Getting out of the vehicle - for your self-defense

We’ve talked about carrying in a car when we travel and how to store the firearm if need be. But we haven’t talked about what to do when we encounter a self-defense situation when we’re in the car.

Beth Alcazar gives us some pointers:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/seatbelts-cars-and-firearms-firearms-training-beyond-the-norm/

How do you train to get out of your car in a self-defense situation?

2 Likes

Good article. When traveling long distances, I sometimes will either wear a crossdraw capable holster, or put holster and all in the console of my truck. I also like the fact, that @Beth points out to remember that your vehicle can be a defensive weapon itself. I would only leave my vehicle as a last resort. If it was disabled to the point it wouldn’t move any more. Also, that’s why I shy away from carry guns with ported barrels. If I had to fight from inside the vehicle, Hot gas in the face doesn’t bode well for the occupants.

2 Likes

We practiced this occasionally with the sheriff’s office. It needs to be practiced with every weapon configuration you will carry and every vehicle you will be using. It is a whole lot different drawing in a Interceptor than it is in a 2011 Camaro and with a duty rig with double/triple retention holster versus an IWB holster under a a couple layers of clothing.

1 Like