CCW in California with Standard Capacity Magazine

I purchased standard capacity (15 round) magazines for my Glock 19 during California’s “Freedom Week”. Since I own the standard capacity magazines LEGALLY, may I carry them in my EDC in CA?

3 Likes

Welcome to the family! @Thomas224 I’m not too sure, but somebody here will know!

3 Likes

@Thomas224. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:
MAGAZINE LIMITS FOR HANDGUNS?
Does California have magazine capacity restrictions for handguns?

Yes. No more than 10 rounds. However, per the August 14, 2020, opinion of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the district court’s judgment that California Government Code § 32310, which bans possession of large capacity magazines (“LCMs”) that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition violated the Second Amendment. The state of California now has the option of asking the U.S. Supreme Court to review the decision and may seek a delay on implementation of the decision to prevent a surge in purchases.

On April 4, 2019, Judge Benitez issued a stay, and the law criminalizing the importation or sale of the high-capacity magazines was reinstated on April 5, 2019, pending the attorney general’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit. Those who have imported high-capacity gun magazines into California in the week since he declared the state’s ban on the weapons unconstitutional do not have to give up their weapons or be criminalized for owning them.

On March 29, 2019, a federal judge upheld his earlier decision blocking a California law barring gun owners from possessing high-capacity magazines. The judge struck down both the latest ban on possessing the magazines by those who are grandfathered in, but also indicated that everyone has a right to acquire one. Until legal challenges are exhausted, the following historical information regarding PC 32310 will be maintained on the site.

Prior to this ruling, >10 round magazines owned prior to January 1, 2000 are still allowed pending a decision by the district court on whether to grant a permanent injunction and the Ninth Circuit’s resolution of an appeal of that decision.

Any person who possesses any large-capacity magazine (defined as >10 rounds), regardless of the date the magazine was acquired, is guilty of an infraction punishable by a fine not to exceed $100 per large-capacity magazine, or is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $100 per large-capacity magazine, by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year or by both that fine and imprisonment.

The statute required that prior to July 1, 2017, any person who may not lawfully possess a large-capacity magazine do one of three things:

• Remove the large-capacity magazine from the state;
  • Sell the large-capacity magazine to a licensed firearms dealer; or
  • Surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction.

On February 7, 2018 the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California ruled that PC 32310 is constitutional and does not violate gun owners’ equal protection rights.

[Cal. Pen. Code § 32310]

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are blessed to be here.

2 Likes

I think as long as you have a copy of the receipt that the lcm were bought when legal you are ok.

2 Likes

I agree 100 percent @Zavier_D but what if it’s a 15 round mag and they load it with 10 rounds?

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 I can tell you from experience that anyone I knew in combat. One thing they never complained about was having to much ammo left at the end of it.

2 Likes

I hear you brother. These dumb laws about capacity, we need to get our rights back. Bottom line is you can never have enough ammo and we are our brothers keeper and need to defend our loved ones.

1 Like