How often do you cycle your carry ammo?

I know that ammunition properly stored will last almost indefinitely. That being said, ammunition carried every day is not in storage under ideal conditions and is subject to weather, humidity, sweat, etc. Because of this about every six months or so, I cycle the ammo in my carry sidearm and spare magazine through at the range and reload them with fresh. Doing this incurs some cost but it is a small price to pay to make sure that if I need it, my gun is going to go bang.

I’m interested in other peoples thoughts on this subject.

2 Likes

I do it every year. I have a small stockpile of carry ammo, it can sometimes take a few months to get from my “supplier”. I carry Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P LE rounds. I guess it depends on government contracts as to availability. I used to rotate more frequently, now I just do it every year.

2 Likes

I shoot defensive ammo through all my guns if it’s not a brand I used before. If it doesn’t cause any problems I buy what I need and shoot through it yearly.

2 Likes

I use Federal HST 124 gr JHP. I carry everday, with the mag in the gun as well as two extra mags, for a total of 31 rounds (MA ten round limit). I’ll put those down range every few months, not any particular schedule, and reload with fresh ammo I have in the safe.

I get 50 round boxes of the HST for 28 bucks.

2 Likes

Honestly, good ammo lasts a long time even under less than ideal conditions. I carry Federal LE 147 gr HST tactical. I usually have a 12 rd mag in the weapon and a spare 12 on my belt. There are also a few spares in the gun safe and a bunch more in my go bag so a total of just under 200 rounds ready to go. I shoot the 25 always on me about one a year and run them all through every 2 years.

1 Like