Smith & Wesson M&P Officer Folding Knife | USCCA

Back in June, I attended a writers’ conference at American Outdoor Brands, providing me with a wide range of new gear to review. One such product is the Smith & Wesson M&P Officer (Thin Blue Line) folding knife. I have used an inexpensive S&W M&P-branded folding rescue knife on duty for at least 10 years because of the carbide window breaker tip. I was happy to find an updated version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/smith-wesson-mp-officer-folding-knife/
1 Like

Another likely marginal tool made in China with soft Chinese steel, kind of like the one I got as a uscca signing gift last year, which is next to impossible to open one handed due to its poor shell design. Good for the desk drawer, or a tool box, but not for EDC.

2 Likes

Actually I have bought many S&W knives. Yes, they where made in the aforementioned “China” but they were not actually bad at all. The action was smooth, they locked well. The cost was right at the time. I really like Benchmade, but when the cost of a knife approaches the cost of a handgun, I start to worry about loosing it. The only thing I did not like was after several sharpenings the blade would not hold its edge long, this was after a year of carrying. But at sub $20 pricing putting one in every car for emergencies it did it’s job and is ready and handy.

Sounds bad to me. I will not buy Chinese anything, if I can help it, and I definitely do not buy Chinese knives, I willingly will pay more for USA made - support USA companies whose products are USA-made as much as I am able.

1 Like

I’m all about not spending frivolously. That said, I bought a Benchmade tanto point folder back in 1995, and it’s still awesome.

I have several others that have kicked around in my tool boxes and desk drawers as wire strippers and letter openers, which are fine for that purpose, but they were free, so the price was right…

2 Likes

By the way, I do agree American knives are much better quality, superior steel.

1 Like