Shot Placement?

I use something similar to the top target but usually try to keep shots located in the 9ish area. I also usually get advice on how to get my grouping lower so I can ‘hit the bullseye’. I just say thanks and keep shooting where I’m shooting.

1 Like

It was an observation that I had made when I was looking at a chest x-ray. Center mass has always been taught in classes but it was the classes with a 3-D target that started making me think about actual shot placement. The goal is to stop the threat with properly placed rounds.

1 Like

A shooter was getting all upset because he kept missing his target. A friend standing next to him said. “You have hit the target with every shot!” and he replied, " the center X is my target and to miss that is to miss the target!"
Yes, it is splitting hairs but, to improve and to be better should always be a goal.

1 Like

Center Mass all the way. Always aim for the largest part of the body and typically, one hit will stop an attacker.

Ummmmm NO. I’m just gonna leave that there.

I will however reference the knuckle head in Kenosha WI that was shot by LEO 12 times at contact range and only stopped when a bullet hit his spine. OBTW he still lives.

Boolets in the movies are not boolits in reality.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I’m with @Craig6 on this.
Never trust in single shot when in self defence situation.
To be honest… it’s hard to not shoot 2 times under the stress… or maybe it’s just me.

1 Like

“No decent man WANTS to shoot, but if you HAVE to shoot, shoot to KILL, and make that ONE shot COUNT!” - Morgan Hickman (Henry Fonda) to Ben Owens (Anthony Perkins) - The Tin Star. If this doesn’t directly refer to center mass, nothing does - THINK about the actual, real-life videos you’ve seen, or SHOULD have seen. FYI

Good quote…

but

not quite fortunate in self defense scenarios…

:grimacing:

OK… I know… this is Hollywood… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I respectfully take exception to that Hollywood quote in that our objective is never to shoot to kill. It is to shoot to stop the threat. That does however, usually involve shooting for center mass.

3 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone tried “zipper drill” as a fast response to immediate close distances thread.
This teach to place at least 3 shots, starting from pelvis / abdomen and ending within torso 8" area.

For me, that’s the best way to stop the thread.

1 Like

@Jerzees I do the drill one handed from a close retention position–not extended–just out of the holster. Target at 4 feet. 3 shots (the drill gives you 5 seconds with the draw from concealed). We aim for the ‘preferred area’ (center mass), and most of the time the splits are about 2 seconds.

1 Like

:+1:
Don’t you go too high with third shot once you start with center mass?
I know, all is about good muzzle flip control, but I’ve noticed people have tendency to not control it under stress.

1 Like

Next months competition drill with a clown for a target.

1 Like

Jerzy–I don’t–most people who qualify don’t. Consistent shot placement (small groups) is the challenge with unaimed fire, at least for me. I can do about a 7 inch circle; I think that’s what I’m looking for–multiple wound channels to help stop the attack fast.

Yeah. I understand that tight group is nice…but the idea of zipper style shots is to spread the hits in different areas of the assailant to make sure he /she is stoped.

2 Likes

I concur! AND just because a threat is wounded doesn’t mean it’s no longer a threat. We’ve all seen the terrifying vids on youtube of attackers being shot, sometimes alot, getting back up and continuing the attack and even getting their hands on Law Enforcement that are armed and have been taking part in the shooting. You don’t change your threat assessment just because an attacker has fallen or collapsed, if they get back up or raise a weapon, they are still JUST as viable of a threat and at that point they have NOTHING to lose! One must remain vigilant in continuing to assess the threat! Obviously I’m not talking about shooting a guy who is wounded and collapsed onto the ground unless they still have a gun in their hand. If a threat is actually mitigated by loss of weapon and/or they’re unable to resume an attack by injury or simple inability for whatever reason, then there’s no reason to keep shooting. Keeping the gun trained on a mitigated threat however is just good self-defense until Law Enforcement arrives or you can get to safety and to the Police yourself. AND it’s always best if safe to do so, to NOT have the weapon in your hand when Law Enforcement arrives. Secured where you can get to it if the threat reconstitutes, AND secured from innocent bystanders (or worst-case hostile antagonists, but that would necessitate maintaining control and a defensive armed posture) but not in your hands if safe to do so and often not even in your holster. Secured on the ground where you can simply step away as instructed by responding officers… Especially in the sad current environment; officers know there’s a bullseye on their backs and we need to give them all the cooperation and compliance we can. They will be prepared for the worst and rushing in not knowing who the good guys or bad guys are. ALWAYS keep that in mind and do your level best to help them determine that even if that includes shuttin’ yer mouth until they’ve got a handle on the scene…

1 Like

I believe by training to be precise and accurate in training that when you have to respond to an actual self-defense situation your shots will be more accurate. Not that all your shots will be in a quarter size circle. Actually, the FBI Statistics show that a person will shoot at 40% efficiency. So, if you are shooting at 40% you will be hitting various points and stopping the threat. So, training to be accurate and consistent should flow over to SD.

I am definitely not an expert…but all the materials I have seen related to self defense talk about being defensively accurate. It is basically putting rounds high center chest. Take a look at the USSCCA targets in the online store. They also have drills you can run with them.

As others have pointed out in various other threads…self defense is a trade off between speed and accuracy for whatever threat is at hand. If all someone does is train to get perfect sight alingment they will likely be panicking when they don’t have time to do in real life. Same goes with shooting only with 2 hands and or only dominant hand.

Here is hoping none of us are ever put into a position where are training is tested.

:+1:
That is a baseline for self defense.

But to be defensively accurate you need to start training every possible option to achieve that accuracy.
You have to be prepared for everything.
And that’s the moment we start practicing "All Drills of the World " :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like