Should you shoot? Riot edition

There has already been some discussion on the riots in U.S. cities. I thought it would be interesting to get your opinions in one place.

There are some relatively obvious left and right limits. You’re not justified in shooting at peaceful protesters who are marching down your street. You’re usually justified in shooting at someone who is shooting at you. And you’re probably justified in defending your home from a potential arsonist, depending on the scenario and state laws.

But then there are more ambiguous scenarios, and there’s the question of whether it’s wise to take on a rioting mob even if you might be legally justified.

What thoughts and bits of wisdom do you have on defense during a riot?

2 Likes

Step one if you’re aware of riots avoid the area. If you find yourself in a flash mob/riot find a way out as quickly as possible. DO NOT ANTAGONIZE THEM. As a last resort using the vehicle or other means of deadly force get off the “X” and immediately go to a police station.

I’m sure there are people who can articulate this better than me.

6 Likes

I get your point and it’s a good one. If a wildfire threatens your home, you don’t stand there with a garden hose to defend your property. If you have the option, you evacuate.

Riots are one of the most dangerous things I can imagine. Most of us here are probably set to “defend” by default, but that doesn’t always mean it’s a smart decision.

5 Likes

I used to be quicker to defend. Through conversations in this community I’ve seen where I can improve. I will still defend but only after every reasonable action has been exhausted trying to get away from the situation. Once in a corner and no other option is available then yes deadly force is a tool in the tool box that I’ve trained to use. Again it’s at the bottom of that tool box.

4 Likes

This, unfortunately, is the “kneeJERK” that will be heard around the world. The dynamics of this situation and the time it is taking place is the worst possible, it’s called the perfect storm. This changed from protesting to looting to all out anarchy. When Mayors, politicians and police give away law and order to the anarchists it becomes more deadly.
I can’t get over the fact that a police precinct/department abandoned it’s post. I have no words for this cowardice. If our military acts like this, we are doomed.
I was living in a fantasy world for two days, thinking and expressing to my wife, this won’t happen in our state until I read this mornings news. Boy, am I an idiot.
I’m treating this like the first 30 days of the pandemic because what we are seeing is pure pandemonium.
This could actually be the start of our revolution.
I’m really sickened by that video, our children had to see a murder take place in real time. Worse a murder by someone in a uniform. How can a child respect the uniform after this?
This may sound quite idiotic, but would it help if the idiot cop presented himself to the country and made a sincere apology to the family and us as a country? He actually owes us all an apology, the same way China owes us an apology, or am I just losing it?
I do feel bad for his family and his neighbors. He could have been my neighbor or your neighbor.
I actually felt better about the Coronavirus.
Now I have new concerns. I have grandkids the same age as the “protesters”.
I pray I never have to draw my weapon. With everyone in masks it’s going to be a whole new level of awareness. It’s not just the mob mentality, the lone wolf predator will have it’s way, it can smell the blood.
I was on high alert for the pandemic, I don’t know how much higher my awareness can get.
Hope everyone stays safe out there. This morning I’m going to pick up some groceries, is this a survivable task?

6 Likes

The question also comes down to, are they simply lawless rioters or terrorists?

We all have a right to our property, and a property in our rights, yet the legal basis is you can not defend property.

At what point does it cease being about property, and about your physical well being, about your life and liberty.

If you are where you legally have a right to be, and you find yourself outnumbered, self defense is still a legal right.

If you put yourself into a position you should not be, you then stand on less firm legal ground.

However, if I am where I am legally allowed to be, have a right to be, and stand to prevent damage and lawlessness, and am then under threat, it is self defense. Far too many videos of people attacked by larger numbers of lawless rioters and terrorists.

Yes, I consider them terrorists, as they are attempting to terrorize, to push a political agenda via threats, force, violence, fear……

There should be no legal ambiguity, when defending against lawless rioters who pose a threat to body and life.

Is that perhaps more hard line and open to a leftist prosecutor who fails to know the law and the Constitution, perhaps. But at some point, we either have law and order and the rule of law, or we have anarchy and chaos.

3 Likes

In the words of the immortal Pat Morita, “Best defense, no be there.”

5 Likes

If you choose to defend, how high are the odds that you will immediately be outgunned and flanked? If you are defending from a structure, if it ends up on fire how long will that take? I feel that you have the right to protect you, your family, and your property, but the odds of taking a stand and defending yourself and walking away are low. I don’t mean to sound like I distrust the legal system, but if you follow the 7p’s and make it out against a large mob/riot, what happens if the media spins it around and a prosecutor makes the argument that you could have evacuated prior to the confrontation?

4 Likes

While it is true that it is a disgusting video, that what the officer did should be unacceptable, per some reports now, the coroner’s report has stated the officer’s knee had nothing to do with the death.

Perhaps, before passing judgement and convicting on emotion and mob mentality, we should wait until all of the evidence is available.

5 Likes

Your job is to protect yourself, family and loved ones. If you are getting rushed by a charging mob at this point you will probably be in fear of losing your life or someone in your family, take care of business.

7 Likes

Worst case scenario is mob marching in residential neighbourhood. People banging on doors, trying to break in. Turning over cars, setting them on fire. It may be impossible or unsafe to leave. I am at a loss to imagine what homeowners can do to protect themselves

4 Likes

Home owners and business owners… I feel equally concerned for all of them.

How do we prepare for the worst in the very unique situation of the world today?

3 Likes

If battle comes for you and you can’t avoid it, it’s time to defend yourself. Worst case scenario? Maybe you need your 3 battle buddies? Saddle up if you gotta :muscle:

4 Likes

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want peace, prepare for war.

4 Likes

Always be prepared, and be armed.

3 Likes

I’ve heard it called war gaming (not exactly sure from where) But you absolutely have to put yourself in worse case scenarios and work your way thru them.
Personally I’ve imagined myself surrounded by an unexpected flash mob surrounding vehicles and becoming violent with my family in the car. All I do is mentally play out my options, how can I set myself up for the most successful get away? What does successful look like? I don’t find comfort in thinking of these things but I do in knowing if they arose I would have a plan.

“A good plan , violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” Known for his brilliance on the battlefield, Patton often had to make decisions based on limited information and time. But he knew to avoid “paralysis by analysis” and make a decision and execute it the best he could.

5 Likes

I could not begin to adequately address your concerns. They differ for every individual in degree. But I would advise that if you’ve not already done so, stop watching the MSM. There is a ton of current, more accurate information on websites the “news” won’t admit exists.
There is much wisdom in the saying, “All is not what it seems to be.” How very true right now.
If you consider your personal existence as just a biological anomaly, than panic is natural, but if you realize you are alive right now by divine design, much more perspective is gained.
And yes, I don;'t know you, and I know I took a chance with this reply. No offense intended.

3 Likes

Thank you. And absolutely NO offense at all. The only thing that offends me is the take over of our nation by folks that don’t believe in it’s system. I think I’m watching too much news. Appreciate your thoughts. That’s what this place is all about.
I would watch my “Looney tunes” but I understand that’s illegal now!

3 Likes

I just received a good Youtube video on McFiles, and that was after an hour of Bongino. Pretty sad, but it had to happen sooner or later. America is the one sticking point in the Globalist agenda. If we think it’s crazy now, just imagine what will happen closer to the election!

5 Likes