Suppressors day one....gawd

Got my 2 SilencerCentral.com suppressors today, one for 5.56, one for .308. Headed to the club. First off, the Banish 30 didn’t fit my .308 RPR…looks like maybe a rolled thread but hard to say. The 5.56 adapter threads okay, and my .308 muzzle brake goes on the adapter fine, so thinking it’s simply a tolerance stack up issue, but after 14.5 months this really sucked. The 5.56 can fit my 12.5" AR fine, but heck if I know where the shots were going. A few bullets got pushed back into the case, one pushed and case crunched, some ran fine, noticed crazy ejection pattern variation. Got in touch with customer service, then bought a tap and die for the .308. Taking a road trip in the RV for awhile, but will be back to the club with various guns and Allen wrenches to figure out wtf is going on.
Any input from those experienced with cans appreciated. My poi was so far off that a 12" target at 25 yards didn’t get hit despite aiming at bullseye, 3-6-9-12 o’clock, and 6" outboard of the 3-6-9-12 o’clock positions. Took the can off and was back on target.
Fortunately I was able to get my frustrations out with my G17 clone,quick 50 rounds and peppered that target. Yay Casper :ghost:

3 Likes

Cans can be finicky little biotches especially if the gun was not built for them. Threading I can’t help you with but HIGHLY, STRONGLY recommend enlisting the services of a machine shop to get the the can indexed to the bore. as little a 1,000th off at the muzzle can create a baffle strike depending on the length and bore diameter of the can, that’s just math and a good idea.

Tunable gas blocks may be in your future although I’m not real sure why you are getting push back and shoulder crunch unless there is enough gas pressure in the barrel to cause it. That’s iffy because the round ejecting should make the pressure go to zero. That being said I’ve heard where cans can retain enough pressure in the body if the open and close is too fast.

Short barreled sticks and cans are mortal enemies unless you can make them shake hands. Barrel twist, gas port size, gas hole in the barrel, buffer weight and a whole slew of other things attribute to a properly functioning stick. Remember it’s not a race it’'s a destination and this hobby in particular is expensive.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I’d say come on down to Tennessee, and I’ll help you sort it out, but you probably need lots of permission slips to cross all those states.

4 Likes

What brand ammunition? What bullet weight? What gas system length on your barrel?

1 Like

Uhhh, believe it or not, think I’m headed down Wednesday or so in the RV. Heading to Spencer/Chattanooga/ McMinnville in the RV, but got no issues taking any/all detours, except Memphis. Got a bunch of Walmart Parking lots linked in my email :laughing:…and a few state parks as well. Probably headed to NC afterwards, check Western, coastal, then the outer banks.

2 Likes

Used some wolf Gold, 55 grain, carbine length gas system, adjustable block, 12.5 “. Think I used some Freedom Munitions or IMI as well…think the bullet recessed rounds had tarnished cases so we’re probably the Freedom…but other rounds same mag ran fine… except for that accuracy thing :roll_eyes:
I have a 14.5 carbine and a 16” midlength as well. Getting the feeling with the poi, I should just dedicate the 223 can to one gun…

2 Likes

Thanks Craig. Yeah, I just need to tap the lead on the thread, and won’t even go in a full turn. Stopped in and saw a friend who owns a tool and die shop on the way home, and will utilize a jig borer if needed, but pretty sure 90 degrees on lead will solve the fit. I worked on super tight (think F22, 35, AH64) stuff all my life and understand the need for tight perpendicularity and parallelism with these cans. It’s a fine pitch though, so hopefully I don’t cross thread this beeyotch.
I’ve got 2 other AR’s, one carbine, one midlength, and have adjustable blocks on my two carbines. Just kind of spontaneous today, heading to the club, but will take a scientific approach next time, unless Barry54 straightens me out during my upcoming highway hiatus.
Love your “it’s a destination, not a race” line… that’s about what the other 2 guys at the club implied today.

3 Likes

Wow. That’s fast acting! I just committed to a seafood boil Saturday afternoon with a coworker. I’m about an hour from McMinnville. I’ve got a 30 amp RV plug set up out here at the farm, but with all your modern computerized fuel infected stuff, I’d guess I’d need to put in a 50 amp for your rig.

4 Likes

I’ll pm you.

4 Likes

Anyways, thought I’d update. Got a tap and die, and chased a fair amount of titanium out of the Banish 30 suppressor, expecting and receiving no further communication from silencercentral dot com. Put that can on my .308 RPR (Ruger precision), and decided on a gas free day to start, so put the Banish.223 in my Mossberg MVP…sighting in at 25 yards, both guns were 3" low. Quick fix and got on paper at 1, 2 and 300, then for the first time, used up all the ammo I brought whacking steel. I did save one mag of 5.56 for the ride home, as…ya’ never know when the redcoats are gonna’ show :thinking:…anyways, shooting suppressed is awesome, only issue being with hunting season coming up, the club was crowded and nearly everyone else’s gun was crazy loud. Fortunately one clubmate saw me shooting suppressed, got the bench next to me, and had cans on everything. We had a great conversation after all the other guys left.
Next step, try the cans on my 2 other AR’s, bring a wrench for the adjustable gas blocks on one, and maybe swap a BCG in the AR that had issues with the can. At least now I have two rifles zeroed and feeling great suppressed.
Did make it to Barry’s place, and had a great couple days with a very hospitable couple.
Note …a bit ticked at silencer central for my initial issues after their verbal assurances there’d be none, and lack of keeping their word, but the cans are very nice, light and quite effective at…making me want to shoot ALL MY AMMO :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes