! LOVE your profile picture!

3 Likes

Thanks, Atlas Shrugged. (who is John Galt?) very apt for todayā€™s times

6 Likes

Most definitely! We have an Atlas statue in our headquarters and Atlas Shrugged is in our headquarters library for anyone who wants to read it. Amazingly painful book - because it is so close to reality!

6 Likes

It says in the footnotes that LEO and military personnel who are on duty or otherwise required to carry a firearm are allowed to and it seems that these are the only ones that are authorized.
Thatā€™s my takeaway from reading the rules on the website.

4 Likes

I think the operative word here is ā€œunauthorizedā€?

3 Likes

As far as Iā€™ve heard, every hotel in Las Vegas now disallows guns and has metal detectors, so when I finally am able to get down to Frontsight, Iā€™ll have to actually stay in Pahrump. They need to hurry up and get their own hotel built. Grr. Or something.

Walmart in my home town went anti gun, so I stopped going there. As soon as New Mexicoā€™s laws changed to actually enforce no gun signs, they switched their sign from saying concealed weapons were allowed to saying that no guns were allowed. Same sign, they just whited out the top line.

Apparently, I was not the only customer who stopped going, because a couple of months later, they switched back to a sign that said concealed weapons were allowed. No idea if there are enough of us to have an effect on hotels or not, but even Target backed down from some of their wokeness when it hurt their pocketbook.

5 Likes