Situational Awareness - Flaw

Walking around in a local Mall here in SLC today I was doing my regular “He’s no threat ‘0’”, " he looks a bit shady ‘4’", “Oh Man he’s a problem ‘7’”, “4 Gang Bangers ‘9’”… Then it occurred to me, I was only ranking men, not even paying attention to the women. In this mall gangbangers and homeless folks are for real. Male or Female they could have dastardly plans or could be high or hard up for drugs. I had to remember my training, distance, sweep the crowd close to far. Pick the interesting actors, male - female- young - old, decide and go on to the next one. Just seems odd to me that today I would give half of humanity a free pass in the eyes of “Situational Awareness”.

13 Likes

@Mike164 >> what do you think >>#1)- your getting ready to get in your rig -
WOWMAN walking toward you holding a road map asking can you help me with directions ( while she is holding a 1911 in the map ) - Gotcha -
#2) getting in your rig - woman walking toward you
saying I think my car was stolen- )-while holding iron in her hand bag- Gotcha -
Wasn’t that shooting in Walmart a while back done by a WOWMAN shooting someone in the back while everyone’s attention was on her male partner. I think most men would want to help a woman in distress,
What would you have done ? What will you do ?
I know what you might do if that person was a man
With a hoodie.

8 Likes

Yes, it is important to look at everyone. When I arrived in London, many years ago, we took the train in from Heathrow. All sorts of people were getting on and off the train. It was crowded and I found a spot at the back of the train car. My wife and daughter were standing mid-car, near the exits of the car. At one stop an older woman got on at the front of the car. She meandered through the crowd as the stops progressed. Eventually she positioned herself behind my wife. At that point I stared directly at her, and she saw me watching her. At the next stop she turned and exited the train. My wife was wearing a long rain coat and had her pocketbook underneath her coat, so pickpocketing was not an issue.

7 Likes

Also think about age. Don’t rule someone out because they’re old or young. In DC, news is reporting higher numbers of carjackings this year and a large number are being done by teenagers. A couple of months back, an uber driver in DC was killed by 2 female carjackers, with the oldest one being 16. Going back a few years, a college freshman in NYC was stabbed and killed by 3 teenagers youngest being 13. Keep that in mind and vary the bad actors when you work out potential scenarios.

9 Likes

So true. Women and even sometimes children(coached by a criminal) can lure potential victims into dire situations. I look at everyone but not in a paranoid way but watching actions, eye contact and body movement. We live in a very different society today. Many stories in msm and right wing news have shown in increase in women led crime.

7 Likes

You would be surprised what you can pick up just by scanning the area you are in. Do not be fooled by a persons age or gender because if they have bad intentions any opportunity you give them can be fatal. Think about how we have lost men and women of the armed forces by suicide bombings committed by women and young children. As stated above when walking in malls and heavily populated areas just remember that anyone can be a potential threat.

7 Likes

I guess I am aware at all times when I step outside my door is because as I informed my wife and children’s, I never liked being in or around a crowd of peoples. I takes some time for me to be comfortable with others in person, I have to watch and observe family members when I first met them. Just the way I am I guess.

6 Likes

I’m a Vietnam vet and there i used situational awareness for all people young, old, male’s, female’s because death could come from a kid with a shoeshine box or a young girl with a bag what looked like vegetables but a sapper bomb in both, all they would do is pull a lanyard and walk away then in about a minute it’s detonate taking out lots of people. This could happen in towns or out in the field, in one fire fight I witnessed a mother tell hers young son to go over to a wounded soldier and take his rifle and shoot the wounded soldier with it and bring it back to her. Well I must of not been the only one to see this because the mom and son did not make it out of the firefight, so you see situational awareness has been around along time and can be used everywhere at anytime but you have to apply it to everyone regardless of their age or gender.

7 Likes

Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don’t (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.).

4 Likes

Rules 21 and 18?:wink:

6 Likes

When addictive drugs are a factor, nobody gets a pass. Desperation is real and once that doc cuts off that scrip and a person is running low on funds both men and women turn into monsters. On another note, people still go to malls!? Most malls around here are ripe for the picking. Turn into doctors offices or apartments.

5 Likes

We have a couple of pretty big ones here in Salt Lake City, City Creek is owned by the Mormon Church. Fashion Place is an older mall but still packs em in. The Valley Fair Mall is a dangerous place…

5 Likes

and rule # 22

5 Likes

Rule number one. <<<<image

3 Likes

Never! Ever! Forget rule number one!

3 Likes

What is rule number one again? Shot first and figure things out later. Lol

1 Like

You need to figure out your one thing and stick to it.

2 Likes