People new to carry that have questions

I’m offering any help to anyone new to the carrying lifestyle. Any questions in regards to carrying, training, mental questions and so on. If you’re not comfortable asking openly. Send me a private message. I’m willing to answer anything you may want to know.

3 Likes

It’s good to have experienced people to ask. In general, we encourage people to bring their questions here on the forum… you never know when the conversation you have here with one person can be useful to others who are following along. There is often more than one right answer, especially since peoples circumstances can vary a lot, and it’s always impressive to me how many useful perspectives people share.

There are lots of experienced voices on here, and @Dawn has most of the teachers tagged now, so that can be helpful too.

10 Likes

You’ve hit on one of the major parts of this Community- we’re all here to share knowledge, ask questions and help each other be as best prepared as we can for our self-defense.

We’ve worked really hard to make sure everyone feels comfortable to ask questions so we can all learn and refresh our training.

5 Likes

That’s why I’m offering to help out anyone that has questions especially the new people. I was in the online chat with James from USCCA and he suggested I come to the forum and offer to help out others. So here I am and happy to help any way I can.

2 Likes

That’s good news we can all work together and give several perspectives on one question.

3 Likes

@James is awesome! And I know you and I have talked a bunch before on Facebook or was it Twitter? :thinking:

Glad to have you here @Rebelcowboy32! Please feel free to tag me in posts (@dawn) I do my best to see as much as I can, but I don’t always see every single post as quickly as I’d like. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to ask the first question? Say you can’t carry at work but you’re allowed to have firearm in vehicle, what safe would you recommend? I’ve carried for a year, weapon is at home while at work. Wanting to change that since its allowed in vehicles.

1 Like

One thing is there’s several car safes to choose from. Depending on how long you want to take getting out for self-defense is a big factor. You have combination briefcase safes, you have biometric safes and key fob safes. For speed I would suggest biometric or key fob. If it’s just for storage in the vehicle, I would suggest the combination safe. It’s pretty much like buying a firearm, what you’re comfortable with, what you need, and how long do you want to take getting it open in an emergency. Maybe someone else will have an opinion different from mine.

1 Like

My wife has the same problem. Here was our solution. It comes with a tether that I was able to lock into the seat frame. She slide it out from under the driver seat and easily places or removes her firearm. I’m sure there are other options. But gander mountain was closing the store location by us and we ended up getting this for less then $30. Whichever one you find make sure it has a tether.

2 Likes

@Dawn yes we know each other. I still remember the time you were on the proving grounds. That was good and helped me out in my thought process. I also know your thoughts on the questions will be well appreciated as well. I really like having several points of view because it makes for a good discussion and helps with looking at things other ways. Have a great night.

2 Likes

Thank you @ScottC that’s one of the ones I was talking about in regards to speed. They are worth having no matter which one you get.

2 Likes

I occasionally contract for the state, I work in a very secure area and am not even allowed to bring a cell phone inside.
Is there a safe that I can firmly bolt (or weld) to the car interior or trunk? There are too many electronics under the front seats to even put a slice of cheese in. And the (flimsy) glove box did not come with a lock.
I ask this because I don’t want someone to break into my car and steal my firearm. Add that to the cost of a safe they make off with and it gets expensive. Plus now a criminal has a weapon.
Suggestions?

1 Like

I’m actually not a fan of biometric safes… as an Engineer I’ve worked on the design of fingerprint reading systems and some people’s fingerprints dont work well for reading devices. Additionally, they can fail to open if how you interact with the reader changes when under time pressure or fear, causing you to need several tries to open it. Your mileage may vary, but it may, or may not be a reliable solution.

Key and combo locks have their own challenges, and any lock that relies on batteries runs the risk of being out of juice when you need it, and then you have to resort to a physical key.

There are some that use a “simplex” style lock (similar to the ones on key lockboxes used by real estate agents) that are mechanical (no battery), large keys, and easy to use. This is what I got my granddaughter for her home bedside storage.
V-Line Brute Heavy Duty Safe with Quick Access Lock, Black

The next one is the lock box I have in my truck… I don’t use it for rapid access, but for secure lockup and when transporting in areas that don’t have reciprocity for my permits.

Hornady 98177 RAPiD Safe 2600KP Large Handgun Security Safe with RFID Technology (10.7 x 8.7 x 2.9-Inches)

This last one is my preferred method of locking my firearm in my truck… rapid access, mounted on the floor of the cab by my right knee. It doesn’t “fully enclose” but it’s super secure and can easily be made invisible by dropping a lap robe or travel blanket over it:
Jotto Gear Quick Access Rugged Steel NRA Locking Handgun Holster for Car, Office, Many Locations

2 Likes

@TexasEskimo the Jotto holster I listed above bolts into the floor, or the console, or wherever you decide to attach it… it can be riveted down or screwed in place, and it comes with hardware intended to attach it to metal components like the car floor. Pretty sure it would take the Jaws Of Life to remove it from my truck, and the holster and locking bar are pretty darn robust. I’m going with not breakable.

You could also look at one of the Lock’er Down console safes if they have one that fits or adapts to your vehicle… one similar to this is on my shopping list:
Lock’er Down Console Safe with 4 Digit Combo, Keep Personal Items Secure and Organized in Car, Compatible With 2010 - 2019 Toyota 4Runner

1 Like

@Zee Thanks. The Jotto is tentatively in my Amazon shopping cart. Going to wait to see if there are better options provided by community members. If I go with the Jotto I will go to my car guys and have them install it right. To me that means high strength rivots, tack welds, or stripping bolt heads after they are tightened. I could care less about what the next buyer thinks. I’m in Texas, chances are the next buyer will have a gun as well. Great selling point! IMO at least.
Any more ideas out there?

2 Likes

Here’s a thread on the Jotto in my truck:

It was great talking to you yesterday! You can always just browse the topics and interject help or learn on whatever topics are interesting to you.

I appreciate you taking my suggestion and I think you’ll be like the friendly discussions we have here.

2 Likes

@James Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve found that I can share my knowledge and help others out. Although I see from time to time people will disagree on things but as long as it stays civil I’m all for it. I know I train differently than most people but that’s because I learned on my own. My training in shooting is what I wanted to learn to do. Which is why I can do some things that others will argue that its not a good idea.

1 Like

@Zee I have concerns with that last safe. While robust and very difficult to defeat, you do have to conceal it with a blanket or something. Smash and grab thieves look for anything in a car to steal. If they see a blanket covering something, they might smash your window to find out more. While they might not defeat the device, you still have a smashed window to deal with. And the thief knows what’s there now. If the smash and grab happened in front of your house, they might come back and try again another time. I think out of sight is best to prevent this type of opportunist crime.

1 Like

You have a point for smash and grabs, although you can deter thieves from thinking about breaking into your vehicle just like your home. Parking in front of your home, have motion detection lights pointed at the vehicles and other places. Park in well lit places and so on. I have dogs that go everywhere with me. I keep eater and a fan to help keep them cool during the Summer.

2 Likes