Shipping Magazines to States with Capacity Restrictions

I recently converted my Beretta CX4 Storm to accept 92 series magazines so I can use the same mags between my pistol and carbine.

I originally thought about keeping the old mags (three 20-round and two 17-round), but will now probably try to sell them since they’re in really good shape and will probably just sit in a box somewhere.

If I put them on an online auction site, and someone from a city or state that restricts capacity purchases them, who is breaking the law? The purchaser/receiver or the seller/shipper?

3 Likes

To be honest , I have no idea who breaks the Law here (definitely somebody does), but my common sense tells me NOT TO SHIP the products to restricted areas.
I always like my ass to be covered, so whenever I’m selling stuff online, I put restriction notice fe:
will not ship the item to restricted locations”…or something like that.
It is always good idea to have the Law on your side (even if you don’t brake it) :wink:

6 Likes

^^^ this

HOWEVER. you can probably sell them to a local gun store (who will then resell for profit) removing any risk for you. OR buy another firearm that uses those mags :wink:

7 Likes

Typically the onus is on the buyer, but laws vary state to state, so I would not even sell interstate, as you could well be breaking one of their laws. Most people do not even know their own state laws. I do know these mag limit laws are filled with contrary issues.

The one “high” cap mag ban I am familiar with, as a Virginia (VA) resident, is the Maryland (MD) law. The law grandfathers in “high” cap mags already legally owned. There is no reasonable way to know when a mag was purchased. There is no legal means of purchasing them in MD since the law was enacted. However, it “allows” a person to buy “high” cap mags in other states. The stipulation is that the buyer cannot legally ship them to MD. Due to this, MD firearm owners will drive to VA and buy their mags and drive back to MD, thus making it a legal transaction.

Since the law was enacted, the MD police have been finding more “high” cap mags at crime scenes. I guess what is missing from that law was the requirement to educate the criminals that it is illegal to use “high” cap mags in the commission of crime. Obviously if they knew that was illegal, they would not be using those magazines during drug deals, robberies, murders, etc.

3 Likes

Sounds like retreating to me, what will we do when they say we can’t have more than two children, SELL ONE?

4 Likes

The online site you purchased from. Any disclaimers on the site as far as which states allowed to ship to and not ship to?

Not answering your question, but why not just use them? 10, 15, 17, 30… Preload it all and have a blast…I do with my Storm!

2 Likes

@Brad They will no longer fit since the storm now takes the 92 series mags.

Everything you handle has prints, gun oils don’t remove the prints in some cases it actually infuses them.
I wouldn’t & won’t sell any high capacity magazines or get the tax stamps.
I’ll deny they exist. For too long the market has been free to buy them.
Some of mine I have were actually given to ma after my last deployment. Arms rooms were seriously replenished & they needed the room to store the new crates full.
2 entire shipping connexes were received ! So, I got some free-bies :grinning:
They don’t exist!

4 Likes

I misunderstood. Sorry!

1 Like

I was wondering if any one here knows which states have magazine capacity restrictions and what is their limit per mag? Thank you.

Always check USCCA’s website:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/magazine-limits-what-are-they-and-which-states-have-them/

3 Likes

I think China used to have an answer for that.

2 Likes

Keep them. In case you buy another PX4. Storage is easy, and free.

1 Like

Just to keep it complicated :crazy_face:

Illinois Local Restrictions on Magazines .
Aurora
§ 29-49 (f)(2) bans the possession, sale, or acquisition of large capacity feeding devices
(magazines with a capacity of more than 15 rounds).
Chicago
8-20-010 Definitions - Previous ordinances on the restrictions have been deleted and this
sections has all the restrictions for handguns and long guns in Chicago. The new
preemption law voids all handgun restrictions in Illinois.
Franklin Park
§ 3-13G-3 bans the transfer, acquisition, possession, manufacture or distribution of assault
ammunition (any detachable ammunition magazine having a capacity of more than 16
rounds).
Oak Park
§ 27-1-1, § 27-1-2 and § 27-2-1 bans the possession and sale of large capacity feeding
devices (magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds).
Riverdale
§ 9.05.010, § 9.05.020 and § 9.05.030 bans the possession, transfer, acquisition or
manufacture of assault ammunition (a detachable magazine box with a capacity of
“more than 35 rounds centerfire.”).
Note: The above restrictions would only apply to Long Guns. The State has preempted all local
handgun laws.

1 Like

:dizzy_face:

That settles it. I’m keeping them in the closet with my unwanted holsters.

4 Likes

For years I bought so many magazines at gun shows and gun shops. They used to be cheap(pre-COVID and pre Newtown). I would say I have at least 100 “High Cap” (to me normal capacity) magazines of varying calibers (556, .45, 9mm, .308, 7.62x39, etc.) Now I just give them to friends, my sons and include a couple extra with guns I sell, trade, gift, etc. I also have a lot, and when I say a lot, I MEAN A LOT of ammo of all different calibers. I bought it over time the same way I did the magazines. I have plenty of ammo for every firearm I own.

2 Likes