Should you carry with one in the chamber?

@Layton, Yes, I can’t stress the importance of proper training with your weapon(s) consistently! I’ve shared this before but once more can’t hurt, “Firearm skills are perishable.” (Unknown Author)

Therefore our goal should be to practice, practice, and when you think you mastered it…practice again!

Talking about it has almost made me want to call in and say, "Ah Yes, Since Molly took a mental health day last Friday, I’ll be taking my Firearms Range Day for health purposes!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Maybe they will except an excuse from some professionals such as the USCCA :rofl::rofl:

Happy Friday my lovely Friends! I pray we all have a peaceful weekend and blessings to the weekend troopers out there! We see you and we thank you!

What do you think friends, you think I would have my job Monday? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
(The answer is absolutely, positivity, without a shadow of a doubt, NOOOO)

6 Likes

I picked up my permit Thursday. I started carrying Thursday. I was extremely nervous for 15 nervous. I was fidgety for 30. I fretted about printing the whole time. But more, this was the question that kept bugging me, and it was the one that stood out in the 16 hour class as well.

~ If you're not carrying with one in the chamber why are you carrying a gun at all ~

I have a Mace Gun 2.0, and a Pepper Blaster II; non-lethal choices for defending oneself. My gun is to defend my life and my those of my family, and willing to take another to do so. Not carrying one in the chamber, is not committing to that. I spun the hollowpoint over and over in my hand as I was reviewing all of this from the class, and here. Then I realized… No one ever taught me how to put one in the chamber with a full magazine… I had to go learn, then I could start carrying. And I did, with one in the chamber.

7 Likes

I think I wouldn’t go quite that far, but I think you have to train for what you actually have to do. People who “Israeli Carry” (not chambered) MUST train to rack as they draw. When people train for that, and realize the additional time that it costs, and really understand how small the physical distances and required response times are, it will almost always change their mind. And it should.

People carry unchambered because they don’t trust their equipment or they don’t trust themselves. If you don’t have a firearm you trust, learn more about how it operates so you can correctly evaluate it’s safe operation, or get a safer gun. If you don’t trust yourself, get a coach and train and practice so that you do.

Glad you worked that through @Hailey … a lot of folks take a whole lot longer to sort that out. :+1: :clap:

10 Likes

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on getting your permit @Hailey ! :grin:

9 Likes

Carrying a Concealed Carry Handgun without a round in the chamber is like jumping out of an airplane with an unpacked parachute thinking you can pack it on the way down. You will never be able to execute fine motor skill and cognitive abilities under the effects of the bodies response to fight or flight. You will more than likely draw and pull the trigger with an unloaded firearm. The loudest sound you will ever hear in a gun fight is when your gun goes “click”, instead of “boom”.

Also, consider the fact that you will more than likely be drawing your firearm in a defensive matter in an effort to stop a violent assault. You will have to be capable of moving to concealment and/or cover while you chamber a round and then ascertain your site picture. Think about a major league hitter trying to make contact with a 90 mph fastball and not having the bat in a ready to swing position.

If your not chambered and ready, please do not draw in a defensive scenario without cover and concealment or employ other tactics like a tactical retreat. People don’t plan to fail, they fail to plan.

11 Likes

Well I am certainly in agreement with you
and I always carry in the same manner. But (here it comes) the entire country of Israel and a few other countries use the Israeli Method or Israeli Carry and seemingly works well for them.

5 Likes

I havent really any ont that said they use Laser snap caps and laser reaction targets to train your motor memory which is really to me to train my motor memory with out going to the range and expend ammo you have to replace and every one needs to know your weapon and become one with it and the advantage is that in the house or garage you can dry fire the weapon and show where the round will hit, I have been doing that for years and when I had a confrontation it was executed flawless and did not even remember drawing the weapon,and that is what you want when seconds count and that is act and not to react because the one to act will probably win and the one that reacts will probably lose and that is what I was I was trained to not do and live

5 Likes

Went to court Friday and all charger were dismissed with full rights returned along with weapons rights

6 Likes

Ck on the BRANDISHING law if a state has one on the books,then even if they have any type of stand your ground,then the BRANDISHING law makes any self defense moot,they will arrest and charge you as they did with me.

5 Likes

I have a GS2 9mm and I carry in ankle holster and I dont carry any carry weapon with out a thumb saftey and it always has one in the pipe same as my main carry 45 and ghot used to the thumb safety in service so it is natural to me,as at any point accidents can happen.

5 Likes

Always and never are a very long time. That being said, if you train enough to commit your tactics to muscle memory, you can achieve positive results in many methods including the Israeli Method. Since these skills will be perishable, continual training coupled with tactical updates/debriefs that are based on real life results from violent encounters will increase the success rate.

But by no means is that technique going to work in a low common denominator training element with inexperienced firearms operators who possess little to no field firearms, fighting, or critical decision making experience.

5 Likes

Very glad you were able to successfully defend yourself, once in person and once on court. That has to be a relief!

I agree, however in one sense the bad guy almost always puts us in a position of reacting… they instigate the crime before we instigate the defense. That is part of why it is so important to drill in the muscle memory.

I think you’ll find quite a bit of discussion on here about practice with laser ammo, search on “dry fire” or “dryfire” as well as “laser” and you’ll turn up some threads. Lots of folks on here do use it, including me, @TexasEskimo, @Kiest, @BrophE and I’m guessing @45IPAC, @james, and more than a few others dry fire with or without laser ammo. It is indeed a very, very important way of practicing.

Edited to add a couple links

5 Likes

Also true for everything else people think they will be able to do under pressure, but don’t practice. Which is why most of us teach carry chambered. People still have to find a way to get comfortable with that, whether it’s a manual safety (which also requires extensive training to execute always, and when under pressure) or learning about why their striker fired gun is safe, and how to carry and draw it safely.

6 Likes

Well I always have the barrel chamber loaded, I’m not a fan of Israeli Carry I can see more disadvantages than advantages I am curious was the first thing is all.

6 Likes

I do dry fire training almost daily. I just keep putting in the reps so that drawing and the first DA shot with my CZ P07 is muscle memory. We also did A LOT of dry fire in the military.

What drills do you like doing/ recommend doing for dry fire training @Zee?

7 Likes

@james, same as you, draw-on target-fire, and I rotate with malfunction clearance and reloads. I’ve got a SIRT type practice gun and some active targets that react to the laser, and that’s fun, keeps it from getting boring.

I got a DryFire Mag for my glock and its awesome for multi-trigger pull practice without having to rack.

8 Likes

@James, I do the same. Even that I shoot at least 1 magazine presenting firearm from lower ready position with DA only every time I’m visiting my Range.
(BTW: nice choice with P-07 :slightly_smiling_face:)

6 Likes

Reloads and malfunction clearing is super important! What dry fire mag did you get? Can you please post a link @Zee?

@Jerzees That DA trigger press is definitely something I work on as well. Just present, shoot, decock, repeat for as many rounds as it takes to stay consistent. I am happy to hear you work on it as well.

6 Likes

This is what I got, have it in .45 and 9mm:

Not cheap, but does exactly what it says it does… resets your trigger for dry fire practice.

6 Likes

I am a big believer that you buy once ad cry once with quality items. I might have to look into dry fire mags.

6 Likes