Semi auto vs revolver? Which is your preference?

Just pointig it out, it’s all about the physics. You really need at least a 4" barrel to make keep the muzzle flip and muzzle blast down.

1 Like

For EDC and self defense I prefer an auto. If it is a cases of wilderness survival I think a revolver has some serious advantages. The 357 and 44 mag are hunting guns for animals like dear. Both can be loaded with lighter 38 special and 44 special rounds for small game as well. In fact a 44 mag will kill a black bear if you have to.

4 Likes

My personal preference is which one I have loaded in my hand when I need it. I don’t like that sharp stick stuff.
If I have my choice, probably an auto loader with an 18 magazine.

1 Like

I do have a S&W 686 plus. My leather man who made my holster also made my three speed loader pouch. That’s 7 up with 21 on my belt. He also made my cool knife in a matching cross draw sheath. So if 28 won’t do it, I’ll have the sharp stick lol.

2 Likes

I still prefer my double stack autos for carry. The 5" 357 is for snakes and coyotes etc…and fun.

2 Likes

I recently came across some good data on civilian self defense shootings.

Average of something around 2.2 shots fired and only .002% of 1% required a reload.

I usually carry a semi auto but just for fun switch up occasionally and carry a 425 TI in .41rm or it’s litter mate in .44m.

For normal daily carry I never feel undergunned unless I happen to find myself in the midst of a herd of hogs with the revolvers.

3 Likes

Well I do like either, but if I can shoot lefty with a Shakey support like this when I qualified guess I like revolvers. I had to load individual rounds as my wheeler is 6 rounds and the rules on qualifying varied for each set of distances so couldn’t use my speedies.IMG_20190519_024639

2 Likes

I like them both. I love my Berretta PX4 & my back up Smith & Wesson hammerless 38

2 Likes

Our collection doesn’t have any revolvers in it currently. Back in the early 90’s I had a Colt King Cobra .357 that I miss having now. I’ve typically shot pistols more.

1 Like

Semi-auto for me. I’ve handled revolvers but they don’t feel comfortable in my hand for some reason. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I prefer semi-auto pistols for defensive carry most of the time. I do like revolvers though and am considering a Ruger LCR in 9x19 as an alternate option and/or BUG.

3 Likes

I’ve got a LCR 9mm. You will notice right away 9mm has more recoil than 38 special from a LCR and that is with the supplied Hogue Tamer grips.

2 Likes

I have both but many more autos. Two old Colt 38 revolvers, 4" and 6", S&W 686 Plus 357, and Chiappa Rhino 357. Only carry the Rhino…sometimes.

1 Like

I like a semi auto for EDC w/ high capacity mags and a revolver for better accuracy out to 100 yds.
A revolver for hunting and a semi auto for protection, I am good with either.

2 Likes

Im wondering if Revolver is better for pocket carry. It’s bulkier than most semi auto pocket guns, more reliable than the little guns, and I like the idea of shooting out from a coat pocket…

A 5 shot hammerless would be close to ideal for coat pocket carry and you could still carry your semi auto.

1 Like

This is also what I’ve found works for me. .38 hammerless for pocket carry, semi auto for belt carry.

1 Like

Depends on the pocket. Coat pocket yes, pants pocket not so much.

1 Like