Safer Without Guns?

I’ve found the negative aspects of social media give everyone a platform to present their life’s highlight reel without any of the bad. The bad is left out and the photos are filtered to the point where you don’t recognize people any more. And I won’t even go into keyboard warriors.

But it isn’t all bad. Social media has provided a variety of platforms for education, knowledge sharing and a way to connect with others who think like you but live half a world away. It brings like-minded people together in a way that was almost impossible before.

Social media has fueled the fire - and also provided the fire extinguisher. It’s all in how we choose to use it.

I choose to use social media for good (insert Super Hero reference) and will continue to insist that this social platform stays away from the Dark Side even if they do have cookies.

3 Likes

I really don’t know if our community is considered social media or not, I suppose it is of sorts If so; this is the only social media I have and if the community is not considered social media then I have no social media. No Facebook, no Twitter, no anything. I just do not trust the government. Local, state, or federal.

1 Like

I agree. It was through social media, that many of us were invited here.

2 Likes

And if you have good situational awareness you can pick those shooters out before the bullets start flying your way.

There’s nothing we can do to keep bad guys from getting their hands on guns, fortunately it’s very rare for them to start just randomly shooting at passing vehicles.

1 Like

We need that heart button in addition to the thumbs up!

3 Likes

And that’s what I’m trying to explain, why it would be safer without guns.

Yet it isn’t possible, not on this planet so why even entertain it as an idea?

1 Like

Every word written here is “theoretical”. But my wish that it would be safer without guns was an answer to @Liam’s question…

Everyone has it’s dream… That would be mine as well…

1 Like

Not ragging on you but the more appropriate word would be “fantasy”.

There is no possible way we end up with a world in which bad guys/gals don’t have guns.

If by an act of divine intervention all the guns were removed from the plant tomorrow there would be 40 or 50 million black market producers pouring them out by the truck load by Saturday.

I can also point out several incidents for you of people bombing passing cars with melons, pumpkins, rocks etc badly injuring and killing drivers.

3 Likes

good point. some drop rocks over bridges, too, and kill people. there will always be a way to kill people, and no better way to protect yourself than with a firearm.

to answer my own question, i don’t believe we’d be safer without guns. criminals were not created with the advent of guns. criminals existed before guns. criminals raped, murdered, and hurt before guns. guns made us equal to our enemies, to those out to rape, murder, and cause harm. i do believe that if everyone owned a firearm and took it seriously, as the matter of life and death that it is, that we could be safer. the same people that did bad things with guns would, in any other dimension or realm where guns don’t exist, do bad things with anything they could get their hands on. the idea of owning a firearm and making it legal for citizens to do so is to allow us to protect ourselves from those bad people that, no matter what laws are put into place, will continue to do bad things.

@WildRose… do not kill @Liam’s dreams. Each of us was 19 … :wink:
@Liam, that was a good question “Safer Without Guns?”… even if not possible to clearly answer… :+1:

thank you. i was just wondering everyone’s answers and points of view.

Some people would be safer. But we’d be less equal. People that are physically weaker would have no real way to defend themselves from lethal threats by stronger people (or animals). And the citizenry would have no defense against foreign or domestic threats, which is the purpose of having an armed citizenry.

But the impracticality of this can’t be ignored. As Ice T famously said, “I’ll give up my guns when everybody else does.”

1 Like