Semi auto vs revolver? Which is your preference?

I suspect that was one of the compromises that was agreed to in order to get LEOSA passed. That is, because some states placed that restriction on their own officers they didn’t want those from out-of-state to have greater rights than their own LEOs.

1 Like

My state requires no class, for example.

I would hope in a CCW class designed to meet specific state requirements students would be given the opportunity to shoot whatever final qualification test with both, thus solving that requirement. But given how weird state laws are…

Of the three states that I’ve had resident CCWs in, two have required no class and one has required NRA Basic Pistol or equivalent. But Utah, for which I want to get a non-resident CCW for expanded reciprocity, requires a Utah-specific class taught by a Utah-approved instructor. As best I can tell it is less demanding than NRA Basic Pistol in terms of actual firearms training, but covers Utah law. Once things return to semi-normal I’ll re-schedule that class and find out.

I always qualify HR 218 with pistol and revolver. Gives me options.

1 Like

About 99% of the time I prefer a semi auto, but I grew up with a law enforcement dad who carried a revolver and was taught how to use one at a very early age, I still hold a special place in my heart for the wheel gun, especially the almost mint blued Colt Python 4" my Dad gave me. I do own a couple Ruger Gp-100’s as well.

Here is my unfired Wiley Clapp GP-100.

1 Like

I’m mostly a semi-auto guy, but I have a few wheel guns.

Love the Wiley Clapp! If I was to decide to carry a wheel gun, that is what I would want. Or a Wiley Clapp SP101.

I had a matching set of Wiley Clapp Gp-100’s one blued, one stainless. I kept the stainless, I had to sell the blued one, no matter how much oil I kept on that thing it wanted to try and rust, I couldn’t keep up with it so I got frustrated with the problem and sold it, kinda regret it now.

1 Like

Revolver or Semi-Auto? Yes

2 Likes

I prefer semi-auto for concealed carry.

1 Like

Semi-revolver?

Its been made. Webley–Fosbery Automatic Revolver - Wikipedia

I’ll take a semi. Easy malfunction clearance, great reliability, low maintenance, higher capacity, easy reloads.

That being said, I’d take an LCR or similar size gun over a pocket semi-auto. I’d like to get a small revolver so I can clip it into my sweat pants and gym shorts some day.

1 Like

Beat me to it!

This post just made at least one sale for S&W. Was aware of the technique, just never had my gov. refund $600 to me. :grin:

I am a Wife,Mom, Grandma of 10 ! With Little hands :wave:t2:
I have a 38 bodyguard revolver.
I think it’s the right size for me with skinny little hand and I say hand cause my right hand I can’t use to shoot . That said I’m looking for an ultra lite very little gun to carry but it has to be a revolver because I can’t pull back on the other ones . Anyone know of a littler revolver than a S&W bodyguard revolver!

Have a bodyguard in my pocket this very moment. Don’t think you’re going to find any smaller before dropping down into the “micro/mini” category.

I haven’t bought or looked into a micro or mini but that sounds like the 2nd conceal carry I want , if it can be put into my pocket and a revolver! Do they make them?? Thanks Joni

The S&W Airweight revolvers are listed as 1/3" shorter overall length (OAL) than their bodygaurd revolver. Their PD version also is listed as 2.4 oz lighter than your bodygaurd… although at more than twice the price.

At a similar OAL, the 38+P Ruger LCR is listed as 0.7 oz lighter than your bodygaurd. They also offer that model in 22, 22mag, 327 fed mag, and 9mm… although those caliber variants all weigh in an oz or two more than your bodygaurd.

I’d mention Bond Arms Derringers, but I have no experience with derringers and they bring a slew of compromises.

@Derail - why a revolver ? Just curious because with the exception of revolver is always my first choice. :paraguay::paraguay::paraguay: