Security "Guard Card"

Hi folks, anyone know if One can obtain this “Guard Card” without being employed yet? In other words I’d like to know if you have to get hired then apply for one… just wanna be ahead of the game bc I’m thinking about getting into becoming a security guard but not presently, getting over some health issues and gotta go thru some physical therapy next, Thanks in advance.

Ps USCCA PLEASE choose me for the Daily & Big Giveaway, TY :blush: :pray:

2 Likes

Certification or license to be an armed security guarded is a state-level action. Each state has its own laws and regulations and requirements. There is no national standard. You have to check with your state to find out the qualifications and also whether you can get one on your own or must first be employed by a security company.

7 Likes

@Bruno
Here in the state of VA you can apply and get one without being employed yet. What it does it allows you to work in the security guard field. They also will hire you for 90 days without it as long as your employer allows it.

5 Likes

I once had one and I got it through an agency.
When I changed jobs , I let it expire instead of renewing for a small fee. It was a mistake because I could have picked up shifts when I needed extra money.

Looking at the requirements now, I don’t see where it says you need to be employed first before applying for a card. But, I could be wrong.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Took some digging on oogle but i found the WVa state page, thanks for the heads-up, ima gonna read it after supper!

5 Likes

Check Gun Guy TV on You Tube. He does that sort of thing, He could Im sure point you to someone in your area that could help

1 Like

Do you have a particular link you can point to for VA? I’d be interested in looking at this.

Thanks.

2 Likes

There’s a link for the Virginia DCJS department of criminal justice if you Google it will direct you to choices where you can pick security guard services. Google Virginia Department of criminal justice services.

4 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

The OP did not include a link, but I found one that is has state-by-state requirements
Guard Card
Just remember you have to go to your state’s .gov page as linked to be sure you get the current rules.
Also, once you know your state’s specific terminology you can perform web searches to find training companies.

3 Likes