Shoulder rig for edc in the winter?

What are your thoughts about using a shoulder rig for edc in the winter under heavy layers of clothing? Any brand(s) you recommend?

4 Likes

Pass

Limits ability to conceal and can make people wonder why you won’t take your jacket off, generally difficult to draw (training or real) without sweeping places/people you shouldn’t, inconsistent if it’s a manner in which you ‘sometimes’ carry (I’m a big fan of KISS and consistency, same type/manual of arms gun in the same place always)

6 Likes

Never tried a shoulder rig, they look bulky and confining. That’s my uneducated opinion.

5 Likes

Shoulder rig looks great
 on TV :wink:
It doesn’t work for me as I would expected. I would have to compromise safety in order to have effective draw stroke.

There were few Community members who posted good words about shoulder rig on old threads.

7 Likes

Unless you’re a funeral director who never takes off his coat, It could be practical if it works under a outdoorsy type vest. I’ve seen a full size 1911 concealed effectively that way but I don’t recollect the holster maker. outside of that I think usefulness would be very limited.

5 Likes

With limited experimentation, I could not make shoulder holsters carry and conceal to my satisfaction. I still see it as a viable carry for a hunting handgun, when it might become more of a chest carry. No current experience or suggestions.

For heavy winter EDC, I like the heaviest coat to have a zip closure opening from the bottom with a velcro or snap wind baffle. Then I can stage the closure a bit on my perceived exposure without looking like I’m wandering through the Arctic with my coat open. Whatever is under (vest, rugby shirt, sweater) needs to be loose enough to both cover and clear with the coat on, but not require the coat to be worn or stay zipped up indoors. All that continues to work fine for me IWB at 2 o’clock — with no dress code constraints to deal with, anything from roustabout to business casual to rural weddings and funerals is pretty easy.

4 Likes

You would be better off in investing in a concealed carry winter coat. Get one with either a built-in holster or one that lets you draw from your carry holster without opening tour coat. IMO.

6 Likes

Used one for a while. Carried a Ruger P89 that way back in the day. Was in an amusement park pushing kids in a wagon going up hill. Was bent over and running. Gun fell out. It was winter. Was wearing bulky carhart coat. Dark out. No one saw except family. Don’t carry that way anymore.

5 Likes

Not a fan of the shoulder rig. IWB or appendix for EDC regardless of season.

4 Likes

Tell you what. I have a floppy leather rig. It doesn’t work for me. It pulls and you always know it’s there. What are you planning on carrying?

2 Likes

You tell me what full size similar or is 1911 like, allot will fit. You may have a Christmas present on the way.

2 Likes

One thing that troubles me is the vertical vs horizontal carry.
I can see the advantage of horizontal for speed, but the muzzle is always pointed at whomever is standing behind you :scream:

Abe Vigoda, rest his soul

2 Likes

I have a nice one from alien gear. I use it while I’m driving and like it most for its versatility. I can change out the shells for any gun. It’s tuff to drive for long periods of time with a hip rig and the appendix rig is harder to get to in a pinch. Other then driving it’s more of an open carry. It’s a “safer” way to open carry then normal hip rig. Less accessible for others to grab. Definitely wouldn’t recommend a shoulder rig for concealed carry out side of your vehicle.

4 Likes

I use a Galco and Alien Gear rig for the winter months.

2 Likes

What are you trying to say?

2 Likes

Was a simple offer of a giveaway shoulder rig that would have been suitable for a similarly sized pistol. As this one in not for me. Not comfortable for me and was willing to send to try one out before an investment that some of us have regretted.

Simple offer is all it was.

3 Likes

I use an Alien Gear shoulder rig. I really like it. It’s all broke in. I wear it under a fleece vest. I carry a Glock 48 and have another shell for a Smith & Wesson SW1911PC.
Other than that I use an IWB from Concealment Express. Did I name drop enough? :smiley:

3 Likes

2 Likes

I have one like that only in Black from the NRA store. My favorite one is a Military issue .45 shoulder holster I found at a Flea Market :us:

3 Likes

“Sonny” Crockett wasn’t aware of 4 safety rules that time :wink:

2 Likes