Situational Awareness and avoidance with friends

He says not to look away from the person asking you questions. However, you should keep your attention up and around, as often there are more than one and the one asking you a question is just a distraction so you don’t see his friends coming up to surround you.

3 Likes

There are some people who just don’t get it. Your friend is going to wind up getting himself and, probably, you into really a bad situation one day. You might want to part company or start to limit your interactions with this person to daylight hours, better locations and without alcohol involved.

5 Likes

Well I have a DVD and a guide I bought from the USCCA that I’m planning on showing him and making him watch the video, and after watching the video going over the guide.

4 Likes

Thanks MrBagworm.

Great find, makes sense. Until policy forces change or real reform occurs, it makes sense to stay calm, as one can always make official complaints later if needed, using proper channels.

I thought I learned to be careful growing up, but still - I learned lessons. Interesting in the Mr. Rock proved to us all, “calmer heads prevail”, when he was accosted in real life this recent Spring 2020 on live TV broadcast. You go Mr. Rock!

Still, I know someone who blasts that music, windows rolled down; despite I like the tunes, I don’t like attention. Plus, what if the driver accidentally misses a stop sign, with the tunes blasting, why on earth would an officer friendly ever give us a warning, as opposed to a ticket?

Why am I so cool with the cops? Cause I may need them one day. Small price to pay so I can be able to go to work the next day and not have to use my phone call to my boss … “from jail”.

4 Likes

You’re a good friend and definitely a great start. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

My philosophy is I hang out with you and you make me go through your dumb ■■■■. Oh I’m making you go through mine.

3 Likes

Well, I am sure your friend will appreciate your concern. Situational awareness may seem like a simple task, but there are so many things one can consider and/or encounter. Stay well and safe. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

@Kenneth94 My gut is always right. I go wrong when I don’t listen to it. I’ve learned to trust my instincts even if it means disappointing someone. Or leaving some place that doesn’t feel ‘right’ to me.

10 Likes

Argh! Even editors can’t spell these days…

3 Likes

I was 2/3 the way through before I realized that was comedy. It was so perfect I thought it was legit… :wink:

3 Likes

I agree that people should pay attention to what is going on around them, its just good common sense. That said, the whole concept of situational awareness can easily morph into quite the dramatic and overintellectualized endeavor. realistically speaking, a persons “situation” is often substantially more involved and encompassing than what one lone individual is likely to be able to perceive unaided.

1 Like

I will give an update in another situation we had in July 2023, we go to a Cleveland’s baseball game.

After the game, he’s looking for a place to eat, I look around and notice a homeless man with a backpack on, he asks us how we’re doing, and my friend immediately tells him, “I’m looking to see if this place is open.” (Smacking my face because he just told this man he’s about to spend money.)

Homeless man says it’s open, and gives us a story about how he’s not on drugs or anything and he needs money for a bus pass, and is now asking us for money.

I decline because I never said I was spending money, and my friend declined and says he doesn’t have money.

Homeless man tries sweet talking us, we still decline. Then the man, drops his bag and says alright, and starts digging through his bag, I told my friend. “Stan, let’s go!” and I make myself across the street.

Where is he? Standing there watching what he’s doing trying to be his friend, after he got done with his interaction I told him it’s time to leave this area, whole time he’s standing in line for a pizza. I’m just like dude you about got shot right there, and I didn’t have my gun or my medical supplies.

But he doesn’t care he just wants his food, we hardly hang out anymore due to working so many hours. But you have to be more alert, and listen to what I say.

2 Likes