Should Teachers be Armed?

@45IPAC That’s a great idea that should be taken Nation Wide. Would give less affluent schools and school districts the ability to afford what has now become a necessity for the safety of school age kids. But; if the feds get involved we all know it will become a boondoggle or a project that subject to replacement by something with something more important like that pesky bathroom civility class.

Most of us, myself and other instructors I know are happy to work special rates for any faculty/staff for the purposes of school protection.

3 Likes

One bonus I see to having police officers in school is putting a human face on Police. Too many times people see how the media portray police as “bad” and makes them non-human. Having police in schools where kids get to interact with them on a daily basis can help build a stronger community.

Yes, that is an ideal world solution, but finances may not allow it.

2 Likes

Yes …uniformed LEOs in every school. The students will learn a valuable lesson if the school’s present this as a safety precaution and not as a “we are watching every move you make” thing.

I used to watch a uniformed deputy bring his daughter to elementary school every day. It didn’t take long for the other kids to start giving him high fives…some of our more vocal parents behaved better also

3 Likes

I am also one that can see both the upside and the downside of Armed School Staff. After running several Drug and Alcohol Abatement Programs in High Schools I believe that with a rock solid Training Component, we should allow School Staff to be Armed. I caution that not all School Staff have the Mindset to be carrying a Firearm. I also want to point out that Schools are “Gun Free Zones” and that has not helped at all.

1 Like

Good post Doc. A lot of good folks think anyone with a CC permit should be allowed to carry on school campuses. Having been a firearms instructor for 20 years then an elementary teacher for another 20 years I get cold shivers at the thought. Your point addressing a rock solid training component is spot on. I’ve watched and taken part in such a program and fully realize that arming school staff can be done but must be done correctly.

2 Likes

I agree with both of you! If my kids were still in school, I’d be offering free training for teachers at their schools and I’d be recruiting some of my fellow USCCA Instructors to help out.

If someone approached me to help teach at their school, I’d be more than happy to help out!

4 Likes

“In the Gravest Extreme” should definitely be read by all CCW holders. Some parts are a tad dated, but most of the rest is timeless.

1 Like

My sister is a Highschool teacher in Bandera Yexas. She has her CCL & went to specialclass for teachers to be armed at her school. It makes perfect scesce to me to be able to take down an active shooter as quickly as possible

3 Likes

I don’t think that would apply toward teachers or senior staff. Signs don’t mean anything.

1 Like

I like the idea that a teacher or staff member could work with local law enforcement to get the proper training, and then if willing, carry concealed. I really believe it’s most effective to let people know that there are people in the schools who are armed and trained to respond, and then keep those identities hidden. Leave it between LE and trained school staff. Don’t tell the school board, the parents, or even the other teachers. If an active shooter comes into a school, don’t let them know who might shoot back or what hallway is most protected. Make them afraid.

2 Likes

No they should not. Let the teachers teach. There needs to be use of more community involvement by having former military, law enforcement, and others to take part in securing their community schools. I have no doubt that you would get volunteer (free) support on a daily basis on this. Wanna throw in lunch, even better! The presence of more on-campus authority would have a positive effect on those rowdy disruptive students too!..

My wife herself is a teacher, I’m retired USAF, and would be there for FREE just to be sure she comes home everyday. The local base has tons of great Veterans to draw from. Saving the lives of your neighbors? A no-brainer! Putting our actions where our mouths are, and problem solved. Local PD and districts need to get their acts connected to make this happen, sooner rather than later. This is not the time for 2nd Amendment haters to be open their mouths…we’d be saving their kids too!

My Oath has NO expiration date.

1 Like

I feel teachers should be armed ONLY if they have proper training and are comfortable with the idea of having one while teaching.

No offense, but 1) a lot of veterans now have civilian jobs and can’t just hang around at schools for free to protect them, and 2) I know former service members that I wouldn’t trust around a school when things are calm, let alone when the unthinkable happens.

1 Like

Teachers should be no different than the rest of the citizenry. We should each have the choice to be armed, without “gun-free zones.”

1 Like

In smaller/poorer districts, I agree with you. If feasible, I prefer classroom teachers not be carrying firearms, but a good contingent of non-classroom staff to be vetted, trained, and armed at all times.

Why no school shootings in chicago, Detroit, South Central CA? They use metal detectors and keep all entrances sealed and they have alarms on the doors. No one wants to talk about that. These kids cannot get a decent education and you want them to be armed. Who is responsible when a teacher over reacts? Will they be given psychological testing?

“Teachers should have some sort of indemnification regarding their actions during an incident.”

I say no to this. No ok ne should get a free pass when they pull that trigger, nit even Law Enforcement they have too many unarmed people being shot. We all need to face the same law nit place so above it.

Ohio, I believe requires teachers wishing to carry to undergo psychological testing, further background checks and intensive active shooter training and practice. Most schools cannot afford metal detectors and other security. I would personally prefer a well trained and vetted teacher over a resource officer who is likely going to escalate minor behavioral problems into criminal prosecutions. I would prefer for my son’s school to have a few well trained and armed teachers/administrators.

1 Like

Paying for continual training as well as insurance will cost far more then metal detectors. But I see again that discussion of why no mass shooters happen in schools in the inner cities. Why do people not want to talk about it?