Should you carry with one in the chamber?

Thanks for all the discussions. This is definitely interesting. But for me, I will work my way up to it ( putting one in the chamber ). Nothing wrong with the journey. For now I feel good carrying, and that’s a good first step. Thanks again.

6 Likes

What do you see new carriers do?

2 Likes

@Barndog

You have to do what you feel comfortable with. If it’s to carry without one in the chamber that’s fine. Just work on a way to get your firearm into battery and into play as soon as possible.

I would highly recommend looking up videos of the Israeli Draw and practicing it.

Good luck and well wishes on your journey.

5 Likes

His implication is that new carriers will appear uncomfortable, check their weapon, and other telltale signs. The best cure for that is wear it at home, first, until one gets comfortable.

The same goes with one in the chamber, if you are uncomfortable with that, carry at home until you are comfortable. My question to the chambered round issue is, have you ever had a round go off while at the range that was not due to your finger pulling the trigger? If the firearm is holstered, your finger can’t get to the trigger.

4 Likes

That’s a great first step! I will challenge you to push through and take another step sooner rather than later. It’s easy to stay where we’re comfortable. We all know you want to do what’s best to protect yourself - and sometimes the growth is a bit out of our comfort zone.

10 Likes

I was having a discussion with a friend about having one in the chamber and I referred him to this post. One thing I didn’t see (or maybe missed) is the built in Glock safeties to get people more comfortable with having a round chambered. So here’s a link to a video I found:

Glock Safety

Also, in response to cycling and shooting self defense rounds. I always shoot the round that’s chambered. The rest of the rounds get removed, visually checked, then put back in another magazine. Probably unnecessary, but I’m thinking the spring can “rest” on the previous magazine.

My question is, how often should I cycle out the rounds in the magazine, ever to be used as EDC rounds again? So far, I’ve read everything from every trip to range, to every 6 months, to once a year, to never.

4 Likes

@PDA3 - look for answer here:

4 Likes

I can only tell you from experience it’s quite a disadvantage to carry with an empty chamber. While in the Navy in 93-94, working security, I carried an M1911A1 in condition 3…that was a full mag inserted, with an empty chamber.

I trained quite a bit on drawing and racking the slide to chamber a round because I knew it cost time. The Navy went to condition 3 because of a rash of accidental discharges, mainly by Marines.

I got pretty good at it but I didn’t like it. However being on base personal weapons were greatly restricted. Personal weapons were turned in to the armory. In civilian life it’s very different. People are locked and loaded and when you consider most times the perp will have the drop on you, having to rack a round in, puts you at a tremendous disadvantage.

I get it if you want to work up to being confident with a cocked and locked weapon if you don’t feel safe with that…and I hope you get there soon!!!

6 Likes

Never did understand why unloaded.

We had a delivery go to the wrong location, an Army base… No names.
I had to go get it, and since it was explosive, it was at the magazine storage, and of course it was fenced and guarded. The young soldier on duty called out ‘password’… and well, being a smart a$$ I called back “Miller Time”… but no worries, her M-16 did not even have a magazine inserted and the magazine I could see in her pouch had no rds.

A Sgt came running and we explained what we wanted and he politely told the young soldier to move and forget we were ever there.

But I thought about it… what would happen if she needed to defend herself or the magazine storage… think of all the explosives and munitions there.

4 Likes

My question for the group would be how safe is a FNS-40 with manual safety, keeping one in the chamber? I have trained dry firing, in safe conditions, of pulling my firearm out from my iwb holster and racking it and then firing. Wanted to get some opinions from y’all on this firearm. All is appreciated and I will start carrying one in the chamber but was just wondering like I said. Thanks again for all opinions.

3 Likes

@DanFNS, I do not shoot FN handguns, but every firearm with manual safety is safer than one without it. Round in the chamber never fires with safety ON. No doubt.
The only issue with FNS-40 that I can see is size of the safety lever. However, if you practice - it shouldn’t be a problem.

I shoot CZ with manual safety and do not have any hesitations about its condition. Safety lever is a little bigger than on FNS-40, but still a lot smaller than on 1911s. It took me few dozen hours of dry fire and draw stroke practice, but now I have no problem with carrying one in the chamber, drawing, setting safety off and putting round in target - all knowing that I’m safe.
I was afraid of my safety starting carrying with chambered round… till the moment my Instructor simulated the self defense scenario and my supporting hand had to do everything else but not racking the slide. :lying_face: So I was protecting my wife, my kids, covering my head against the knife, moving people away from the shooter… and my handgun was never able to fire :disappointed: I know, I could rack it on belt or holster… but believe me, in stress - your tool has to be ready for action right away, there is no time for thinking about firearm condition.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input. I appreciate all I can get. The size of the safety doesn’t seem big to me but then again it’s the only hand gun I have for EDC. I’ll definitely look at other compact guns for EDC when I get some more money saved up. Thanks again.

3 Likes

when I first started carrying I did not have one in the chamber for the first week. then moved to carrying it cocked but the chamber was still empty. After a couple weeks and the gun was still cocked and had not fired, I started carrying with one in the chamber. Learning how you gun works, helps a lot. The more you learn about how your gun works the more you’ll realize that the chance of the gun firing accidentally is practically zero.

7 Likes

always read your firearm manual , it also depends on the firearm model and style in the 1911 case you do not just need one in the chamber you also need to carry it locked and loaded , Hammer down and safety on . looks scary but that is how you need to carry it safely. ( This does not apply to old 1911’s without thumb safety included)

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s condition 2. A 1911 should be carried in condition 1, as per Col. Jeff Cooper ,cocked and locked. One in the chamber, full magazine, hammer cocked back and thumb safety on.

Not a scary look, completely prepared look.

8 Likes

That is exactly what I Am saying. oh man beautiful piece !!! it looks scary for new gun owners only until they learn it’s safe . Gotta love those 1911’s

4 Likes

And you also need to know how, that is why we pratice

3 Likes

It’s been 7 1/2 weeks since I have obtained my CC permit and finally made the leap today to start carrying with one in the chamber. After pouring through this thread, and others on the topic, I decided it’s time. I’m a little nervous about it, but I know my EDC gun very well and all of the built in safety features it has. (Taurus G2C). I’m sure my confidence level will go up with each passing day, but it has certainly raised my awareness to a higher level. Thanks to this great community and the wealth of information and knowledge, I know reaching that comfort level will be achieved very soon.
Thank you to all of the wonderful members here.

3 Likes

You should start by only carrying at home, until you are comfortable with it. More range time will help, too. Mentally, you need to be confident that a firearm is still safe, even with a chambered round while it is holstered, or when you do not have your finger on the trigger. Only in extreme circumstances, it’s in a hot oven, or there is something actually mechanically wrong with the sear/safety, etc., of a modern handgun, will there be a chance of an accidental discharge - this is different than a negligent discharge that requires your action to fire the firearm, typically finger on the trigger, which cannot happen inside a holster.

3 Likes

Hey brother you took that step and I’m proud of you. Yell never go back now.

3 Likes