Should a new pistol shooter take their first shots using the benchrest position or a standing position?

If we are learning to shoot a rifle then yes bench rest if it’s a pistol ,standing

2 Likes

Curious who that is directed at?

1 Like

IMHO this should depend on the shooter… and their current level of knowledge…

as well as age… health… and strength etc…

I can see where taking there very first shots from a bench could be a good thing…

helps with a steadier aim n such… once they get comfortable with it all…

then transition to standing… just my opinion…

4 Likes

Please define the standing bench rest (sic) position. Thanks.

Why isn’t he shooting at the HIGH MASTER or GRAND MASTER level?

1 Like

It’s directed at Everyone including me. The point is there are no stupid questions and the only silly questions are the ones that are not asked. I hope ( WE ) are here to share thoughts and knowledge without Disrespectful criticism.
Happy thoughts.
Thanks

3 Likes

I am a Grandmaster, my son made Master at around 16yrs old, im very proud of him. He has gone on and become a Hotshot, firefighter, and emt and is currently working on Paramedic. He doesn’t have alot of time now for shooting but can still hold his own very well.

2 Likes

Standing.

Unless the only pistol shooting anticipated will be from a rest, it really helps nothing. A braced position with a pistol alters stance, posture, grip, sight alignment away from what a new shooter needs to learn and practice. At least for me, guns don’t even zero to the same point of impact from a seated rest. If the shooter or instructor fears that the gun is “too much”, use an easier gun — .22LR or airsoft until the basics are clear and comfortable.

If the new shooter is actually unsteady on their feet, start braced from the hips down — leaning against a bench or counter, or hip against a post or barricade. But just standing free is best, one guided step at a time.

3 Likes

Maybe im lucky or something, but i run multiple red dot equipped pistols and every single one was “benchrested” and zeroed to be POA/POI for my preferred zero and we check them out to 50yds. I have noticed ZERO difference in shooting them offhand from where they were zeroed. Am i missing something? I have also used this same zeroing procedure for my iron sight equipped handguns. Im not trying to be an a$$ but i have seen this come up multiple times and my testing does not show this.

I benchrest my rifles the same way, red dot or irons. I use the same procedures. I would love to hear more about this and maybe some videos or reference to this.

2 Likes

I like to you use my ctk precision shooting rest to zero pistols and rifles because I’m not that steady anymore and I’ve taken a couple of people out at different times and they’re nervous and where I shoot there’s a big hill for the backstop . The very first shot I say just point the gun at the hill and pull the trigger , don’t aim and close your eyes if it helps . Always after that first shot there’s a smile on their face . Now they know it’s not going to hurt them then the targets come into play and standing free unsupported first . The question was about “the first shots”

1 Like

My point was not that shooting from a rest must produce a different POI, but that shooting open handgun sights to the same zero from a rest and and offhand requires learning technique which is additional load a new shooter does not need to be burdened with. Also suitable facilities and equipment which the new shooter does not need (but which I suppose the OP provides for students).

Long guns are somewhat different in the ease of producing a similar and consistent sight picture, but the Q was about handguns. Optical sights are a completely different matter, where placing a reticle on POA is barely dependent upon physical form or technique, but who starts a new handgunner on dots?.

1 Like

For someone new to shooting, standing. - Bench resting a handgun introduces variables and constraints that don’t exist if your standing, the key point of that is that the shooter has to be " holding on to the gun" in order to use it, and, the gun is free to move in response to the recoil in what I contend is a more natural way. since properly holding a handgun, and awareness of the affects of recoil are some of the most basic keys to shooting a handgun, it seems an unhelpful way to start a new shooter by having them bench rest even their first shots. Dry fire, I would think, might be a better first step.

1 Like

On second thought, let’s ask her!!!

Their U.S. counterparts are thinking, “that’s not how you apply mascara”

2 Likes

In your example I might advocate a benched, and bolted down rifle, and a possibly a length of string. :slightly_smiling_face:

As for the " twin autos" I have no comment.

1 Like

Ok! May have strayed from topic, let’s get back! New pistol shooter…

No bench resting here!

3 Likes

but who starts a new handgunner on dots?.

I will be starting all new shooters i train on the use of the red dot. I have found through testing and with new shooters that i can get them shooting more accurately much faster with the red dot equipped pistols vs irons. I know im gonna have instructors on here gasp and get uptight, but think about fundamentals and what is ACTUALLY involved in shooting.

So tell me this. Are irons or a red dot easier to shoot?

1 Like

Fundamentals, front sight, front sight, front sight! Trigger press, recoil control, front sight!
When red dot fails, so does shooter!
Never used red dot on a handgun and probably never will. Played with a laser sight for a while, was fun, accurate but definitely not completely reliable as batteries can die, no pun intended!

Not to be rude but that is my point. People are making opinions on equipment with no knowledge or experience with them. There is more to shooting irons than front sight, front sight, front sight as well.

I agree lasers can be hit and miss. Modern red dots are EXTREMELY reliable and there are training issues that go along with them and there are practices to learn for if the optic fails or battery dies.

3 Likes

lets assume a red dot as permanently mounted and an integral part of the gun, would you have them learn standing, or bench resting as the beginning stage of their learning? I’m kind of interested in peoples take on the question.

I suggest you make another thread on that topic instead of hijacking this thread.

2 Likes