Should a new pistol shooter take their first shots using the benchrest position or a standing position?

Should a new pistol shooter take their first shots using the benchrest position or a standing position? Please explain your answer.

The new shooter has never fired his or her handgun but, has had instruction from a competent instructor before coming to the range on how to operate the gun and the fundamentals of marksmanship.

The first shots will consist of firing 10 to 50 rounds depending on circumstances and will be conducted under the supervision of a competent instructor.

The shooting range can accommodate both standing and benchrest positions safely.

EDIT, March 4, 2022 - The new shooter does not plan to make benchrest shooting a hobby or a career.

1 Like

What? (Admittedly, I hate questions like this.)

What are they trying to learn?

6 Likes

They are trying to learn how to shoot a handgun. Duh.

1 Like

IMHO Standing, two hands. There’s no bench rest in a self defense situation same as there is no “X” on the human body.
This is your enemy!

I use anatomically correct targets! I put new shooters on anatomical targets so they can discern immediately, left shoulder, right hand etc.

Not this!

Does the new shooter understand the caliber they are using?
If a new shooter is going to be using a .50, then he/she better be on a bench rest!
Bench rest with rifles ok!

4 Likes

Neither. Flying through air, head first, gun blazing in each hand,'cuz hollyweird.

5 Likes

standing position

Why would you use benchrest if you are not going to use it for shooting later?
It is the same as you don’t drive your car for the first time standing inside it.

5 Likes

agree 100 percent with @Scott52 and @Jerzees. You are not likely to need a bench rest in a self defense situation.

3 Likes

Standing bench rest is for advanced training

3 Likes

First of all that is a scary question to me. I know how dangerous guns are so you should not be learning about them yourself. If you are holding a loaded gun and don’t know what to do let me tell you. Drop the magazine and rack the slide. What makes it so scary no one knows your knowledge of guns. Until you know how to manipulate a gun and are comfortable you should not load it with real bullets. The problem with learning how to shoot by yourself is if what you learn is not the correct way you are only ingraining bad habits. Watch videos and get help here. But you are making a big mistake if you think you are going to learn how to shoot a gun by loading a gun and shooting it.

1 Like

Where does the OP say the new shooter is not under the supervision of an instructor? Is doesn’t.

1 Like

Thanks , I was worried. As to your question you are right the OP gave us no background info which is what scared me. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

What firearms training and experience does the “new pistol shooter” have?

What pistol are they shooting?

What is the reason they are getting into pistol shooting?

What are their physical capabilities?

6 Likes

Train the way you are going to shoot

5 Likes

Supported the best way possible, maybe from a bag rest if available.
Because it is important to know where the ammo is hitting first
Maybe the sights are off and need adjustment.

If you start off by going full on Jack Reacher first , you’ll never know.

1 Like

From all positions since you never know what you will be doing when the threat comes. I train for sitting in my truck, recliner, laying in bed, standing, any possible way I may stand or sit in a normal day.
I found over the years that training using larger targets(silhouettes) that my eyes look at too much instead of using a 6-8” target where all my shots need to be consistently.

2 Likes

** Safety first. Some outdoor shooing ranges have pistol and rifle positions that are set up differently. If a person is shooting a pistol from a rest in the rifle section the firearm Muzzle ( without care ) is in back of a designated firing line and do not have separations between positions. If that same person shoots standing they are even further behind the firming line.

1 Like

I would say it depends on the shooter. I see alot of responses saying benchrest is stupid. I will say that response itself is stupid. I started my sons and grandson from the benchrest position as they were young and small stature.

Alot of women are of small stature and could benefit greatly starting out shooting from benchrest as it allows them to focus on fundamentals like sight alignment, trigger press, grip etc without trying to hold up a 2-3lb handgun that they have never shot.

We all have seen pictures and video of clearly new shooters “LEANING” wayyy back while shooting. Tell me, might those shooters have benefited more from rested shooting learning some fundamentals over rushing and throwing shots because they are not used to holding that weight extended and trying to line up sights and getting a decent trigger press?

Guess i started my kids out wrong(sarcasm) because my oldest boy only shoots at a master class level.

3 Likes

I think the answers go with the question, which I think is stupid.

My kid is learning to drive, should I teach them left turns or right turns first? Sheesh…

3 Likes

I agree to learn from all positions but a new shooter should not rush into it.

4 Likes

It is ok to learn shooting from benchrest. The problem is, to learn self defence shooting, you will have to unlearn the benchrest form, and learn proper stance, stability, mobility, etc. As @americanwolfman said, a lot depends on the goals of the student.

9 Likes