Should you carry with one in the chamber?

That is a good response! Did you see the video of the dad and the son where the father business owner always though he would have enough time to rack one…

Sadly him and his son are not alive today.

6 Likes

Too much sensory overload happening to have time to rack the slide.

6 Likes

I don’t know where you are, But here a box of Personal Defense Ammo is only about $20.00 Buy a box of those and leave the FMJ’s for the range.

5 Likes

The “Shirt Pickers” are the funniest to watch.

4 Likes

If you carry, always carry in condition one! Just as you are always in condition yellow! Consult Col. Jeff Cooper if your not sure what condition yellow is.
Rule #1 Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
There is no question, my carry piece is always cocked and locked.
If you are going to carry you must have a reason!
Carrying to protect yourself and others requires you to be completely prepared. Always, always KNOW what condition your weapon is in, there are no excuses.
There will be no time to rack a slide from a concealed position unless you’ve been trained by Mossad!
George Zimmerman would probably be dead If he had to rack the slide.
If I’m right he fired from a retention position as his head was being smashed against concrete.
Seriously, in my opinion, one in the chamber!
It’s Holiday season watch your back, your front, your sides. Be completely aware of your surroundings.

7 Likes

What other use does the chamber have if not for storing another round? Silly question @Dawn. Just plain silly.

7 Likes

Not silly question at all…
“Israeli carry” is still popular. Maybe it is not perfect in self defense situation, but still in use.
Definitely we need to give more advice to new person thinking about carrying one in the chamber than to somebody carrying in “condition 3”.

BTW: Slide rack time added to holster draw from “condition 3” vs “condition 0” is 0.4 sec. Maybe it is a lot, but there are still people who prefer “old style safety”

5 Likes

It’s not silly because I’ll have to illiterate because when I started carrying many, many years ago I’m recalling being afraid to have one in the chamber.

6 Likes

That’s true. Round in the chamber is a common “first time shooter fear”.

7 Likes

At first it did seem like a silly question, but had to recall my own past.

We should address new shooters and let them get over that fear comfortably with support as well as knowledge.

8 Likes

I was being silly. Do what makes you most comfortable.

8 Likes

We know you were just kidding @TexasEskimo

When I first considered the question I was thinking it was silly thought too.

5 Likes

With all respect and with all honor, please always carry around in the chamber. Your life depends on it, sir.

Thank you,

William

6 Likes

I do, sir…

I was talking about when first started carrying.

8 Likes

Thank you ! I think we all did when we first started. I saw a hour program on
TV about Israel’s special forces and how they trained with out a chambered round,
But they have had a lot of training and practice. Thanks!

6 Likes

The Israels special forces are some bad mo-fo’s forsure!
I wouldn’t want to pick a fight with one of them!

I wonder why we all do that when we first start carrying… :thinking:

7 Likes

I’m guessing for the same reason I kept looking at my reflection passing every window to make sure I wasn’t printing.

6 Likes

I knew you were making a joke really I did

6 Likes

Its ok as long its in the holster on your side in know your trigger locked.

6 Likes

Beyond the MANDATORY application of the Universal Firearm Safety Rules, no one should be compelled to perform any OPTIONAL procedure with a firearm, of which they are not fully capable and confident.

6 Likes