Situational Awareness and avoidance with friends

How is it a provocation exactly? You’re telling somebody to get away from you.

Just cause I’m out drinking and practicing situational awareness does not mean I am armed. It was locked up.

The best thing to do in this situation was to drive away, which is what my friend should of done, when the 2 men ask if it’s okay to lean up on the car you tell them straight up, No get back, or stay back.

It’s what the USCCA teaches.

9 Likes

Force voice commands are an integral part of self-defense, I don’t know why anyone would think not. I had a guy reach for my holstered pistol once. I went into defensive draw and yelled GET BACK OR I WILL SHOOT. He did. If you go to Thunder Ranch you’ll learn to clear a house and Clint will fail you if you don’t use force voice commands. In a self-defense scenario if you’re not reasonably attempting to warn the attacker/intruder, even as you’re drawing on them, it will work against you legally. Not a fiat statement obviously as specific scenarios are going to vary. In some states, I’m pretty sure you have to verbally warn someone (although I haven’t looked into that detail lately but one should look into it. I believe states with less than full castle-doctrine clauses tend to have a verbal warning language in their statutes. Worth looking into.)

5 Likes

I totally agree, gut instinct is the 6th sense of any warrior. It’s taught in many combat skills courses. I think the distinction I’d make though is since this thread is about SA with friends, similar communication techniques and agreed-on terms/vocal cues are necessary if you’re in a group, much like an infantry squad. If you’re on your own, yes you don’t have to articulate your threat assessment to others, but you still need to acknowledge it to yourself. To train to do that, you need even an internal language so you can cut through the noise that usually would drown out the ‘spidey sense.’ Even later, let’s say the worst case scenario unfolds, you are going to need to articulate what your thought process was to others. I’ve heard people claim ‘spidey sense’ as a sole justification for a defensive action (I know that’s not what you’re claiming, but this is an extreme example) and they’re put in handcuffs while the officers shook their heads and laughed to themselves.

5 Likes

On the street I totally disagree with that, nor would I clear a house.

I’m not a LEO nor would I pretend to be.

If you want to fine, but make sure you have backups en route.

If you have an intruder and open your mouth, you will give up your location and may attract lead.

You never warn a intruder, you identify the target hold your position and only shoot if needed.

You seem to want to play LEO, that will either get you and maybe some of yours killed or land your butt in prison for a long time.

1 Like

By the way under FL statutes using the term GET BACK OR I WILL SHOOT, can get you arrested.

That’s a threat to use lethal force and combined with lacking the knowledge of who you are speaking to, just might get you shot or at the least get held at gunpoint until more units arrive.

1 Like

I don’t know what scenario you’re thinking of, but what you’re saying is patently absurd. I would seek some training.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t clear your own house, or at least be competent to? You’re not giving yourself away if you’re looking at your attacker and he’s looking at you. I guess I don’t understand what scenario you are working with. Not declaring your intentions is not a good practice. This is not some stealth scene in a spy movie.

1 Like

It’s not an unlawful threat if you’re responding to an unlawful threat. I’d never walk up to someone and say I’m going to shoot them?! We’re talking about responding to a threat here, that’s the context.

1 Like

Hell no, I don’t have backups and there is a good chance I will not have the time to put on body armor.

I will stay back behind cover and wait for backups.

i don’t cop.

It’s not an unlawful threat if you’re responding to an unlawful threat. I’d never walk up to someone and say I’m going to shoot them?! We’re talking about responding to a threat here, that’s the context.

It most certainly is.

You need to learn some laws before you land your butt in jail.

If a couple of what you think are scummy people walk up to you at a gas station and you overreact before they identify as LEO’s and you have threatend to shoot them, your going to jail.

I wouldn’t react to anyone unless they threatened me. Where is your head at man? You’ve twisted this around. There’s no fixing stupid. You should know self-defense laws as well or better than the police, and be at least as trained. That’s a totally reasonable expectation if you’re going to carry. Most people I know do.

1 Like

To head off some of this current discussion, I think this is part of why “GET BACK” or “LEAVE ME ALONE” or “GET AWAY FROM ME” is the preferred verbiage as opposed talking about shooting somebody

8 Likes

My best friend is like this. He’s 65 years old, a patriot, has a concealed carry permit, always sits with his back to the wall and facing the entrance of any establishment he goes into but can sometimes be the most clueless person in the world. He went with me down to the Dominican Republic a few years ago to look at a potential real estate investment opportunity and he had “tourist” written all over him the whole time were there. I’ve traveled all over the world and have been in some very dangerous places so my antennae is always up and my head is on a swivel when I’m out and about but he was oblivious to everything going on around him, even when we were in some pretty sketchy areas.

Anytime we were walking around while we were there, he had his head constantly looking down at his phone and was totally oblivious to what was going on around him. Not only does this make you a target to predators but as the sidewalks there are horrible and all broken up, he tripped a couple of times because he was staring at his phone and had I not caught him he would have done a face plant onto the concrete and probably broken something. Several times I saw some shady characters staring at him as a potential target and made sure they knew that I saw them even if he did not.

Not only did he put us both at risk, it was actually embarrassing how obnoxiously much like a tourist he acted. I told my wife when I got home that I was never going to travel with him again. I would suggest that you not waste too much energy trying to clue your friend in to the importance of situational awareness. If he doesn’t get it by now, he probably never will. Maybe just make it a point to only hang out at each other’s house or something but not go anywhere that could have a potential for violent encounters (which is pretty much anywhere out in public).

9 Likes

Alcohol and guns are bad together.Bars are a no no for me.I purposely avoid crowds that are drinking.Two guys asked to lean on your car?Nono number two.Nope im leaving get off my car.Only thing better is if they asked for cash…lol.Avoid idiots avoid trouble.

4 Likes

You’re friend lacks the good judgement and decision making skills. He doesn’t seem capable of " seeing the consequences of his decisions" He sounds like an impulse thinker and that is a dangerous individual to be around, especially if they’re armed or they’re making you a target.

5 Likes

This isn’t exactly the same, but there’s an application to be made:

7 Likes

I think this guy is an accident or worse a disaster waitting to happen. He obviously can not pick up on hints. I’d be very cautious around him.
Another thought: Maybe he is using you as sort of a security blanket. Maybe he thinks that your so attuned to your situational awareness that he is counting on you to get him out of a jam that he may get into.

4 Likes

Situational awareness is far more important than being CCW. Together is even better,

In this scenario “Situational Awareness” starts with NOT going to bars with this individual. It is not complicated.

7 Likes

The vast majority of people are good natured and non-suspicious of others. Most have never been placed into a situation where they anticipant a confrontation with others. Situation awareness is tactic that can be easily learned given the ration for needing it. If they do not perceive a need, then they will not learn it until confronted with such a situation.
Being in emergency services, the military or travel extensively overseas you learn very quickly about watching your SIX. It is critical thinking about going to the store, driving, the movies etc. and having a fore though of how I get out of a situation as it unfolds. It is planning too. Should I go to the protest and exercise my right to dissent. It should be incorporated into daily routines. Like drive a vehicle you always be looking ahead of the road to see whats happening as well looking behind you to whats back there. Driver training years ago instructed you to drive defensively. You don’t drive fast on rainy days ( Yes I know those types of people too)

When it comes to carrying firearms and confrontation - AVOIDANCE is the first option. All others after that. Needless to say, helping a friend become more aware of their surroundings, has to be willing to learn. It is unfortunate, but there are bad people out there who are willing to do you harm or take advantage. I see so many individuals walking in a parking lot, on the side walk playing with their cell phone and have lost complete the things happening around them. These are prime targets.

8 Likes

Personally, this friend might be “fun” to hang out with, but would definitely limit my time or exposure around them. We ultimately become the environment we surround ourselves with. If you’re carrying, I would suggest staying out of bars to begin with. IMO. This type of person I also wouldn’t trust as a DD, especially a DD with a permit to carry.

He could definitely benefit from taking a class or personalized one-on-one training. As a USAF Vet, (B-1B and C-130 Crew Chief) situational awareness was engrained into us. With so many safety variables, we had to be continually aware of our surroundings.

3 Likes