Should you carry with one in the chamber?

1 - ALWAYS carry with a holster. No exception.
2 - ALWAYS carry with a round chambered. An unloaded hand gun, ie no round in the chamber, is just a hammer.

8 Likes

Welcome to the group @Stone_Wallace.
I agreeā€¦ and thatā€™s a call for more frequent and more effective training.

I think most people enter each phase of their evolution into the CC way of life with some trepidation or anxiety. Itā€™s like learning to driveā€¦ thereā€™s a lot to know, and thereā€™s real risk. We didnā€™t learn to be safe, competent and confident on our first time behind the wheel. We donā€™t learn that on our first carry day either.

Ongoing training and practice makes the difference for both skills.

7 Likes

Soo on point! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5 Likes

If youā€™re a first time defensive carrier, youā€™ll notice that you are extremely aware of your surroundings! Get comfortable with that feeling, it lets you know that you are thinking. Probably thinking more clearly. You may feel your being watched, your not, you may feel that people know your carrying, they donā€™t. Donā€™t flinch when you think someone is getting to close!
Youā€™ll be feeling a lot more stressed due to the extreme responsibilities youā€™ve just undertaken. You are a protector of yourself and your loved ones.
As you get more comfortable youā€™ll start solving situations that may arise, you may start to look for ways out of situations instead of going through them, IE: returning the finger to the guy that just cut you off or bumped you on the way to the rest room. You will learn patience. Youā€™ll understand the law more clearly and know when to get involved and when not to! I have to admit I feel confident in my world.
Whatever you do, donā€™t fidget, donā€™t adjust, donā€™t reach for things with your strong hand. Dress appropriately with the best gear you can afford and the proper clothing, be the grey man and disappear within your surroundings. No one knows you are carrying except you and now me! And with proper training youā€™ll be standing taller and more confident every day.
You are now seeing the world around you for what it is.
Read your state statutes and understand them completely. You are going to feel real weird the first time you carry in a bank, or in a Starbucks when the non governmental sign says no guns allowed, or at Outback for a family dinner.
You should also carry with pride! Thatā€™s an awesome Kimber, Glock, M&P, Ruger etc. itā€™s cleaned and well kept. Keep it that way and we will all be safer and respected.
Happy Holidays and always watch your 6!

9 Likes

I find myself extremely cautious of those in parking lots pandering for money. Before they get close, I tell them donā€™t bother, no cash on hand. As I start looking straight at them, they usually move away.
Same thing at night, except my tone is a little more firm than during the day.
I only trust 3 with my life, God, my wife and myself.
I carry with one in the chamber to be ready to defend if the need arises, while praying that day never comes.

11 Likes

Iā€™m the same way brother.

7 Likes

Of the three, I only trust my wife with my life. She has never endangered my life in any fashion.

I donā€™t trust myself because I have done too many stupid things that I shouldnā€™t have survived.

I trust God with my soul, but not my life. God has given humans free will and the consequences that go with those free will choices. I believe God may have a plan for each of us, but allowing us free will means we have the ability to muck it up. Therefore, I believe more in prayer than providence.

There is always one in the chamber if I am carrying. That way I am almost always guaranteed to get one shot vs. risking a misfeed.

5 Likes

I will just say yes here. So many have stated the howā€™s and whyā€™s of it far more eloquently than I would.

2 Likes

Iā€™m of the mindset that a gun without a round chambered is a rock. If an encounter begins within 3-6 feet, the half second it takes to chamber a round could be the difference between getting a few shots off from the hip or being on the ground under your attacker.

9 Likes

Well said, this was the way I was trained. Biggest problem is adrenalin and worry, not fear, but what IFā€™s. we must continue to train the

best way we can, clear our minds, follow those safety rules. Last, keep that finger off the TRIGGER.

5 Likes

I can not recall if I said anything or not, butā€¦
An external safety is something some of us are familiar with. While I have no problem with a firearm without a safety, I trained and qualified on a 1911A1 and a Browning Hi-Power, and even have had experience with the TT-33 and a few others (plus revolvers)ā€¦. they have external safeties. My thumb basically automatically moves to disengage the safety whether there is one or notā€¦ so I found a striker fired Taurus that has an external safety. Just familiarity. There are some of us who are olderā€¦ who remember when safeties were far more common. Of course, that does not mean I would refuse a Glockā€¦ if one were given to meā€¦

8 Likes

I totally thought everyone knew I was carrying the first time I carried in public! Another huge thing is to not touch your gun - I know a lot of first time carriers start fidgeting with their firearm which just draws attention to it.

BTW, Happy Birthday, @Scott52!!

8 Likes

Thank you for the birthday reminder.:cake:

5 Likes

Yes as long as you know youā€™re trigger lock nevery leave your gun unlock.

2 Likes

Always carry one in the chamber. Seconds matter. Could be the difference between life and death. If anyone is fearful of carrying one in the chamber then they need more training and shouldnā€™t carry until they do so. Essentially you are walking around with an unloaded weapon if itā€™s not racked and ready to fire

5 Likes

Thatā€™s perfect. :smile:

4 Likes

I started carrying full time 24/7 in 1964/1965 in the Military in Cambodia/Laos with one on the pipe of my 1911 45 and slept with it in my hand where alI I had to do was pull the hammer back to fire. The first thing I did when discharged was buy a weapon and have carried for about 55 yrs and dont fell intimidated am used to it being there when needed, there is always one in the pipe and when in bed is under my pillow ready to go when it is required. I was never licensed or any thing until the Feds and States wanted you to PAY Homage for your given right. I got my CCW and I do train/practice 2/3 times a week to keep my motor memory automatic,if you dont use it,you lose it,and that is the truth! I have the USCCA insurance and that is money well spent for sure. I practice with laser snap caps and 3 laser targets 2 of which are timed targets. I mostly use point close shooting since I have on demand laser sites on all my weapons including my rifles,my pistols are zeroed in for 50yds.

If you are ever in a confrontation and you draw down there will be charges against you even where it is true self defense at least in Wa.St. Got a Lawyer thru USCCA

Edited to remove personal information by Dawn

6 Likes

Sounds like a pretty intense experience @Layton, glad it came out ok.

5 Likes

[Edited]
Thank you for your service in the military as well as your testimony! Glad you are here to tell the story. Also, my testimony is very similar on the basis of the suspect retreating.

However, the statement above is not always true, and the link below is about my friendā€™s cousin who killed a young adult and sent a minor to LSU Hospital after pulling a BB gun pistol which looks real in the claim of fear for his life (Iā€™m sorry itā€™s now renamed, University) Joe later claimed that one on-scene police officer thanked his cousin for making their job easier.

One should always be prepared for millions of reasons a law-abiding individual would be sent to jail and sit for the court date that could be in two years if not more. If lawyers keep filing motions back and forth it will lag out until the judge is fed up. Yes, you have the right to a speedy trial but you also have the right to affordable bond yet, we know its not affordable for the common people. Your trial may bumped up but an old friend told me minutes feel like hours and days like weeks. I never wanted to find out for myself.

Examples:
(a) Detectives on the scene place you under arrest on circumstantial evidence that by law they have 48 hours while your in orange and plastered on both the 5 & 10 0ā€™clock news to pursue actual charges.

(b) Your District Attorney is on a campaign trail and needs to make an example out of someone. (Regardless how or whyā€¦be protected)

Here is the link to the real occurrence dated back in OCT. 2016:

4 Likes

Yes, I understand that fully now and glad that I have paid membership for USCCA and they are furnishing the legal representation, and I am glad that the training I have done all these years paid off.

work on the skills you have and be open to your training, and most certainly keep your weapons insurance active

Edited to remove personal information by Dawn

3 Likes