Sanctuary State: Oklahoma

Oklahoma has just become a Second Amendment Sanctuary State. Local and State agencies will be under order not to enforce any unconstitutional Federal gun controls laws. I am glad I left New York all those years ago, and got transplanted in Oklahoma by the Air Force. I guess we will have to see how it works If Sheila Jackson Lee gets her HR 127 bill passed.

10 Likes

In Arkansas, our governor Vetoed SB298 last Friday, after it easily passed both chambers. The Senate voted yesterday to override his veto. It will be before the House again today, with veto override expected!

Edit to add - watching live at 2:40 pm. A few reps that previously voted Yea now waveringā€¦

Edit - postponed :hot_face:

4 Likes

Arizona joined that club earlier this month; plus weā€™re a Constitutional Carry state. 2A rules in AZ.

7 Likes

The irony here is that March 15-21 reportedly saw the largest number of background checks since 1998. Most of these reportedly were first-time buyers spanning the entire political, socioeconomic and ethnic spectrums. The more people talk about banning or restricting guns, the more people buy guns. A politician doesnā€™t need to be particularly savvy to understand that public sentiment is overwhelmingly against 2A restrictions. Enrollment in basic firearm handling and safety classes by first-time buyers is reportedly up as well. People are passionate about being able to protect themselves and their loved ones. Gun grabber politicians are on the wrong side of this issue.

9 Likes

I read that Arkansas Game & Fish wanted the veto sustained:

ā€œThe act threatens to stop the flow of almost $20 million per year in federal funding for fish and wildlife conservation and outdoor recreation in Arkansas,ā€ a statement from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says. ā€œIt is critical that we act to protect this funding.ā€

Putting aside the fact that we know sanctuary cities supporting blatant illegal immigration still received their federal funding, isnā€™t it disgusting to see how government bureaucrats are willing to dispose of citizensā€™ rights in exchange for their own funding?

4 Likes

Weā€™re still watching Texas proposals on this. Several counties have declare it but not one I live in.

3 Likes

@KillJoy - I was under the impression that HB 2622 was already introduced? I do recall Abbott stating that he supported such.

@Alces_Americanus - correct. AGFC is against it for fear of Fed reprisal. The ā€˜funnyā€™ part of that is the fact that the #1 tourist draw in AR is hunting and fishing. Among residents, I know of only a few folks that donā€™t have one license or the other; most have both. Game & Fish can get by just fine without any Fed assistance. 50M budget surplus last year.

Yes. It certainly is.

5 Likes

Living in the Battle Born state our governor is trying to take away our 2A.
No public hearings, just pass and sign into law.

Yā€™all need to bring back tar and feathers.

4 Likes

1 Like

This is going to be interesting to watch. With a vacillating SCOTUS and two branches of the government so vehemently anti-2A, new restrictions are almost a certainty. I love the fact that states like Oklahoma are embracing the concept of Federalism and blocking these usurpations. However, every state receives copious federal funding each year. Oklahoma, for example, is set to receive $45.1 billion in federal aid. Will the feds start withholding $$ from 2A sanctuary states? Remember that a federal appeals court ruled in 2020 that the Justice Department could refuse to award grants to sanctuary cities. It certainly appears a precedent has been set.

1 Like

@Karacal , itā€™s not just your Governor. The Nevada House and Senate passed the bill in the first place, Sisolak just signed it.

1 Like

Good question which Iā€™ve heard often before. I suppose we may soon find out.
If Iā€™m not mistaken - by law, the Fed canā€™t do that. Then again, they do many things that they shouldnā€™t.

3 Likes

@Robert401 , they already have, under Trump the courts ruled that the Justice Department could withhold grants to cities that designated themselves as Sanctuary Cities. Now Oklahoma wouldnā€™t lose the entire $14.1 billion they receive every year, but they could lose significant chunks of it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction.
Our worthless oathtakers, have failed this state and continue to do so. Iā€™m starting to believe Jacky Rosen is just a cardboard cut out that sends out form letters telling the rural communities that they know nothing and are stagnant to the State, just as Sisolak did on air.

3 Likes

Yesterday Arkansas passed a law that says anything passed on the Federal level after 1/1/21 will not be adhered to in the state and it is my understanding that the governor has or will sign it today.

5 Likes

Born and raised in Oklahoma City. Glad to hear they are on board.

4 Likes

Iā€™m watching ā€œThe Magnificent Sevenā€. The stories during this time of American history are plentiful filled with corrupt leaders putting good people down. This movie portrays the people standing up for themselves. But many lose their lives standing up for there rights. I see America quickly approaching this level of resistance to tyranny. Iā€™m not afraid to die. Iā€™ve been trying to coach my sons to be the same way. Iā€™d rather die than lose my freedom. The problem is that the anti gunners ā€œfeelā€ they can change definitions to get their way. ā€œShall not be infringedā€ leaves no wiggle room. The second amendment says nothing about hunting or muskets. Youā€™ve been duly warned. Donā€™t tread on me. Or as we say in Texas Come and take it!

2 Likes

Itā€™s a great movie. But you know it was originally a Japanese film, the Seven Samurai, directed by Akira Kurosawa, right? I guess some struggles are just universal.

2 Likes

1960 film. The Seven Samaria is a 1956 film.
I did a search and discovered there are several movies. Looks like a movie night is in the making.

1 Like