Shot Placement?

Oh, the number of times I have watched this and broke it down bit by bit. As well as, the Hollywood bank robbery. You need the proper tools to perform the proper job.

1 Like

This article talks about continuing to add more skills to one’s tool box:

https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/center-of-mass/

2 Likes

I had no idea what kind of body armor was issued to the FBI agents back then

This is worth reading, too.

2 Likes

This is a great thread with amazing stories, videos and articles.

What it has shown me is you keep shooting until the threat is neutralized and cover is your friend.

Being prepared can’t be emphasized enough. That doesn’t mean just shooting on the range. It also means being vigilant at all times and when something happens…you have to have the him or me mindset. Always know your environment as well as you possibly can and look for cover and escape routes. We all need to being doing this before something bad happens. Not after it already has.

2 Likes

I just posted a compilation of info on the 1986 Miami Shootout, for those who may be interested @Martin36 @Burdo @Todd30 @Jerzees @Steve162 among others

3 Likes

This is a target we practice on.

This is a true vital organ target

This is an actual X-ray of a chest

If you go by the first target, would not you be shooting someone in the stomach?
I always say aim for center mass and center chest. Am I wrong?

2 Likes

Interesting question.

I disagree with that being an assign thing it it smart today with body armor might be the only way to stop a threat.

1 Like

XRay doesn’t reveal the vascular system.

DS00832_IM02048_ans7_largearteries_jpg

The advice I’ve been given is aim between the shirt pockets (assuming the bad guy is wearing a shirt with pockets, I suppose).

Or aim between the nipples (assuming he’s a he and is shirtless?).

1 Like

Center mass between the armpits can be seen without an x-ray.

Center mass between the armpits can be found with a shirt on!

I use something similar to the top target but usually try to keep shots located in the 9ish area. I also usually get advice on how to get my grouping lower so I can ‘hit the bullseye’. I just say thanks and keep shooting where I’m shooting.

1 Like

It was an observation that I had made when I was looking at a chest x-ray. Center mass has always been taught in classes but it was the classes with a 3-D target that started making me think about actual shot placement. The goal is to stop the threat with properly placed rounds.

1 Like

A shooter was getting all upset because he kept missing his target. A friend standing next to him said. “You have hit the target with every shot!” and he replied, " the center X is my target and to miss that is to miss the target!"
Yes, it is splitting hairs but, to improve and to be better should always be a goal.

1 Like

Center Mass all the way. Always aim for the largest part of the body and typically, one hit will stop an attacker.

Ummmmm NO. I’m just gonna leave that there.

I will however reference the knuckle head in Kenosha WI that was shot by LEO 12 times at contact range and only stopped when a bullet hit his spine. OBTW he still lives.

Boolets in the movies are not boolits in reality.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I’m with @Craig6 on this.
Never trust in single shot when in self defence situation.
To be honest… it’s hard to not shoot 2 times under the stress… or maybe it’s just me.

1 Like