Semi auto vs revolver? Which is your preference?

No problem with a .38 in my pants pockets, but then I don’t wear skinny jeans :rofl:

1 Like

This is what I’m considering. Right now I wear a belly band when I don’t belt carry, but I’m not a big fan of all the steps to draw when using a belly band.

I’m a bigger guy so regular jeans I fill out pretty well and a revolver would dig into my thigh too much. Also I like my shirts tucked in and don’t like having to wear an over shirt or jacket all the time.

My Ruger fits in my pocket comfortably and you can’t tell it’s there. Plus I can stick my hands in my pockets and still look casual.

2 Likes

I’ve heard bad things about 380 semi auto malfunctions. If you grab the gun in a funky way in a stressful situation, or even just weak primer strikes. Just over all more likely to malfunction compared to a semi compact gun. Any opinions on this? Revolvers look significantly more reliable.

1 Like

I’ve always preferred revolvers. A few years back I simplified and standardized on .38/.357(including my rifle, a Henry lever action in.357.) Just makes it simpler for ammo purchases/reloading. However, I did keep one each of 9mm and .380 just in case ammo availability is ever a concern. I do think everyone should have at least one revolver and know how to use it. Right now the anti-gunners are coming after ‘assault weapons’ and ‘high-capacity magazines’. When that doesn’t lower crime rates, they will come after semi-auto handguns. I figure my 5-7 shot revolvers will be the last thing they come for.

2 Likes

@Scoutbob Don’t believe everything you hear, the .380 has been around since 1909, 111 yrs. if it was that bad it would have disappeared long ago.
Too many people just like to trash things and or blame the gun or cartridge for their mistakes and shortcomings.
Some guns do not like some ammo and some ammo is :poop: just like some guns are :poop:.
The .380 is considered minimal for self defence but with the right bullet and shot placement it will kill and maim with the best of them. :wink:

2 Likes

My wife had a small revolver that she had some trouble with, so we got her a semi auto and she likes it much better. I was already using a semi auto and really wanted to like the revolver, but I just couldn’t get used to it and got very frustrated with accuracy. I know more practice would have solved that, but for my first EDC, I feel very comfortable with my DAO semi auto with safety in pocket carry.

1 Like

Both! :+1:

1 Like

I have a friend that has a .25 subcompact. His words on it are along these lines “.25 acp is worthless! You would be better off with a 22. The only way you could kill someone with this thing is if you knocked them to the ground, pried their eye open, stuck the barrel on their eye, and pulled the trigger.” LOL :slight_smile:

Agreed about the .380. Hey, a bad guy with a .380 helped kick off WW1. True story. A .380 with good ammo and a good shooter can be quite effective. Good as a 9x19? No, but good enough for close range self defense if that is what you have.

2 Likes

Fork or a spoon? I used both depending if I’m stabbing or scooping.
I carry a 357 Ruger or 10mm Xdm when camping or afield.
I use the same 357 Ruger or my Dan Wesson 1911 when running around town. Honestly I don’t t have a preference , except common sense. If I’m headed to an area of more crime prone which I try to avoid, I’ ll take the 1911 for ease of reloading.
I always carry a small 38 revolver in pocket additionally, so that would disqualify me from the question! He,he

1 Like

I guarantee you if you’re shooting they are not going to ask you the caliber in mid stride. The 380 with proper loads is sufficient.

2 Likes

I have 3 .25 autos, and you couldn’t hit your target at 5’ away with 2 of them, completely useless, but my model 20 beretta is different, it’s well made and very accurate, so I would use it as a BUG or a boot gun. But I do know what he means.

1 Like

For me, it really just depends on what I am doing.
Sometimes I will use both as they each have their own purposes.

I’m mostly a semi-auto guy, but I love revolvers too. They are elegant, cool, and a bunch of other superlatives. If I was going to be stuck in the wilderness with the choice of one handgun, I’d choose a .357 Magnum revolver. And I do pocket carry a S&W 442 frequently. But in all other situations, from other carry styles to competition to plinking it’s going to be a semi-auto.

1 Like

I’m not as familiar with revolvers. I’ve rented a few times, and had fun. I like the reliability that they’re known for. Seems like a great home defense option. But I haven’t found one I’d be comfortable carrying. Maybe I just need someone to show me the light.

Brings up another thought for me in AR if you complete concealed carry class with semi auto you can carry either but if you use revolver that’s all you can carry🤔 not sure what (if any) thinking is behind this also not sure if any other states have this just wondering

My state doesn’t make a distinction (we’re not required to take a class), but LEOSA is similar. You are only authorized to carry the type of weapon that you qualified on.

I have both, I have a Ruger LCP .380 that is my carry firearm and I have a Ruger Vaquero Bisley .357 that I use in tournament shooting. The bisley is a single action only revolver and is beautiful in stainless steel and ivory grips, and is fun to shoot, but way too large to carry although I have done it at times in a belly band holster and although it can be done it is far from comfortable. I am thinking about getting a higher capacity autoloader for daily carry like maybe a Beretta 96a1 chambered in .40 or maybe a Ruger security 9 or something similar.

Safe operation of a semi-auto is somewhat more complicated than a revolver, so I get why a distinction might be made. But even in NRA Basic Pistol you are taught both, and given the opportunity to shoot both. I would hope in a CCW class designed to meet specific state requirements students would be given the opportunity to shoot whatever final qualification test with both, thus solving that requirement. But given how weird state laws are…