So, You Check Into Your Hotel, and it Is NOT Gun Friendly?

Did not think this fit in legal/political, so put it here.

So, you make a reservation, go inside the hotel (no anti gun signage at all), check in and go to your room. So, maybe you are looking for the wifi password, and just happen to stumble across this in the

“Guest Responsibilities Guests will be immediately ejected from the hotel for the following actions:”

“Possessing an unauthorized weapon or firearm including any concealed or open carry weapons regardless of license1”

New one on me!

Just to see, I tried looking at a few hotel websites, and did not see any other anti gun stuff. Moral of the story, might be a good idea to call before making a reservation to see if they have such a policy.

Could be pretty awkward if you had checked in with a pizza, took your gun off and were having a couple of adult beverages while eating and watching TV, if you were asked to leave the property. Might be unwise to drive to another hotel.

Just a friendly heads up.

15 Likes

Do they have that on their website? How would you know if it’s not even posted?

In Missouri it likely would not be enforceable unless they had signage on all entrances… state laws probably apply.

What chain was this? I’d like to make sure I take my money where my rights are appreciated.

19 Likes

Is this real or a hypothetical?

3 Likes

It is on their website. Honestly, I never look at Hotel rules, as I am not a party person or doing anything I consider unusual. The part I don’t like is not simply posting it on the entrances.

@Zee, I suspect it would be enforceable, as any place can ask you to leave if they don’t like you carrying, as far as the money paid for the room, no clue how that would work. Also, I don’t have a copy of what I singed when I signed in, but I suspect it had some standard "I agree to follow the guest rules… " (usually check in/out times, if pets allowed, no smoking, standard stuff.) Have never seen it done without posting signs…

If you go here: https://www.woodspring.com/extended-stay-hotels/locations/alabama/montgomery/woodspring-suites-montgomery?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=WS-US-US-EN-BRD&utm_term=woodspring%20suites&utm_content=WS%20-%20Generic&gclid=CMHMpaCEp-YCFaySxQIdYXIMXg&gclsrc=ds

Scroll down to: Guest Rules and Policies

This is in a different state, same company, so it is not just one location doing this.

2 Likes

Real. :angry:

2 Likes

I guess the lesson of the day is to read the hotel rules.

8 Likes

So who authorizes and how is that authorization communicated? Could it be something as simple as informing the desk clerk that your a CCW holder or Open carrying per State laws and get their ok?

Do LEO (on duty and those traveling off-duty) have to get authorization every time they step on their property? Is there a sign that says “all LEO authorized to carry” or have they already pre-communicated to local LEO (I doubting it), so again how is this authorization obtained and subsequently communicated?

I might “assume” I’m authorized until told differently otherwise how would you know?

4 Likes

You may want to ask them to clarify what is an “Unauthorised firearm”? It is their property and their rules but if they are difficult to work with stay somewhere else. I stayed at a hotel in Iowa once that made me sign a paper stating that I agreed not to butcher deer in the bathroom of my hotel room… after hearing the story I really couldn’t blame them for making it part of the check in process.

8 Likes

Yep, read the details, or call and ask them outright.

@JamesR there are no signs anywhere on the property mentioning guns.

4 Likes

I would assume if they call the police, guns are ok, or they call the cops, then ask them to leave…

Oh, and this includes off duty police staying there:

1 Exempted from this policy are law enforcement officers and designated military personnel who are on duty and required to carry firearms in the performance of their duties. Civilians, even those who are licensed and permitted to carry a firearm openly under local, state, or federal law, are not exempt from this policy

I started this thread mainly as a WTF? Kinda thing, but also as a warning if you are planning a trip, might have one more hoop to jump through to be legal when travelling.

4 Likes

Wow…thanks for the heads up, I’ll make sure I stay away from that chain (assuming it applies at all Extended Stay properties).

4 Likes

My guess is that when you reserve or register online, and when you sign in at the hotel, you check a box or sign an agreement saying you agree to all of the terms and conditions and rules when you stay there.
How many people actually read the terms, conditions and rules?

7 Likes

Mr Mike. As an Attorney can you tell me if this is legal in Florida with our laws.

2 Likes

Honestly, I cannot. But, generally, any private property owner has the right to say who can or cannot be on their property with a few exceptions, primarily relating to discriminating against a protected class. And, since that policy appears to exclude all weapons except LE and Military in performance of their duties, it would probably stand up in court. I do not know if Florida has something that would change or supersede that general premise.

2 Likes

Better lesson may be to avoid them… the anti-gun rules, and the bedbugs

5 Likes

My son travels for work and uses extended stay hotels a lot. He stayed at an Extended Stay American in AZ and there wasn’t a word about firearms anywhere in their services and policies or their Terms and Conditions.

I’ll let him know about the Woodspring’s rules - on general principle!

10 Likes

Concealed means CONCEALED. If they become aware you are armed you failed. I’ve stayed at many hotels and Resorts that had anti gun policies. It’s not an issue until it becomes an issue.

12 Likes

I never let housekeeping clean my room during my stay. That would be the only way they would know.

5 Likes

I have the same policy. If I’m leaving the room unarmed my piece is in a locked suitcase.

3 Likes

It appears that the Holiday Inn for the USCCA Convention does not allow open carry, I have not found a ban on concealed carry.

2 Likes