How often do you cycle your carry ammo?

I know that ammunition properly stored will last almost indefinitely. That being said, ammunition carried every day is not in storage under ideal conditions and is subject to weather, humidity, sweat, etc. Because of this about every six months or so, I cycle the ammo in my carry sidearm and spare magazine through at the range and reload them with fresh. Doing this incurs some cost but it is a small price to pay to make sure that if I need it, my gun is going to go bang.

I’m interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject.

6 Likes

I do it every year. I have a small stockpile of carry ammo, it can sometimes take a few months to get from my “supplier”. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P LE rounds. I guess it depends on government contracts as to availability. I used to rotate more frequently, now I just do it every year.

3 Likes

I shoot defensive ammo through all my guns if it’s not a brand I used before. If it doesn’t cause any problems I buy what I need and shoot through it yearly.

2 Likes

I use Federal HST 124 gr JHP. I carry everday, with the mag in the gun as well as two extra mags, for a total of 31 rounds (MA ten round limit). I’ll put those down range every few months, not any particular schedule, and reload with fresh ammo I have in the safe.

I get 50 round boxes of the HST for 28 bucks.

2 Likes

Honestly, good ammo lasts a long time even under less than ideal conditions. I carry Federal LE 147 gr HST tactical. I usually have a 12 rd mag in the weapon and a spare 12 on my belt. There are also a few spares in the gun safe and a bunch more in my go bag so a total of just under 200 rounds ready to go. I shoot the 25 always on me about one a year and run them all through every 2 years.

4 Likes

I’ve heard 6 months, but I’m really starting to believe that’s excessive. I’m planning on cycling every year. (I know this is old, but I figure I don’t want to create a new topic of the same thing)

3 Likes

The recommendation I just got from a very seasoned firearms instructor from the Jefferson County (Kentucky) Sheriff’s Office is
“Inspect [duty ammo] for damage & crud every 6 months.
Shoot the duty ammo then reload with new every year if possible.
Just recommendation!”
JCSO policy includes 4 qualifications per year and each year duty ammo is shot at 1 qualification and a new box of 50 rounds is provided to each deputy. Each deputy carried up to 46 rounds of .40 cal Federal HST with a department issued Glock 35 or 27.

5 Likes

I shoot mine up once a year. However during that time I unload my 3 mags and clean and inspect my ammo. That was the drill when I worked corrections in Va. Never had any situations…

2 Likes

I’m still likely to go 1-2 years (1 year for the ammo in the mags I carry and 2 years for the rest). Most LEOs are carrying in open holsters and in their weapons and ammo are subject to heat, cold, dry, rain, snow and humidity. And you are talking about probably one box (50 rds) per officer.

2 Likes

I try to cycle my ammo every 3 months. I will shoot my carry ammo and reload new ammo after cleaning my guns.

3 Likes

What are y’all’s practices now?

2 Likes

@Scoutbob I have not been shooting recently just trying to build up my ammo supply for now. Wish things were different. If things were normal I would be doing like my previous post dated 06/20/20 above.

Not too much different. I’d end up cycling SD ammo once or twice a year. I didn’t last year, so I’m overdue.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna keep running the ammo I have been running for another year :man_shrugging:t2:, I have some stored away, but I also do t want to be frivolous,

Maybe I’ll look through the rounds and take any that look rough for my liking out of the rotation.

2 Likes

I set aside any rounds that I end up racking out of the slide during administrative loadings (clearing to clean, or dryfire, etc). Those go into a “used” pile. And I use those up at the range.

It goes to that thread on here somewhere RE setback. If the round has been racked once it won’t have any setback, but after X times having the slide drop on them you do. So before it shows setback I set them aside.

1 Like

In the past, I rotated every 3-months in my training routine to refresh my carry ammo and to practice using what I carry with.

Not anymore, I plan to rotate annually depending on availability. I believe life has changed for us and every round counts.

3 Likes

I wish I had the ammo to do this. I would run out pretty quick due to dry fire practice.

I’ve heard some people running cheaper jhp like Winchester White box because they can shoot it a lot. I really like my HST though.

3 Likes

Serious question… with the cost of ammo where it is (especially for HD/SD ammo) would it justify the cost of a SIRT pistol (if they make one in your CCW model) or perhaps buy another firearm exactly like your CCW. You might call it a “spare”, and just use that for dry-fire. Leave your CCW loaded and in holster. It has the advantage of reducing administrative handling.

Tell you wallet I said “You’re welcome” :wink:

3 Likes

Sounds like a good excuse for another gun :+1::joy:.

3 Likes

I take all new purchased ammo and put this on every round

Piece of mind

5 Likes