Shooting suppressed

Hello all, after a year of waiting I finally picked up my suppressor. It’s a GSL Stealth. I have 2 Hellcats with threaded barrels, and I couldn’t wait to get to the range and try it out. I bought 2 boxes of subsonic ammo to try. I am curious about anyone else with experience shooting suppressed and if my experience is typical. This is my take on it. First of all, it’s filthy. After 3 magazines the gun started failing to feed. I am getting a lot of blow back and debris bouncing off my face. Yes, it is quiet especially the sub sonic but not real enjoyable. My wife and I love to shoot steel and work on increasing our speed. We really do have a good time at the gun club and this suppressor is nothing but another range toy for me and I had high hopes for it but so far it kinda sucks. When cleaning the gun, it looks like somebody dumped ground pepper in it. I end up hosing it out with CLP over a wash tank. Things get really hot also. The top of the magazine is blackened when you drop it and almost too hot to touch, not to mention the suppressor itself. I guess these are the things no one tells you so if you are considering a suppressor, these are things to consider. If you are experienced with this topic I would be interested in your take.

5 Likes

Sorry it’s not all you hoped it would be. I don’t have any experience with shooting pistols suppressed, but I have had the pleasure of a suppressed semi automatic rifle. The rifle got awfully gassy after adding a suppressor, but fortunately, there are ways to mitigate it on that particular style rifle. Suppressors get really hot because they stop the hot gasses from going forward out of the muzzle. You can get a wrap to help with that, but I still would warn against carrying it iwb. I assume pistols work the same way when suppressed, except the barrel is a lot shorter. Allowing for less distance for gas to travel backwards between the hot suppressor and out the chamber end to the frame of the firearm, firearm internals, and you. The gas has to go somewhere, and a majority doesn’t leave through the danger end. As far as mitigation on a pistol, I have no real world experience with that, but there are several here that may be able to suggest something.

3 Likes

A YouTube video coved the same problem of blowback. It was months ago so I don’t remember much about it.
Try looking for a YouTube video that covers that problem.
Good luck and follow up if you find it.

3 Likes

I use Manta covers on my rifle suppressors. Great for protection from getting burned, and only come in one diameter. They’d probably block your sights though. As it is, looks like you don’t have suppressor sights?
https://mantadefense.com/product-category/suppressor-covers/

Most of the pistol guys I know who happily shoot suppressed are shooting.22lr, guessing with that little round a little extra back pressure could be a good thing.

4 Likes

@John_K just wondering if a ported slide, if available, would work? Maybe researching that.

2 Likes

I would get a spring assortment and start increasing the recoil spring weight until you get malfunctions and then drop back one spring from there.

Wolff makes lots of firearm springs.

4 Likes

That crossed my mind while out walking just now. Eyes looking at trees and the lakes,mind thinking about springs and gas blocks :cat2:
Thinking lighter spring for subsonic,but heavier for silencer,with ftf having me think start with lighter Reminds me of my AR issue, which is getting solved by throwing the original gas block on it, and selling it to my neighbor, who absolutely loves that gun :+1:. Adjustable block going on another gun, and setting that one up for night time usage… Regarding malfunctioning gas guns with silencers. hmm,what we have here…

4 Likes

From my experience with suppressors, they are fun to shoot with, but an absolute pain to clean. They definitely get a bit hot as well. I prefer shooting suppressed rifles to handguns personally.

5 Likes

First, you have to ask yourself, why did I get a silencer? When do I plan on using it? I personally recognize my silencer as a specialty tool. I do not use it just to shoot targets. I have it to suppress the sound when hunting coyotes. I just might be able to get more than one shot at those buggers and maybe be able to score more than one in a single setting.
If you save your defense ammo for only self-defense, why not just save your silencers use for only self-defense?

3 Likes