Safer Without Guns?

And as The Highlander discovered, you end up wearing the tale tale sign of a trench coat everywhere.
There can be only one. :smiley:

edit: sorry, not really productive…

2 Likes

Haha haha I forgot about the highlander!

2 Likes

But I will have the advantage because…I am not really left handed!!!

3 Likes

Actually you can, it’s just one more aspect of “defensive driving”.

No, it can’t save you from a random bullet falling out of the sky and striking you but you certainly can learn to recognize and avoid potential threats that are around you on the road.

There will never be any gun control laws passed the will disarm the criminal class as they are the least inclined of all of us to follow any law.

With the advent of cheap mills and lathes as well as 3D printers guns are only going to get ever easier for criminals to get their hands on.

2 Likes

Totally off topic but most people don’t realize just how true that is. They built the gun and then designed an aircraft to carry and fire it! HA!

2 Likes

Systematic aggression is largely a product of perceived asymmetric power. Now that many nations have nuclear weapons there are no longer nuclear wars. Without guns the asymmetries would worsen and more. Men are generally stronger than women so sexual assault would increase, ceteris paribus, as it did in Australia. Also, less targeted weapons would be used in place of guns, so bombs and arson use would increase all else being equal, with more collateral damage. And even worse, acid attacks would increase because unlike guns acid is cheap, more easily concealable and less threatening. If a thief wants to overwhelm someone with force and the threat of a gun is not available, then the use of acid is the next best choice for many.

There are technical reason why guns are superior choices to make peace; these are just some of them.

4 Likes

You are amazing!..Oh, there’s something I ought to tell you…I’m not left-handed either!! :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you!

You don’t by any chance have six fingers on your right hand, so you?

2 Likes

I love the conversation here! Great back and forth – some lighthearted comments (Princess Bride) some very serious comments – agreement and disagreement – all expressed and received respectfully.

Personally, I think the thing that has changed is the lack of respect for people. There’s a meme going around reminding people that just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I have to hate you. I’ll post it if I can find it.

4 Likes

My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.
I think I need this on a holster

3 Likes

Absolutely @Dawn. As a whole, society is less cordial. Social media has fueled that fire.

4 Likes

That’s an unusual question…why do you ask?..….Alas no…sorry.

You seem like a decent fellow, it is a shame I have to kill you……

(one of the greatest movies ever! Especially when it comes to quotes! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

You seem like a decent fellow; I hate to die.

OK, this can go on for quite some time, and we haven’t even touched on Fezzick or Vizini. Inconceivable!

3 Likes

What I meant is not a random bullet coming from the sky.
I was mentioning shooters standing along the road. That’s what gun makes easy.
If someone wants to kill “for fun” let him be brave enough and stand face to face (and then try), not shoot from distance.

1 Like

Good point, @Dawn. I see the breakdown of civil manners and lack of basic respect as another symptom of the sheltered, screen-fed echo chambers in which many people confine themselves.

Public civility (what my folks called manners) requires practice and only becomes stronger through exposure to differing opinions and how they are presented. Why? Because it makes you think. Exposing yourself only to ideas you already agree with, being expressed in similar language to your own, ends up making everything else sound harsh and foreign. It can also make someone with a slick, tailored delivery sound reasonable while espousing the most outrageous ideas.

Serious debate is a contact sport. Manners are the rules of the game and civility is good sportsmanship.

3 Likes

I see your point, @Jerzees. I can infer from your statements that you are coming at this from certain principles which value the concepts of a “fair fight”, a “level playing field”, and maybe even “manly pride” in a good old western movie sort of way.

The difficulty with these principles is that they only really work when everyone involved holds to them. When only one side believes in them they can be used as an exploitable chink in the armor. Not that these values are a bad thing in and of themselves, but they only function within the framework of the social contract, and the thing about contracts is they are only enforceable after both parties have signed.

3 Likes

Roger that brother…We’ll have to bring the movie to KC with us in March so we can all sit around reciting it like a version of Rocky Horror Picture but without the costumes and acting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

there are plenty of killers that kill for fun, face-to-face. in fact, most killers who kill for fun kill face-to-face. that’s what makes it fun for them. sexually-tinged, sometimes. Dennis Rader strangled 10 women in his career, Ivan Milat stabbed backpacking women in Australia, Ted Bundy never used a gun, nor did John Wayne Gacy. they used knives, blunt object, their hands; all to get up close and personal and to kill for fun.

1 Like

I’m in! Popcorn for everyone!

Until then, my friend, sleep well and dream of large women.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. Mankind has been violent throughout history. All you do is make knives, hammers, & bats more popular. I’m thinking this question is based on the hypothesis that firearms are never invented period. We’re not safer without guns. Humanity can be barbaric & animalistic. Firearms are not the issue & never have been. :v:t5:

2 Likes