Recent disaster and practice

With the recent tornadoes in my home state, thought I would get out today. I live 2-300 miles away from there but vultures love to come out after such things. It’s in the mid 60s so put 40 or so rounds in a target 7 yards away. Most were how fast could I draw and shoot, under 2. Finished the last mag one hand shooting. Both right and left

4 Likes

Hmmm 28 or 29 holes in target, so must have had some go through the same holes out of the 40 or so rounds.

5 Likes

With regard to disaster preparedness … proficiency with firearms is a very small piece of the pie.

Food supplies, fuel storage, emergency generators, medical training, material readiness and communications readiness are simply a group for consideration.

Warmth, shelter, hygiene, food, medical care and safety should be part of your plan.

Guns aren’t the only answer. In fact, they are the last resort when all else goes wrong.

Stay safe out there.

7 Likes

Agreed with the number of target hits at fast draw with each hand from 7 yards. 40 or so? Don’t be shy, any shots completely missed the target :)? Don’t know if you have red dot, if not consider your same technic with one, and see the differences, but in any case keep training.

2 Likes

Nicely done my brother @William191 , I have never trained at 7 yards, wonder how I would do. Always 10 yards or more since I try not to allow anyone but a few family members close to me.

3 Likes

Very nicely spoken my brother @Frank73 ,. My prayers and condolences go out to all that are in or around them areas

5 Likes

Those are nice “Stop the Threat” groupings at the HCC area.

Slow down and use sighted fire at the head shots. There should be virtually no deviation on those.
This is all part of that “Balance of Speed and Precision”.

Awesome for posting and not being shy about not being perfect! You would make an excellent student! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have you ever thought of what you might be charged with for shooting someone at 30 feet? He had better be shooting at you! The law just might tell you he/she was not a threat at 30 feet.

1 Like

Soooo… If the person was 30ft and pointing a gun at you, you would worry about how far away they are??? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@FunCycle Good way to look at it but if I had to shoot someone from 30 feet, it would only be in self defense and hopefully not a kill shot so they might learn crime does not pay well.

1 Like

Brother the distance would be the last thing I worry about if a gun is pointing in my direction. :joy:

3 Likes

3 Likes

In some places at that distance, it is not considered a threat at over something like 15 feet. That is what we were taught in our CCW class in South Carolina.

1 Like

I did 4 mags of 8. That’s why I said or so. Why so nit-picky?

1 Like

Thanks for all the love ppl. Guess I won’t post again. See ya, don’t want to be ya

2 Likes

I have never seen a law that stated how far you are limited to defending yourself from an attacker. I had a coworker who was shot at repeatedly from over 100 yards away while camping on public land. We live and work in some very open country here in the West. Some of it doesn’t provide much cover to run to or hide in.

Most of my practice is at 10 yards because that is the minimum safe distance for the steel targets I use. But I also occasionally practice at 30, 50, and even more rarely at 100 yards. Sure the average distance of a self defense shooting is 7ish feet but sometimes criminals don’t follow the averages and not all encounters occur in indoor or dense urban environments.

A person with a knife 30’ from you is just a couple of seconds away from being able to stab or slice you repeatedly. A person with a gun at 30’ is about 1/3 of a second from being able to shoot you. 30’ is a very short distance when faced with an imminent threat.

4 Likes

Hmmmm perhaps I just like truth…4 mags of 8 or so is more interesting…

1 Like

My practice with a handgun is normally 12 yards and closer and moving around on the range when I am by myself. Sometimes I will move out to 25 yards. The rifle is all at 100 yards. The range in my back yard is out to 300 yards. It does get a little bit of use!

3 Likes

Really guys? All he said was he did some shooting. Cut him some slack. Keep shooting bud, watch that front sight.

7 Likes

My brother @William191 , I apologize if what in said offended you sir, it was not my intent. I am only saying I try not to let anyone close to me when I am out. I do not like crowds. So please continue to share with use, we can only learn by one another.

2 Likes