Mag capacity for California

Greetings y’all, shopping online for additional magazine’s and noticed CA has a no magazine over 10 round law…if my weapon has factory 12 round capacity mags can I just load 10 in it and be safe? Or should I be safe and purchase 10 round mags as I’m traveling to California soon, TY

2 Likes

I am not a lawyer but I think it is the magazine capacity that is the issue. I would buy 10 round mags just to be safe. No point in having it a questionable item. Better to be sure that it is legal.

3 Likes

I am a lawyer, not in CA, but the last time I went to CA, I took the. 2 round extenders off my Glock 10 round factory magazines so I would be in compliance with CA law.
The other question you need to be asking is can you legally carry in CA. CA does not grant reciprocity to any other state’s CCLs. So, unless you are covered under LEOSA, you probably need to reconsider bringing a weapon.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies, guess I’ll have to get a gun safe and lock up my weapon before crossing the state line. Plus store the magazines separate from the weapon. Darn, I don’t like being unarmed but I need to get home for a family emergency. Thanks again

1 Like

You need to be careful taking a firearm into CA. Below is the text of 18 U.S.C. 926a which allows transportation of a firearm form one state to another. You need to look at it closely because of the specific wording of the statute and its relation to CA law. The federal law allows a person to transport a firearm “from any place where [you] may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where [you] may lawfully possess and carry such firearm.”
The question is may you lawfully possess and carry your firearm at your destination? I do not know the answer to that question. You may be able to possess and carry it on the property of the person you are staying with in which case you are probably OK but I have really don’t know.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transpor- tation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such trans- porting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammu- nition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(Added Pub. L. 99–360, §1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

3 Likes

Going with … don’t take any mags greater than capacity of 10 rounds into the state. I have read where that may be prosecuted as if you are importing an illegal product into the state… seriously NOT a problem you want.

3 Likes