Should Teachers be Armed?

What about 18yr old students with a concealed carry permit? Should they be allowed to carry on a K-12 campus?

1 Like

In my opinion yes if they have the proper training and permitted to cc. I also think this should extend out to parents and guardians that conceal carry. Places like schools and churches became targets for mass shootings bc they are not armed. Kids and teachers should be able to go to school and feel safe/protected.

1 Like

Here in Ohio the FasterSavesLives program is in full swing with many teachers successfully completing the training.

4 Likes

Schools are posted No Guns in a lot of states.

1 Like

After 3 to 4 months of training, sure. But not just after having taken an NRA course. Follow on training is a must.

2 Likes

Good thoughts!

2 Likes

Unless they are enrolled in school. If they have graduated, then yes. They can vote, join the army, get married, and buy a home at 18. Either we consider them adults, and all the rights afforded an assault apply, or we don’t consider them adults. Since the majority of these “school shooters” are older than 21, the 18 year olds aren’t the problem.

2 Likes

What about after a USCCA course, @Jacob13? :wink: Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Additional training is a great idea for anyone who carries a firearm - especially around a large group of people.

3 Likes

I would train and arm the custodial staff and have other personnel trained and placed at the entrances to the facility. Teachers need to be trained in the event that they need to protect the kids in their class. Teachers need to be focused on teaching.

2 Likes

The district selected a well reviewed private company staffed by active and retired law enforcement folks. They started at a basic level and processed through a very stressful curriculum. It wasn’t just range practice. They covered the legal aspects of use of force, gunshot first aid and they ran multiple walk through with local law enforcement agencies. Mandatory additional training comes with the package. There is more but something’s aren’t publicized for security reasons. Another big consideration is, will your school’s insurance company cover you? Ours did after reviewing the training requirements and results. The idea of using voluntary retired law enforcement and military seems like a joke to me after seeing what it really takes to arm school staff.

2 Likes

All who are qualified, licensed and trained above a county police level should have the right to conceal carry. Student, teachers and other employees should all know who the qualified ones are, and be trained to work as a team when called upon to do so. Training, very complete background check on all interested in serving, should be done on a state police or higher enforcement leave. This group of people are entering a new field that America has has not witnessed before. I believe they are on a level with homeland security, and as such must be trained and paid at that level.
May God help heal America!
Noah

1 Like

Sorry to disagree but most districts run on a very thin financial margin. I suggest you talk with your local school administrators to get a clearer picture. Remember, schools operate using tax money
are you willing to pay more?

3 Likes

I’m a high school teacher and I think teachers that are trained and willing should be allowed to carry concealed.

3 Likes

I hate the idea of arming teachers. However, the reality of our current society with shootings in many places including schools forbids us to ignore it anymore. In the so-called good old days. We never had school shootings and being raised in the West guns were everywhere. However, that reality if it ever existed is gone. The new reality school shootings happen.
We need to expect that they will happen again and again. I sincerely believe that by having teachers and staff who have the correct mindset and are throughly trained in class and on the range. Lives could be saved. Also why not look into the Israel methods of protecting their schools. They have had to use armed protection for many years perhaps shorten the learning curve. Securing schools so they aren’t just open hallways with open glass door ways would limit the open firing range. There are a thousand things to consider. But if we refuse more lives could be lost

2 Likes

These are all voluntary programs so only those willing to step up when necessary are included.

In most states where these programs have been implemented they are also requiring some pretty extensive training before they are initiated and require regular training to keep up skills etc.

2 Likes

These programs have been running for several years already in quite a few states with no problems.

At a minimum you’re talking around 100K additional spending for each cop in most jurisdictions and that’s just more than most can afford.

The armed faculty programs cost less than 10k each per year.

We also have the problem with much of the public being very distrustful or even anti cop and object to “Militarizing Our Schools” or “Turning our Schools Into Prisons”.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to teachers carrying at school. My concern is that the temptation could be there to go stop the intruder who is shooting just down the hall. I believe their primary directive is to keep their class safe. To me that means barricading them in the room, locking the door and helping keep them calm - rather than leave them to confront the shooter.

3 Likes

Problem is that while that slows the shooters down unless we’re going to harden our schools with bullet proof doors and windows it won’t stop them.

Further it won’t stop the use of incendiary liquids.

It will also do nothing to stop them from striking where kids are heavily congregated at assemblies, programs in the auditorium, gym or during games.

So far in all the school districts where these programs have been created there’s been zero problems and none of them have been hit, very likely due to the fact it’s generally given a lot of publicity when they are.

There’s nothing else we can do as cheaply or effectively either.

1 Like

Cowards will not go we’re ppl have guns well arm public is a safer public and gun free zone are open season for unarmed ppl

3 Likes

In order to harden schools against any and all threats we would have to turn them into bunkers. I don’t find that acceptable, not as conditions stand today.

I can see a program where retired LEO and/or vets train and volunteer to act as door security and roving patrols ready to seek and engage an active threat. At the same time, voluntarily trained and armed teachers would be tasked with protecting their classroom, or immediate area, and students,as such as by barricading the classroom door and taking a position to engage a threat trying to enter the room.

The combination of shelter in place defense and mobile responders could be very effective in countering most threats. Add in security protocols at every entrance and it’s a potent safety regimen.

Regards.

1 Like